House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Knimbies who say No

Union Cuts Labour Funding

This story is about Labour losing a reported £1Million of funding, or 85% of the total contributions to the party from the GMB union.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23955577

It seems to have been the end result of a spat over the extent of union involvement in the workings of the party, but to leave the Labour party specific issues aside it seems that the public are increasingly shunning political parties. The Conservatives refused to publish membership figures recently, which is pretty much a guarantee that they are in serious decline.

To what extent are Cameron and Miliband responsible for their parties' decline, and would a change of leader actually help matters for either? For my money I think they have both had their day, and while a rump of support will remain, we are on a decline to find that level for the forseeable future, like the overall decline in the circulation of newspapers.

It's just a shame they still seem to command so much airtime on the mainstream media these days.

Edited by cheeznbreed

Things only get worse with these three parties. They always seems to increase the cost of living and make our lives hell.

Well, that's the current trend at least. Are we destined to go down the Israeli route, with coalitions of a dozen or more smaller entities who are much more in tune with the local areas they represent? Do these smaller entities actually gain any leverage as a result?

Social media has been great for destroying political parties power over people, although of course there are still 'safe' seats around.

The danger is that the current three big parties see the threat and vote for state funding of their operations.

The sad thing about this story is that the Labour party is the only party that really represents the average working person. For healthy politics we need a Labour party that is financially able to fight the next election.

I warn you now that a Conservative party with a majority would cause immense damage to this country and harm the prosperity of the many for the interest of just a few.

The sad thing about this story is that the Labour party is the only party that really represents the average working person. For healthy politics we need a Labour party that is financially able to fight the next election.

I warn you now that a Conservative party with a majority would cause immense damage to this country and harm the prosperity of the many for the interest of just a few.

:lol:

A plant, surely.

:lol:

You could replace Conservative with Labour and the same would still be true.

I've been a union member for a few years, but always opt out of giving any money to Labour party.

Labour = Conservative. Funded slightly differently, but essentially the same set of lying scheming marketing shites.

Despite lame attempts to "smear" them, I'll be voting UKIP until there's a viable alternative to the blues and reds.