House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DM123

First Time Buyer… Advice Wanted On Buying A New Build And Negotiating!

Me and my partner currently rent a property, we have been saving for a 10% deposit so we can purchase a property. Ideally we wanted to wait a few more months to make sure we had enough to cover all fees and any immediate furnishings and I always thought that I would like an older house, but I have seen a new house advertised that I really like the look of, I have been glued to property websites for the last year to get an idea on prices and what’s available. We have not been to any viewings yet, we haven’t looked into getting a mortgage in principle yet either.

The house is a new build, ready to move into (isn’t equipped with washing m/c or fridge but we have these anyway, and the garden just looks like mud from what I can see! Everything else is there though) in a row of 4 new builds, the rest of the area around it has a lot of older houses, so it isn’t on a big new development, it is up for £225k, I don’t know how long it has been on the market for. I ideally would like to pay £200k. I have been reading loads of forums about negotiating on new builds, which seems like some people have got a lot of money off but could anyone give me an idea of how much we could offer/negotiate realistically? Or about negotiating on the solicitor/stamp duty fees being paid for us, I have read in some forums that this can be negotiated in the price too, would an offer at 200k be laughed at?!

The house is a 2 bed terraced (if the end of terrace new build is available I would go for that!) 225k is not expensive in this area. I don’t know very much about the estate agents who are advertising this property but it looks as if they are the developers too.

Please forgive any of my naïve comments I am a first time buyer and that’s why I’m asking for help!

I wouldn’t rush in to buying anything, I just really like this house as it has a lot of the elements that I want and wouldn’t need any furnishings/decoration doing immediately if we didn’t have the money right away, so wondered if it might be worth viewing then putting in a lower offer if we were interested.

1 last thing… on the forums that I have read so far it looks like some people have managed to get a large discount off new builds… if there is a reason behind this, ie because most new builds being a lot worse quality, smaller, cheaply built etc, does this mean I should avoid them or could they be worth it?! I don’t want to live in a house that starts to crumble in a few years!

Daily Mail 123?