House Price Crash Forum

Unemployment Rate Falls To 7.7% - Interest Rate Rises Soon?

Each new job had added to the debt,,what an economy we have.

This is exactly what I think every time Cameron comes out with his "million private sector jobs" line. Many of these "private sector" workers are taking home more in benefits and tax credits than they do in wages. It would be cheaper for the taxpayer if they remained unemployed.

There are many thousands of people that are not working.....do not claim any benefits whatsoever and are not retired...are they included as part of the unemployment figures? ;)

I wonder if that includes me, as, although I'm retired, I don't yet qualify for my state pension so get no benefits whatsoever. Perhaps the tax I pay on my private annuity puts me in the retired category, though.

1378914738[/url]' post='909390357']

This is exactly what I think every time Cameron comes out with his "million private sector jobs" line. Many of these "private sector" workers are taking home more in benefits and tax credits than they do in wages. It would be cheaper for the taxpayer if they remained unemployed.

It's basically a financial bribe. This and the previous government knew it and are ultimately complicit in the system.

You're right that mortgage rates aren't the same as base rates. But the OP was framed in terms of the base rate so I followed suit.

According to this forum the typical variable rate mortgage is about two points above bank rate,

http://www.housepric...ase-rate-uk.php

So I'll rephrase my forecast, over the life of this parliament variable mortgage rates won't exceed 3%, and over the life of the next parliament variable mortgage rates won't exceed 5%.

The UK average Standard Variable Rate (SVR) for July 2013 was 4.33% up from 4.24% a year earlier.

http://www.parliamen...ers/SN02885.pdf

There are many thousands of people that are not working.....do not claim any benefits whatsoever and are not retired...are they included as part of the unemployment figures? ;)

don't forget the many thousands of DLA, I know a guy who gets a small pension and cant get the dole ,but he has to sign on for his stamp ,and now hes got to prove hes looking for work although he doesn't get any money from them.