House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Blackout - C4

...was on earlier on..the premise is that a cyber attack overloads the national grid, which then blows the entire country's leccy....Bit of a meh, but interesting....now on 4od

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/blackout/4od

If you manage to watch it, I'm not easily scared, but I nearly shat myself near the end...

BTwNtVzCUAAMoW7.jpg

Thought it was interesting. Trending on Twitter. Wouldn't take long for things to unravel.

The tin-foil-hatters with their beans and generators would be best to be far removed from the crowds.

Thought it was interesting. Trending on Twitter. Wouldn't take long for things to unravel.

The tin-foil-hatters with their beans and generators would be best to be far removed from the crowds.

...after thinking about it, they mentioned that the tagging systems would go down after 36 hours without power...what about prisons? do they use traditional keylocks, or are they on electrical switches / relays?

...after thinking about it, they mentioned that the tagging systems would go down after 36 hours without power...what about prisons? do they use traditional keylocks, or are they on electrical switches / relays?

I imagine lock and key would be more resilient. H&S might be an issue.

It is amazing how reliant we are on power and how lacking in savour faire. Imagine a war situation! Or an alien attack!!!

I imagine lock and key would be more resilient. H&S might be an issue.

It is amazing how reliant we are on power and how lacking in savour faire. Imagine a war situation! Or an alien attack!!!

After watching something like that, you come to doubt that everything you rely on to protect you, or just even survive is no longer there...you effectively go from a supposedly civilised society to becoming scavengers within just a few days...

After watching something like that, you come to doubt that everything you rely on to protect you, or just even survive is no longer there...you effectively go from a supposedly civilised society to becoming scavengers within just a few days...

Yes you only have to look around. The more we have, the less resourceful we become. The we watch and live our lives vicariously the less empathy we have.

Note the madness we see at Christmas when the shops are are closed for a couple of days; or with minor shortages.

I recollect that back in the 80s New York was without power for 2 days. The crime rate went down.

I thought the guy's rant about his wife not wanting to move to the countryside was quite funny actually.

I don't normally watch this sort of thing. But I made an exception as I'd supplied some (about 3 seconds) of footage.

Must admit, it was pretty scary. There is relatively little slack In modern society and many people show very little resourcefulness.

In fact, I happen to know that a number of backup facilities and resources are much less effective than depicted. For example, most hospitals would not have coped as well as was portrayed. Mobile phone networks would not have worked as well either (most masts don't have battery backup, only the big main coverage ones do, but they have very little capacity for calls and data).

I don't normally watch this sort of thing. But I made an exception as I'd supplied some (about 3 seconds) of footage.

Must admit, it was pretty scary. There is relatively little slack In modern society and many people show very little resourcefulness.

In fact, I happen to know that a number of backup facilities and resources are much less effective than depicted. For example, most hospitals would not have coped as well as was portrayed. Mobile phone networks would not have worked as well either (most masts don't have battery backup, only the big main coverage ones do, but they have very little capacity for calls and data).

Just In Time may be our undoing one day.

Come to think of it, JIT would have made Japan particularly vulnerable to the effects of the tsunami a couple of years ago. No slack in supply chains.

I doubt our National grid is vulnerable to a total, week-long outage, but things like coronal mass ejections, software failures, terrorist actions, or simple fuel shortages are risks.

A few years back, NZ had an outage for a week or two that they couldn't find the cause of. And, of course, the question remains, is UK generating capacity going to be sufficient a few years down the line from now?

Security of gas supplies to Europe are what the Syrian battle is about, I think, too.

Really insulting film. Shame. In the frequent power cuts in the seventies we just got on with it and helped each other out. This film seemed to want to say that we would collapse without the government, I am currently not of that opinion.

Really insulting film. Shame. In the frequent power cuts in the seventies we just got on with it and helped each other out. This film seemed to want to say that we would collapse without the government, I am currently not of that opinion.

Correct. But back then - dare I say it - people knew their neighbours more because population movements were less. That leads to helping each other out because you have built up a level of trust.

