House Price Crash Forum

Men's Shirts......

Darkman

HOLA441

Maybe you can enlighten me on shirts.....

Some shirts claim to not require ironing. Are these shirts really crease free? And what are they made from? I have some shirts that seem naturally crease free and don't require ironing ever, but they don't say non-iron on the label. One in particular stays in great shape but doesn't say what it's made of on the label. It's very thin material.

Do you have any "stretch" shirts? I bought a used Gap shirt yesterday and noticed the material actually stretches. This may not be new to you :D but it is to me. Seems like a great idea, because close fitting shirts can be restrictive (while driving etc). But is there a disadvantage to these shirts? Do they crease a lot more? The shirt I bought is full of creases.

Any other shirt advice is welcome. Is it a case of certain more expensive materials are always better?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Maybe you can enlighten me on shirts.....

Some shirts claim to not require ironing. Are these shirts really crease free? And what are they made from? I have some shirts that seem naturally crease free and don't require ironing ever, but they don't say non-iron on the label. One in particular stays in great shape but doesn't say what it's made of on the label. It's very thin material.

No you still have to iron them but they're easier to do than some others. Some really good shirts are a pain to iron.

Do you have any "stretch" shirts? I bought a used Gap shirt yesterday and noticed the material actually stretches. This may not be new to you :D but it is to me. Seems like a great idea, because close fitting shirts can be restrictive (while driving etc). But is there a disadvantage to these shirts? Do they crease a lot more? The shirt I bought is full of creases.

Any other shirt advice is welcome. Is it a case of certain more expensive materials are always better?

I bought a stretchy one by accident once. It stretched more round my belly than my chest though (see my starting at the gym thread).

Always go for 100% cotton - anything else feels cheap and will make you sweat more. TK Maxx is great - Pierre Cardin, Rochas and Baumler are all less than £20 and will last for ages.

HOLA444

No you still have to iron them but they're easier to do than some others. Some really good shirts are a pain to iron.

I bought a stretchy one by accident once. It stretched more round my belly than my chest though (see my starting at the gym thread).

Always go for 100% cotton - anything else feels cheap and will make you sweat more. TK Maxx is great - Pierre Cardin, Rochas and Baumler are all less than £20 and will last for ages.

When a man's right - he's right. Always buy cotton, it looks so much better too. :)

HOLA445

When a man's right - he's right. Always buy cotton, it looks so much better too. :)

It does, but I can't be arsed with the ironing! :blink:

HOLA446

It does, but I can't be arsed with the ironing! :blink:

Are you a man? Wear cotton shirts, don't ever iron them.

If anyone complains that your shirt needs ironed, take it off and hand it to them. Don't forget to say "thanks".

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Does anyone else end up with yellow under-arm areas on their white shirts?

Also, black t-shirts.... For some reason, the black t-shirts I own end up 'storing' armpit smells which never quite go after washing.

This doesn't really happen with other colours, just black.

Are my armpits rascist?

HOLA4412

Also, black t-shirts.... For some reason, the black t-shirts I own end up 'storing' armpit smells which never quite go after washing.

Are my armpits rascist?

Wash at 60 degrees plus.

HOLA4413

Are my armpits rascist?

Yes, I went through a stage years ago of soaking stuff in ammonia to get some of it out which was partially successful. Work shirts have yellow (perspiration) and/or hard white stains (anti-perspirant), t-shirts the hard white stains. It may the (in)efficiency of the old Bosch washing machine but 60 degree wash clears some smells but it accumulates over time. My M&S easycare work shirts are getting to the stage of not being able to get rid of the smell after 30 or so wears/washes. If someone can recommend some shirts that are reasonable price, decent quality, don't store smells or under arm stains then I'd like to know.

Otherwise I'm partial to RL Polo proper shirts for smart wear. Bought a couple in NY and if you get some from an outlet store, they're a decent price and nice to wear.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I buy tm lewin shirts. Good quality and nearly always have a 'special' 4 for £100 deal on.

They do different cuts too. I like the slim fit. Depends on body shape of course.

They do different arm lengths too. Best to get your measurements done - then you can buy online and get delivered.

HOLA4416

I buy tm lewin shirts. Good quality and nearly always have a 'special' 4 for £100 deal on.

They do different cuts too. I like the slim fit. Depends on body shape of course.

They do different arm lengths too. Best to get your measurements done - then you can buy online and get delivered.

TM Lewin and Thomas Pink use really good quality cloth, you can see a sort of 3D effect in the pattern and they last for years and years.

HOLA4417

TM Lewin and Thomas Pink use really good quality cloth, you can see a sort of 3D effect in the pattern and they last for years and years.

You have to sift through the shirts at TM Lewin to find the better ones, though. Some of their shirts aren't that high of quality, even though they're generally all the same price. Thomas Pink used to be great quality, then about 5 years ago they appear to have decided to cash in on their name, selling lower quality shirts for the same price. They've maybe wised up lately, though, and started selling better shirts again.

For formal work shirts, I think that Charles Tyrwhitt has the best shirts for a decent price. Their "no iron" shirts (which do actually need to be ironed, after using wash-in laundry starch for good measure) are as good as almost any shirt out there, but a quarter of the price.

HOLA4418

What happened to the shirts you can wear 100 times without even washing. Can't put link up as on fone.

They are the future, made of wool so fine it feels like cotton. Bound to filter down sooner or later.

Stretchy shirts - no way would I wear one, bar seersucker shirts when in a very hot climate.

I buy polycotton these days, I used to wear double-cuffed heavy cotton shirts as referenced above but I find the quality of polycotton much improved on what it was, plus it has a wicking effect and, if hung straight from the tumble dryer, genuinely does not need an iron.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

You buy shirts? What's wrong with making them? About £5-10 buys you enough cotton to run one up on the sewing machine.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

They are the future, made of wool so fine it feels like cotton. Bound to filter down sooner or later.

Stretchy shirts - no way would I wear one, bar seersucker shirts when in a very hot climate.

I buy polycotton these days, I used to wear double-cuffed heavy cotton shirts as referenced above but I find the quality of polycotton much improved on what it was, plus it has a wicking effect and, if hung straight from the tumble dryer, genuinely does not need an iron.

Here's a link to the shirts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2316679/The-shirt-wear-100-DAYS-washing-ironing.html

HOLA4425

When you say different arm lengths, do they do extra-long sleeves without changing the rest of the shirt?

Shirts are a problem for me again since I started fasting.

Archived