House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Properties Raided To Catch Dodgy Landlords

I saw this on the Daily Politics. Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales estimates 25% of the 40,000 landlords in his borough are 'criminals', to use his own word. Some Border Agency interest in who answers the door as well.

Edited by Will!

Huge numbers of modest houses designed for a single family have been split into flats housing multiple families in London zones 2-4. It's not just illegal immigrants occupying them either, I know middle class professionals who have bought such flats to raise small children in.

In many ways these conversions are much worse as dwellings than purpose-built flats. The sound-proofing is often poor, the way services like water and electricity have been split is complicated and difficult to maintain, layouts are inefficient in terms of the staircase/landing/hallway to room ratio, rooms are strangely shaped and not large enough for the function they are supposed to serve etc.

Quite a lot of zone 2-4 London could do with having the 2 storey (+/- loft conversion) houses knocked down and replaced with 4-5 storey purpose-built apartment blocks containing 80-120 square metre flats. It can be done well (see Barcelona for a good model) but I very much doubt the UK planners are up to it. Instead they will keep throwing up towers which are much too tall for the residential area they are situated in and are subdivided into 40 square metre flats.

Anyway, it seems like the council are just checking that the paperwork for these conversions is all in order, they aren't actually doing anything about too many people being crammed into too little built space.

Edited by Dorkins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23945741

Extortionate rents lead to people on low income having to put up with shi*holes like this. Would love to see these kinds of landlords put out of business, and their properties forcibly purchased and renovated.

As it always was. That worst place could almost be Rachmann-era, though it was certainly less (over)crowded than back then, and probably has better mod-cons than in my time in London slum HMOs in the 1980s.

What's different now is the HMO licensing rules that make that kind of thing illegal, so the council can prosecute slumlords.

Huge numbers of modest houses designed for a single family have been split into flats housing multiple families in London zones 2-4. It's not just illegal immigrants occupying them either, I know middle class professionals who have bought such flats to raise small children in.

In many ways these conversions are much worse as dwellings than purpose-built flats. The sound-proofing is often poor, the way services like water and electricity have been split is complicated and difficult to maintain, layouts are inefficient in terms of the staircase/landing/hallway to room ratio, rooms are strangely shaped and not large enough for the function they are supposed to serve etc.

Quite a lot of zone 2-4 London could do with having the 2 storey (+/- loft conversion) houses knocked down and replaced with 4-5 storey purpose-built apartment blocks containing 80-120 square metre flats. It can be done well (see Barcelona for a good model) but I very much doubt the UK planners are up to it. Instead they will keep throwing up towers which are much too tall for the residential area they are situated in and are subdivided into 40 square metre flats.

Anyway, it seems like the council are just checking that the paperwork for these conversions is all in order, they aren't actually doing anything about too many people being crammed into too little built space.

I've always thought that around some tube/rail stations in the outer zones that the housing is too low rise considering the infrastructure . It makes sense to have density near these facilities but they must be suitable for the occupants eg not 3 kids in a cramped 2 bed flat.

As it always was. That worst place could almost be Rachmann-era, though it was certainly less (over)crowded than back then, and probably has better mod-cons than in my time in London slum HMOs in the 1980s.

What's different now is the HMO licensing rules that make that kind of thing illegal, so the council can prosecute slumlords.

Yes, but when the local planning debt is full of your cousins, the councillor your brother, and you're holding 100 Pakistani passports belonging to your tenants, whose going to say anything? I think since the borders have been opened we're seeing levels of corruption the like of which havent been seen in 100 years. It might seem abnormal here, but in most of the world things still work on the basis of family and tribal relations, not the rule of law.

but in most of the world things still work on the basis of family and tribal relations, not the rule of law.

Whereas we have a system of law that works on family and tribal relations.

Not to mention a history of other such systems of power and patronage. Not just the public school you pay good money for, but equally the council house someone else pays good money for.