I hate to have to break it to you but there are also scenes in Die Hard 4 that are slightly implausible. Apparently televised drama is not real life. Whoda thunk it?

I hate to have to break it to you but there are also scenes in Die Hard 4 that are slightly implausible.

Really? That's a shame. I haven't seen it yet and was hoping it followed the hard hitting true to life format of the first 3 films.

I hate to have to break it to you but there are also scenes in Die Hard 4 that are slightly implausible. Apparently televised drama is not real life. Whoda thunk it?

I threw a car at a helicopter just the other day, where have you been?!

It was a reasonable stab at what would happen in the event of a protracted outage. You only need to look at fights for fuel during tanker strikes to see how thin the veneer of civilization is. They got a couple of things very right:

- The emergency services are scaled for reasonable circumstances. If circumstances become unreasonable, then you enter a vicious circle of lack of cover, leading to more unreasonable behavior. This was the fear during the London riots, where plod had to be pulled from all over the country, leading to problems elsewhere.

- People in cities are stuffed. Even if they are well prepared, the density of people means that their stuff will get nicked.

- You need to be low profile. Travelling and clearly having "stuff" is a problem. Think inverter + lead acid batteries rather than generators.

- You don't want to be ill, and you don't want to get into a fight.

- Safe water is the key issue. Humans can survive for a long time with minimal food, but not for long without good water.

Some thoughts:

- You need to be isolated. Isolation gives you space and privacy. The best thing to do in these circumstances is hole up and wait - either for order to be restored, or for complete carnage to ensue, and you are at least fit and healthy enough to defend your corner.

- Being rural is a good idea. You probably have better bonds with your neighbours, and there are more opportunities to forage for food/water. People who live on farms have "stuff" by virtue of being rural, rather than TFH preparations.

- Strikes me that the best and cheapest TFH preparation would be some water disinfection tablets.

- Strikes me that the best and cheapest TFH preparation would be some water disinfection tablets.

a water purifier: http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Katadyn-Hiker-Microfilter_10191323_10208_10000001_-1_

invented by the same guy who developed the gas chambers I think.

although I live in a small town and our water flows straight off the mountain behind the house with no treatment or pumping, which is nice.

Living rural is all well and good but then the only city dwellers who are going to make it out to your rural hideaway will be the tough ones who survive the initial carnage. Good luck with defending yourself against the leanest meanest city dwellers.

I read Fernando ferfal's blog every now and then and he seems to think that rural isolation is not necessarily the best option during a societal collapse.

Living rural is all well and good but then the only city dwellers who are going to make it out to your rural hideaway will be the tough ones who survive the initial carnage. Good luck with defending yourself against the leanest meanest city dwellers.

Are they going to walk?

If they do they will need to be well fed and fit into the bargain both unlikely events given the theoretical circumstances.

I too can recall the power cuts of the 70's. They were only ever off for a few hours.

People were 100% not as reliant on electrical power as they were then, few food freezers, 1 tv per house, people still in the main prepared their food from raw ingredients, processed food was no where near on the same par we had today. People had to learn how to cook properly. Every town and village had a butchers and a greengrocer and didn't have a Tesco monolithic superstore.

These in general are skills which have been lost today.

People were still experienced in getting by from the war years and making do, in fact if the grid had gone down back then for a week people would have coped far better.

It's an eery coincidence I hope, that I just finished reading 'Eden', and it reminded me of seeing this thread yesterday :ph34r:

Great read by the way.

I daresay that in many parts, particularly those maybe with lower population density and a good sense of community where people actually know each other, people would help each other out.

However, in areas of heavy population where communities have broken down I can well imagine carnage after a protracted power outage of the nature portrayed in the programme.

Also of course these days we are a lot more dependant on electricity and modern amenities than even 40 years ago. People were a lot more self-reliant back then, too. Looking at a few of the idiot characters portrayed in the show last night I have to admit I was hoping that reality would give them a hard smack because they really lacked even the most basic common sense or ability to reason - which I would say is an accurate depiction of many members of the public today.