House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Welsh Assembly Consultation On Stamp Duty Powers

I would welcome suggestions from HPCers for putting my tuppence in for this consultation with regard to how the Welsh Assembly could, if they had stamp duty powers, change it radically.

In particular, I want to suggest something with regard to:

1. Holiday/Second homes.

2. BTLs.

Both the above seem to be predominantly driven by people from outside Wales, and even from outside the UK, so I am thinking of saying something about how such people, whether as individuals or through corporations, should be charged higher levels of stamp duty.

My reasoning being is that such people are driving up the price of housing within Wales, putting housing beyond the reach of many Welsh people and hence forcing more people to be renters, costing the govt more in housing benefits.

I welcome suggestions.

Stamp duty plans explained to business and housing industry leaders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-23945754

Lower the stamp duty for Welsh buyers and burn down the houses purchased by foreigners.

That should keep the Welsh in the market.

We tried some of that but it wasn't that successful in the long term ,kept a few fiermen in work though

Lower the stamp duty for Welsh buyers and burn down the houses purchased by foreigners.

That should keep the Welsh in the market.

That was my first thought and I am sure it would have gone down well in Cardiff Bay.

Stamp duty is the wrong tool for the job. If you want to cut down on empty homes and discourage BTL, you need a regular charge paid by the owner I.e. not paid by the tenant, and not a one off fee tied to the transaction.

Ironically pure land based taxes are great candidates for devolution, but would never be permitted by the landlords in Westminster.

You could target 2nd homes and/or BTL with higher rates, but you can't technically charge people (EU people anyway) a higher tax than the locals because of the EU common market legislation we've signed up to.

I'd sell it to them as a blanket high rate with a generous exemption for people buying a primary residence.

I would approach it from the other side. Bang up stamp duty to high levels with discounts if it is your home (one and only). And no getting around it by saying oh well we have separated, as within a marriage only one home is allowed until after the formal separation, I.e. divorce. Could still be got round I suppose but a lot of effort.

I would welcome suggestions from HPCers for putting my tuppence in for this consultation with regard to how the Welsh Assembly could, if they had stamp duty powers, change it radically.

1. Holiday/Second homes.

2. BTLs.

Both the above seem to be predominantly driven by people from outside Wales, and even from outside the UK, so I am thinking of saying something about how such people, whether as individuals or through corporations, should be charged higher levels of stamp duty.

My reasoning being is that such people are driving up the price of housing within Wales, putting housing beyond the reach of many Welsh people and hence forcing more people to be renters, costing the govt more in housing benefits.

I welcome suggestions.

Stamp duty plans explained to business and housing industry leaders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-23945754

We've had a Labour government in Cardiff since the setting up of the Assembly. They aren't interested at all in improving the lot of the Welsh population. They follow what the Labour party tells them centrally in London. I can give a number of examples of this happening. It is a party which no longer has any ideology and just exists to retain power and all that goes with it. God knows what they plan to do with these taxes? What they really need are a proportion of income tax to link income with expenditure. But Labour aren't too keen on that. It would probably mean an end to their decades long hegemony in Wales. Also, apparently the housing inspectorate hasn't been devolved. Again, housing considerations are viewed from an EnglandandWales perspective. Local authorities can already set higher rates for holiday homes. There has been talk recently of this happening. Something needs to be done. I was told a few weeks ago that 60% of the houses in Newport, Pembrokeshire are holiday homes.

1. Holiday/Second homes.

;)

I was told a few weeks ago that 60% of the houses in Newport, Pembrokeshire are holiday homes.

If that truly is the case, we are no longer talking about a handful as in the 1970's, but a serious socially damaging statistic.

This should be something that even a Labour Government can work with re equality issues etc.

Perhaps a 100 per cent duty, refundable to those who work in the area.

If that truly is the case, we are no longer talking about a handful as in the 1970's, but a serious socially damaging statistic.

This should be something that even a Labour Government can work with re equality issues etc.

Perhaps a 100 per cent duty, refundable to those who work in the area.

The levels are even higher in places on the Llyn Peninsula. Since when were Labour ever interested in equality for local communities? Some 10 years ago there was talk of plans which would require second home buyers to apply for planning permission. Labour said it was racist despite that fact Exmoor National Park in England wanted to do that same. But at least these things are coming back to bite them such as when Chris Bryant MP recently complained about foreigners taking jobs. It despairs me that so many people in Wales support these sh*ts. The Rhondda electing Chris Bryant FFS!