House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Rachel Manning Murder

Bbc

Anyone read about this or see her parents on the news ?

They are glad they have justice - but still blame her boyfriend (who spent 6 years in jail for something he didn't do) for 'abandoning her on that night'.

They had an argument at a party. She stormed off. She called him later to come and get her. He did but she wasn't there. By then this bloke had killed her.

Now unless there is more to this than reported - her parents seem like right harsh ***** imo.

Losing a daughter is clearly not going to be pleasant. But either is spending 6 years in jail for something you didn't do and having your burd murdered.

I wonder if they still think he was involved ? Can't think of any other reason for being so unfair on the bloke.

Or is this just an example of the 'everything bad is mens fault' attitude that seems to be spreading across this country like a plague ?

Yes, just saw this. I was pretty sickened by their coldness. Above all else she was an adult, responsible for herself. While I try to stay with friends if they're worse for wear, sometimes its just not possible. Perhaps you've got one drunk mate who wants to go one way, another the other way. From the reports i understand they had an on off relationship and werent exactly inseperable.

Perhaps its prejudice on my part, but the parents sounded very well to do, the boyfriend very working class..perhaps not good enough for their blameless little angel?

That was a thought i had as well.

He was definitely a bit of a chav. However that's not a crime.

Their statement said they felt this decision was 'just'. So its clear they think the right person is now in jail for this.

However they don't even mention the bloke that killed their daughter - but still need to point out the blame they feel for her boyfriend who spent 6 years in jail for nothing.

Harsh doesn't come close. And why not even mention the bloke who actually did this !? :o

Personally i think she has just built up so much hatred for the guy over these 6 years she cannot bare to let that go.

Maybe that's what losing a kid in a way like this does to your head. Sad either way. But respect to him for not responding because i don't low if i would be able to keep my mouth shut in similar circumstances.

I don't think I could blame the parents for the way they feel. It may take many years to heal the hurt and repair their emotions. Don't forget that they've had to endure four trials, reliving the emotional hell each time. They've been through hell and no doubt are still doing so. Nobody gets over the loss of their child, particularly one taken in such an horrendous way.

Bbc

They are glad they have justice - but still blame her boyfriend (who spent 6 years in jail for something he didn't do) for 'abandoning her on that night'.

They had an argument at a party. She stormed off. She called him later to come and get her. He did but she wasn't there. By then this bloke had killed her.

Now unless there is more to this than reported - her parents seem like right harsh ***** imo.

Losing a daughter is clearly not going to be pleasant. But either is spending 6 years in jail for something you didn't do and having your burd murdered.

I wonder if they still think he was involved ? Can't think of any other reason for being so unfair on the bloke.

Or is this just an example of the 'everything bad is mens fault' attitude that seems to be spreading across this country like a plague ?

I heard this and thought the same, the guy did 6 years for something he didn't do ffs isn't that enough!!

Anyone know what evidence he was originally convicted on?

Bbc

If the young woman stormed off in a paddy what did they expect the guy to do? give her a slap and literally drag her home screaming? I thought they were rather harsh on the bloke and still blaming him, unless there is more to it, but I'd doubt it, he's just a bit of a chav by the looks of it. he's been in jail for SIX YEARS innocent, plus leading up to the case and doubts afterwards,all until now, and he's still the one at fault supposedly, obviously bad for her parents.. but even so.

I heard this and thought the same, the guy did 6 years for something he didn't do ffs isn't that enough!!

Anyone know what evidence he was originally convicted on?

It wasn't just him. An older friend of his was done for 'perverting the course of justice' as they accused him of using his van to transport the body.

Forensic bungling got the blame for the initial investigation.

I don't think I could blame the parents for the way they feel. It may take many years to heal the hurt and repair their emotions. Don't forget that they've had to endure four trials, reliving the emotional hell each time. They've been through hell and no doubt are still doing so. Nobody gets over the loss of their child, particularly one taken in such an horrendous way.

I am sure it messed with their heads. But it still seems harsh to me.

I wonder if both think the same way to the same degree ? Its unlikely.

I just can't believe there is not even a mention of sympathy for what he has gone through. I find it pretty shocking to be honest.

And the bloke was what - 19 at the time ? Barely a 'grown up'.

Bbc

Seen it on the news could not believe she said what she said very harsh if it was close to the time but 10 years later and after two innocent men had spent 6 years in the nick and one of them was in love with her daughter i'd say she is nothing but a bitter and twisted old bag especially now they have the real culprit

i note from the bbc news site that no compensation will be forthcoming to the wrongly imprisoned men.

like Barry George, they "don't qualify" apparently.

Link?

The system is pretty injust in that it requires the claimant to demonstrate their innocence but I would've thought the fact that someone else had been convicted would count as such. Do we know the reasoning behind this decision?

Edit:

Presumably the compensation decision was made before this conviction, would there now be a possibility of reviewing it?

It wasn't just him. An older friend of his was done for 'perverting the course of justice' as they accused him of using his van to transport the body.

Yeah, heard a brief interview with him. Seemed philosophical about what happened. Life is tough, get on with it.

how unfair indeed. that woman needs therapy imo.

i note from the bbc news site that no compensation will be forthcoming to the wrongly imprisoned men.

Yer,sorry lads. No hard feelings eh. What a sorry tale.

Link?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-21412241

He is adamant that Shahidul Ahmed's conviction will guarantee him and Barri a successful bid for compensation.

Keith keeps all his correspondence relating to the case

"When I got letters back that I didn't meet the criteria, you think 'what criteria have I not got, you're either innocent or guilty'," says Keith.

"Most of my friends thought, when we won the appeal, there would be someone knocking on the door to say 'sorry, here's the big cheque for getting on with your life'.

"We've had nothing, absolutely nothing.

how unfair indeed. that woman needs therapy imo.

Pretty vile, eh?! They can take a decade of your life based on no real evidence and you get nothing. What's worse is that if you do get compensation, they take deductions for your room and board during the time you spent in prison.

The world is filled with nasty, small-minded people.

Agreed. I suppose they mustn't be thinking clearly, although whether that's due to emotional factors or a general inability to think clearly isn't... clear.

Pretty vile, eh?! They can take a decade of your life based on no real evidence and you get nothing. What's worse is that if you do get compensation, they take deductions for your room and board during the time you spent in prison.

The world is filled with nasty, small-minded people.

thank Jack Straw for this .. speaking of vile.

I got some highlands emergency programme instead. :(

Was it interesting ?

Its actually pretty decent to be fair.)