House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Nearly Quarter Of Men In Asia-Pacific Admit To Committing Rape

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/10/asia-pacific-rape-survey

Nearly a quarter of men in the Asia-Pacific region have admitted to committing rape at least once in their life, according to a new survey, with more than half of those respondents claiming they raped for the first time while in their teens.

The study covering six countries – Bangladesh, China, Cambodia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea and Sri Lanka – found that 10% of men admitted to raping at least once a woman who was not their partner, a figure that rose to nearly 25% when rape of a partner was included.

Nearly 75% of those who had committed rape said they did so because they felt sexually entitled; more than half said they did it for entertainment.

A staggering stat if accurate.

Can we have the definition of rape that was used? Feminists have diluted the word so far, that 40% of women in one study in a US university didn't even realise they'd been "raped" - the definitions were set by the survey promoters. The bar can be set as low as "He bought me a drink before consensual sex".

Deeply disturbing, but I have no problem in accepting these figures are realistic.

Shocking that rape was/is seen as entertainment. Hopefully moral outrage and media coverage will start sending the message that rape is not acceptable in any circumstance. The four men in India responsible for the death of the girl on the bus have been found guilty today.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/10/delhi-gang-rape-four-men-guilty?CMP=twt_gu

Deeply disturbing, but I have no problem in accepting these figures are realistic.

Shocking that rape was/is seen as entertainment. Hopefully moral outrage and media coverage will start sending the message that rape is not acceptable in any circumstance. The four men in India responsible for the death of the girl on the bus have been found guilty today.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/10/delhi-gang-rape-four-men-guilty?CMP=twt_gu

Yet another reason why mass immigration from such parts of the world is damaging.

Yet another reason why mass immigration from such parts of the world is damaging.

Impossible to deny that societies and cultures view women differently.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-10/one-in-four-men-surveyed-in-asian-study-say-they-raped.html

Thought this was interesting.

The researchers found that men who had themselves been abused as children were more likely to commit rape. Men with a history of physical violence against a partner, or who had paid for sex or had had a large number of sexual partners were more likely to rape someone they didn’t know

There are stats which show similar trends in Western society which I can't link to ATM as they are paid journals.

There was a piece in the Today programme on Radio 4 around 7am this morning in which a representative of the Asian Women's Network presented their research into grooming, in which it is claimed that of the 35 cases that presented immediately, 66% of offenders were Pakistani and victims could be from any race, background or religion, incliding groomers' own background. You can find it in the iplayer version of today's ( 10 Sep) Today at around 56 minutes into the programme.

Humans are only predatory animals at the end of the day...im always reminded of the stanford prison experiment when I read stuff like this. With no authority above you and no little chance of being caught, would you do the same?

Id like to think i would be different, I have a very logical, maybe aspergers type mind and generally stay out of the way of other people, regardless of whether to hurt or to help, but who knows for sure.

Impossible to deny that societies and cultures view women differently.

I suspect it's mostly a case of being able to get away with it.

I imagine a little bit - however the way you are brought up is more important imo.

Look at the countries in this survey - Papua New Guinea is one of the most violent places on the planet for example.

I imagine if we did a survey of 'have you ever macheted someone to death?' in a place like Rwanda - people would be equally shocked.

Different things are acceptable in certain countries. Doesn't make them right of course - but can explain why people in these countries are more likely to do them. If you grow up around stuff like this - its not going to seem strange or 'wrong' to many people.

I agree - the boundaries put in place by whether society accepts behaviours or not contributes greatly here IMO. If society views women as meat they will be treated as meat.

I imagine a little bit - however the way you are brought up is more important imo.

Look at the countries in this survey - Papua New Guinea is one of the most violent places on the planet for example.

I imagine if we did a survey of 'have you ever macheted someone to death?' in a place like Rwanda - people would be equally shocked.

Different things are acceptable in certain countries. Doesn't make them right of course - but can explain why people in these countries are more likely to do them. If you grow up around stuff like this - its not going to seem strange or 'wrong' to many people.

Yes. How you are brought up is influenced by the culture your family lives in. If the culture allows behaviour it will happen and you are right IMO that women are raped probably doesn't seem like any big deal to the countries the research was done in. We are judging it by our cultural standards of acceptable behaviour. That said, I hope awareness will promote change.

Executive Sadman mentioned the Stanford prison experiment - valid point. I would like to think I would never harm any body in any way - am I 100% on that? Depends on the circumstances I suppose.

I agree - the boundaries put in place by whether society accepts behaviours or not contributes greatly here IMO. If society views women as meat they will be treated as meat.

Yes. How you are brought up is influenced by the culture your family lives in. If the culture allows behaviour it will happen and you are right IMO that women are raped probably doesn't seem like any big deal to the countries the research was done in. We are judging it by our cultural standards of acceptable behaviour. That said, I hope awareness will promote change.

Executive Sadman mentioned the Stanford prison experiment - valid point. I would like to think I would never harm any body in any way - am I 100% on that? Depends on the circumstances I suppose.

Just had a Google of that. Very interesting.

I imagine most will think they would never resort to such things - but in reality many would ?

Look what happens in prisons in regards to sex. Many men and women end up quite happily going with those of the same sex. I imagine most would never have imagined they would do such a thing. But they do.

Us humans are one very strange species.

I imagine most will think they would never resort to such things - but in reality many would ?

Look what happens in prisons in regards to sex. Many men and women end up quite happily going with those of the same sex. I imagine most would never have imagined they would do such a thing. But they do.

Most people's sexual desires, needs and fantasies are repressed out of religion, society, etc. If you open minded read research into the subject our carnal needs are far darker than many of us would ever admit to others.

Most people's sexual desires, needs and fantasies are repressed out of religion, society, etc. If you open minded read research into the subject our carnal needs are far darker than many of us would ever admit to others.

We are all a bunch of deviants ?

Quite possible. Every girl i have known has been up for rather 'non-standard' stuff. Not much persuasion required either.

We are incredibly strange for sure :)

Reflections from some of the participants in the Stanford Experiment, 40 years on, are worth a wee duke- if the study interested you.

http://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=40741

"gay for the stay" really interesting - perhaps a combination of lack of privacy making masturbation a social event, the need to release sexual tension and a fundamental human need for physical contact with other humans? Or a non practising homosexual person with social boundaries removed? Complicated :blink: