House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Labour Cash Crisis With Trade Unions Set To Slash Funding Sparking Fears Of Bankruptcy

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-cash-crisis-trade-unions-2252249

Already £8.7million in debt, there were fears today Labour could soon be staring down the barrel of bankruptcy as union chiefs slashed financial support for the party.

In the worst crisis facing Ed Miliband since he became leader, the GMB cut its backing by £1.1million.

And senior party figures believe it is now “inevitable” the party’s largest donor Unite will follow suit.

If all 15 affiliated trade unions went down the same path, Labour would lose £9million a year – seriously denting it 2015 election war chest.

There were increasing fears the cut in donations was revenge for Mr Miliband’s reforms of how Labour is funded after he was accused of being in the pockets of the unions by David Cameron – whose own party is supported by vast donations from City fatcats and hedge fund chiefs.

Tensions have been growing between Labour and the unions since the Falkirk fiasco when the party was forced to suspend the selection for the Scottish seat amid hotly-contested claims Unite, led by Len McCluskey, had tried to rig the process for its favoured candidate.

However, unions have also been unhappy with the party for some time over policies.

I really shouldn't but... :lol::lol::lol:

5218019233_69f1dc8d14.jpg

Our political elite appear to be finding out if you keep thieving from the taxpayer popular support goes.

The Tories are in a similar financial predicament although it's going to be quite funny if one of the major parties has to declare bankruptcy after leading the nation into bankruptcy.

I'm sure their corporate friends will want to bail them out.

Perhaps a change in the law so political parties can't go bankrupt.

1. England and Wales

By section 427 of the Insolvency Act 1986 a debtor who is adjudged bankrupt is incapable of

being elected to or of sitting or voting in the House of Commons, or on any committee

thereof, until the adjudication is annulled, or until he obtains his discharge from the court.

A court which adjudges a Member bankrupt forthwith certifies the fact to the Speaker. 'The

disqualification of a Member adjudged bankrupt ceases on his discharge (except where the

adjudication is annulled or the award is recalled or reduced without the individual having

been first discharged) or in the excepted case on the annulment recall or reduction. Where a

Member’s disqualification continues for a period of six months, the Speaker is informed and

his seat is thereupon vacated. A new writ may be then moved.1

So will all Labour members be stopped from voting?

Labour betrayed the British people, and most of all the poor.

They ignored the biggest housing crisis the country has ever seen, and instead profited from it.

I will NEVER vote for them again. I'm ashamed I ever did.

They ignored the biggest housing crisis the country has ever seen, and instead profited from it.

But then the tories introduced Help To Buy and deliberately pumped the bubble some more. In a way that's worse than what labour did ?

Labour will never be allowed to go bankrupt. The elite have far too much to lose allowing the Punch and Judy show to come to an end.

Imagine what would happen if they were to be replaced by a party that actually represented the people.

Exactly. But the thought of voting for any of the others makes me shudder.... Spoil your ballot paper, it's the only way forward imo.

Just think, if enough people did it.... What can I say, I'm a dreamer.

The leadership of the British Labour Party are neither British nor labourers. They're nothing but a self-serving cynical elite who will do or say anything to stay in power.

But then the tories introduced Help To Buy and deliberately pumped the bubble some more. In a way that's worse than what labour did ?

I agree. The Conservatives have taken the betrayal to a whole new level. I will NEVER vote for them again either. (floating voter)

Lib Dems are even worse than the other two, so I'm going with smaller parties from now on. UKIP, Greens etc.

I'm amazed it took so long.

The Labour party needs a good slap, in my opinion. There are something like 25 million private sector employees in this country with basically no political representation. (Consevatives = retired voters, Labour = public sector workers)*

In my local constituency in Somerset, despite the presence of local labour candidates for the seat, somehow we end up with a councilor from Kensington being selected as the official labour candidate. Seems like we have a london-based party using party lists (a major problem with PR systems) which seems to rate the interests of lobbying concerns higher than its voters, reasoning that the voters have no alternative.

*Popular vote C 10,703,654 L 8,606,517 LD 6,836,248

Frankly neither of them are on our side. Both only exist to provide the illusion of choice.

Choice died in suspicious circumstances on 12 May 1994..

I agree. The Conservatives have taken the betrayal to a whole new level. I will NEVER vote for them again either. (floating voter)

Lib Dems are even worse than the other two, so I'm going with smaller parties from now on. UKIP, Greens etc.

When exactly did the Conservatives say that they wanted lower house prices? Help to Sell is horrible economic policy, but it's hardly a "betrayal", being an obvious electoral bribe to their prime political constituency.

In my local constituency in Somerset, despite the presence of local labour candidates for the seat, somehow we end up with a councilor from Kensington being selected as the official labour candidate.

Until recently I lived in Kensington and ironically I was 'represented' by Sir Malcolm Rifkind who got this safe seat after he failed to find any Scots to vote for him. He expensed his train travel to Scotland as somehow being for the benefit of his London constituents. The whole system stinks.

Maybe Labour should try having some policies which would improve the quality of life of the average worker like lower house prices and humane tenancy laws, cheap public transport for the masses instead of vanity projects like high speed rail for CEOs and senior civil servants who want to get to Birmingham 20min faster, shifting the burden of taxation away from wage income and onto rents, abolition of handouts for landowners paid for by the council tax of cleaners living in bedsits, a criminal investigation into what the bankers have been up to for the last 20 years etc.

No doubt it would feel weird after decades of doing the right thing for hardworking rentiers.

Hmmm.

So, who's better?

Hmmm.

So, who's better?

None of the above, but thats not a real choice for change.

I agree with DogTired around the 3 main parties.

I've voted Conservative all my life, but I feel betrayed by this current shower of s***e. Promises broken include, Reduce public spending, Reduce the deficit, Reduce immigration & No NHS Cuts…. I could go on.

Libdems… tuition fees need I say more to highlight how they’ll say what you want to hear, but do the exact opposite.

Now usually when you’re disillusioned with the party/party’s in power you’d look at the opposition, but the Labour party are just as useless. Firstly I blame them for causing this mess. They should be the party of the people, but they’re not. They should be able to rally people to rise up against the corporate loving conservatives or lying LibDems, but they don’t. They should have policies to improve life for working families, but they don’t.

So I’m forced to look at smaller parties to see who fits my needs and this year is the first time in my life I have joined and paid support for a political party.

UKIP

I know a lot of people don’t like them, I don’t agree with some of their polices and sometimes they don’t help themselves by saying the most un PC things, but they do appear to be more of a party of the people than any of the other 3 main parties.

UKIP the common sense party.

The unions have fallen into Millibands trap! Why try to keep thousands of union members happy, when you can get the same monies from selling a seat in the Lords, or a government contract, or a voice in cabinet.....

Alright, he looks like an Aardman creation at the moment, but with a little work you'd struggle to tell the difference between him and Cameron, physically and politically.