House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

No Diet Threads This Week?

I'm sure all our diet afficiandos have already seen it, as it seems to be from 2008, but here's a vid comparing high and low fat diets.

There are a couple of things I like about it.

1. The guy is clearly very open minded and unbiased about the subject.

2. It actually deals with an earlier criticism of mine, that these studies are unrealistic beacause they usully lock them in a room and control their diet for e few weeks (not that those aren't nutritionally/chemically/biologically interesting also, just not relevant for real life). This one educates the participants and leaves them to implement it. I'd also like to see one where they gave them controlled diets for breakfast lunch and maybe an afternoon snack, and watched how the body dealt with the remaining time on it's own.

3. His hair. His jacket thing. I couldn't decide, which one I couldn't take my eyes off.

Results summary (it's a very long video)

The high fat won comfortably, with about 8% reduction after 6 months, but a bit went back on thereafter (if I can see that scale correctly). That was twice as much as the others.

Note that although the high fat diet was called "Atkins", the participants weren't actually following it strictly enough to be in ketosis.

There was also an interesting analyis at the end that showed "insulin insensitive" (in short, "fat") people within the sample were the main ones benefitting from the high fat diet, and for the "insulin sensitive" eiither diet worked. Also, hidden by all the averages, there was a massive variation in individual success rates for all diets.

I'm sure all our diet afficiandos have already seen it, as it seems to be from 2008, but here's a vid comparing high and low fat diets.

There are a couple of things I like about it.

1. The guy is clearly very open minded and unbiased about the subject.

2. It actually deals with an earlier criticism of mine, that these studies are unrealistic beacause they usully lock them in a room and control their diet for e few weeks (not that those aren't nutritionally/chemically/biologically interesting also, just not relevant for real life). This one educates the participants and leaves them to implement it. I'd also like to see one where they gave them controlled diets for breakfast lunch and maybe an afternoon snack, and watched how the body dealt with the remaining time on it's own.

3. His hair. His jacket thing. I couldn't decide, which one I couldn't take my eyes off.

Results summary (it's a very long video)

The high fat won comfortably, with about 8% reduction after 6 months, but a bit went back on thereafter (if I can see that scale correctly). That was twice as much as the others.

Note that although the high fat diet was called "Atkins", the participants weren't actually following it strictly enough to be in ketosis.

There was also an interesting analyis at the end that showed "insulin insensitive" (in short, "fat") people within the sample were the main ones benefitting from the high fat diet, and for the "insulin sensitive" eiither diet worked. Also, hidden by all the averages, there was a massive variation in individual success rates for all diets.

Maybe you should start a diet thread for this week? :P

Am listening now on you tube - I haven't seen this before. Recently (May to now) have lost 2 and a half stone by the tried and tested method of extreme stress and forgetting to eat. Have plateaued now with weight stable for a few weeks. I would like to shed another 6-8 lbs to be at the same weight as I was at 18. Measurements nearly there. Very motivated and will try just about anything within reason.

Isn't it pretty much the case that, when studied over longer timescales, no one diet wins out conclusively?

Which is why, even though it sometimes gets slagged off as a cop out, I stick with the 'people are different, whatever works for you' mantra.

Isn't it pretty much the case that, when studied over longer timescales, no one diet wins out conclusively?

Which is why, even though it sometimes gets slagged off as a cop out, I stick with the 'people are different, whatever works for you' mantra.

If you mean longer than a year, then possibly, but according to this study it was statistically significnt up to a year. ( for the high fat vs "the other three diets", as they were not statistically different from each other). it's also possible that the Atkins dieters were more motivated than the others in this study.

The guy in this video is also pretty much "different stuff for different people"

I might start another just to be on the safe side.

Thanks - I wouldn't want to miss it :)

Okay I have listened to it all now - basically as long as I follow some diet I will lose weight? As long as that diet suits my body chemistry. Not too much about exercise was there, that surprised me. I have been swimming - at least 2 miles 3 times a week. Maybe I just need to up the exercise a bit or do something different, in addition to the swimming.

Currently doing 16 hour fasts every day - it's quite easy. Maybe I should do 2 days of a complete fast?

What sort of swimming are you doing ? How intense is it ? Proper head under water etc ?

Whilst i think swimming can be great - because you are fully supported - it can be done with less effort than something like running or cycling (which is also supported but only a bit)

I see people in the pool who are strong swimmers and do it regularly for long distances - but are pretty big units.

You don't really see the same as much for serious cyclists or runners.

I don't think by itself its the greatest exercise if wanting to lose weight. Great combined with something else though.

For examples have a Google of frank chalmers and colleen Blair.

She became first to swim from John o groats to orkney.He tried but just failed.

They have both done the channel and she has also swam Irish sea. Mega impressive. I can't even imagine thinking about doing something like that :o

Anyway point is they are both pretty large. Swimming doesn't seem to require you to be of a certain size to be very good at it.

Its very different for running and cycling.

What sort of swimming are you doing ? How intense is it ? Proper head under water etc ?

Whilst i think swimming can be great - because you are fully supported - it can be done with less effort than something like running or cycling (which is also supported but only a bit)

I see people in the pool who are strong swimmers and do it regularly for long distances - but are pretty big units.

You don't really see the same as much for serious cyclists or runners.

I don't think by itself its the greatest exercise if wanting to lose weight. Great combined with something else though.

I was going to automatically answer by saying that when I swim - I swim seriously. And compared to what other people do, I probably sound like a serious swimmer, but I actually don't really push myself as hard as I could. I am a strong swimmer and find long distances easy. I need to speed, time and race myself. Keep away from breast stroke and butterfly it ( am thinking it's been a while and will kill me!) but that's good.

I do kayak a bit, usually summer rather than winter though. Climbing - that might be good? Just don't fancy a gym.

What about a 'masters' class at a local pool ? They do them most places. Pretty cheap too. Think they do lots off training and stuff rather than just a steady plod for an hour.

I think the same about running and cycling. People who plod don't seem to see the same results as those who really push themselves. Main reason i am quite 'vocal' when it comes to these sort of exercise threads.

I honestly just think most who think it doesn't work - aren't doing it properly.

And are probably too proud or shy to just join a club or go out with someone who will give them a new view on things.

Pretty much - if you don't finish your swim and almost feel physically sick ? Not trying hard enough.

And the fact you even say yourself its easy - speaks for itself. :D

What about a 'masters' class at a local pool ? They do them most places. Pretty cheap too. Think they do lots off training and stuff rather than just a steady plod for an hour.

I think the same about running and cycling. People who plod don't seem to see the same results as those who really push themselves. Main reason i am quite 'vocal' when it comes to these sort of exercise threads.

I honestly just think most who think it doesn't work - aren't doing it properly.

And are probably too proud or shy to just join a club or go out with someone who will give them a new view on things.

Pretty much - if you don't finish your swim and almost feel physically sick ? Not trying hard enough.

yeah your right

must try harder :)

What about actual pool? I'm prepared to play a lot of it down my local, in an attempt to lose weight and gain fitness.

What about actual pool? I'm prepared to play a lot of it down my local, in an attempt to lose weight and gain fitness.

I find i am quite decent after a few pints - then it turns to shit. :D

I should start an allotment based one:

This week I have mostly been eating runner beans and courgettes.

I've never seen foreign food! :lol:

I've never seen foreign food! :lol:

Others in the house wish they'd not have to see another courgette or runner bean. Or tomato for that matter. Tons of them this year.

Others in the house wish they'd not have to see another courgette or runner bean. Or tomato for that matter. Tons of them this year.

I pulled up the last of the cucumbers today. They kicked out so much fruit I almost got to hate them. And as for the runner beans, they're still at it the *******s.

Not watched the OP docu yet but I did read some of the comments (I know, this is as bad as reading the DM, supporting one of the big 3, revealing your love for Spandau Ballet or venturing onto the main board!)

Anyway, as usual there's the usual utoob arguments but there's a post to this one:

It is 10 years old now but I think it will still mostly apply. I'm not veggie (or vegan) but I found that to be a refreshing perspective in that a veggie was criticising a roomful of veggies about not being 'proper veggies'!

I pulled up the last of the cucumbers today. They kicked out so much fruit I almost got to hate them. And as for the runner beans, they're still at it the *******s.

Yeah I have started on picking very young beans, the older ones are being left to riped and dry. And I'll either stew them in the bleak winter months or plant the buggers next year.

Not watched the OP docu yet but...

There's actually a ten minute summary

, but his hair and jacket seem a bit more subdued, and you miss out on the excitable woman in the audience orgasming whenever the colours on the slide show change.

I haven't looked at yours either.