House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

You And Yours - Radio 4 Today

Call You and Yours: The Property Market

Duration: 55 minutesFirst broadcast: Tuesday 10 September 2013We're told that the housing market is improving but is that your experience? We want to know if you're selling your home - has it been an easy process or has your house become a millstone? According to the National Housing Federation a quarter of parents have at least one grown-up child living with them at home. We'd like to hear from you if you're one of them. And get in touch if you're trying to buy. We want to know if the market really is moving outside of London and the South east.

At a guess, it'll be loads of people whinging about not being able to sell their house - its been on the market for 3 years now, etc etc.

Nobody ever mentions the most striking number about the housing market - the low number of transaction.

Outside of the SE, there are b.gger all housing selling. Within the SE it'll be driven by foreign buyers.

We've not really had a housing crash - We've had a housing crash deferred.

No doubt Ray Boulger will crop up.

Yes, it probably will be the usual estate agents ramping the market or some other vested interest ramping house prices - i.e. someone from RICS or Right move or one of these self proclaimed property gurus who nearly always are estate agents in some form.

Then it will be of self-entitled baby boomers moaning about how they cannot sell the house, which they bought 40 years ago for £2,000, for their deluded and ludicrous half a million or million plus asking price.

I doubt that any time will be given to the simple obvious facts - that British house prices are at a ludicrous multiple of salary and that the housing bubble not only never burst but that Osborne and Carney are now inflating the bubble even bigger than anyone could possibly imagine.

I doubt the Radio 4 presenter will state the obvious that higher food and fuel bills are considered bad so why do the British consider higher and higher house prices to be good? It will probably just be a mix of estate agent ramping and some old f*rt from Tunbridge Wells whinging on about how he or she had to sacrifice back in the 60s or 70s to buy but failing to realise that they could never afford to buy their own house today at current ludicrous asking prices and scary multiples of salary.

I dare You And Yours to prove me wrong.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

rarely listen to ' you and yours' but may out of interest see what the sentiment is amongst the chattering classes.

the most telling phrase in their blurb re the programme is 'We're told that the housing market is improving but is that your experience?' - that is the only thing they understand - seeing it from the seller point of view -prices are going up, ergo the housing market is improving.

from a buyers point of view (and if the sellers are honest unless they do not need another home when they sell theirs) lower prices would be the 'market improving'

BBC Radio 4 wants people to contribute to a programme on house prices today.

Email: youandyours@bbc.co.uk

They gave a phone number out but said it so fast I could not take it down.

Evil start: "5 million extra houses needed in the next 20 years, according to experts". "5 million"?!?! I've never heard of it, and it will obviously scaremonger both "greens" and xenophobes. Evil b@stards!

On now

First caller is someone who was working on NMW job, had to move back in with parents as cost of living and rent too high.

... says she wants to save up for a mortgage

:(

... now moving onto housing fedaration/social housing ... but it all seems hopeless doesn't it

quite bearish up to now, callers saying HPI is not a good thing, why is the rising price of a house a good thing and not the price of everything else.

Investors are buying houses for subsequent renting out - putting up prices.

London is unlike anywhere else.

... studio guests are coming on, first person very bearish (fellow HPCer) but there is an EA 'housing expert' is also on

Bloke whose wife and him enjoy caravanning suggests that first time buyers should buy a caravan.

... but what about planning?

Bloke whose wife and him enjoy caravanning suggests that first time buyers should buy a caravan.

I suggest they should shove said caravan up where the sun don't shine.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Evil start: "5 million extra houses needed in the next 20 years, according to experts". "5 million"?!?! I've never heard of it, and it will obviously scaremonger both "greens" and xenophobes. Evil b@stards!

5 Million homes will just about cover the Polish immigrants we've already let in.

What will we do about the rest of us?

...over the "next 20 years". THE CRISIS IS HERE.....NOW... TODAY!

They have no clue how massive this crisis is.

At a guess, it'll be loads of people whinging about not being able to sell their house - its been on the market for 3 years now, etc etc.

Nobody ever mentions the most striking number about the housing market - the low number of transaction.

Outside of the SE, there are b.gger all housing selling. Within the SE it'll be driven by foreign buyers.

We've not really had a housing crash - We've had a housing crash deferred.

No doubt Ray Boulger will crop up.

That is it exactly, but now with pressure on rates we are closer to the whole lot coming down than ever. Keep the faith.

caller really bearish HPCer (name? george?) .... saying he's waiting for the crash and when interest rates rise it will be carnage

When the UK`s economic debt bomb explodes, five million will leave the country.