House Price Crash Forum
The Preacherman

China's Brand-New Abandoned Cities

Beautiful, especially those shots of the desert creeping back between the apartment blocks. Like nature alerting us of the threat of extinction.

...and we can't even build 100,000 houses a year.

.... and that 100,000 won't house the 500,000 immigrants that settle here every year, let alone deal with the multi decade backlog of housing demand.

I read there is an estimated 64million empty residential dwellings in China, all waiting for someone to live in them.

Thats one for every citizen of the UK and a few spare

It's a shame really, some of the non-residential buildings are quite imaginative. but, according to the comments, badly built and liable to fall down.

We live in a world where it is less and less important where one lives for wok, as so much is online. So people should find it easy-ish to move to these places and still have work.

I think part of the problem with these Chinese new towns is critical mass, they have not grown organically. 100,000 are not going to suddenly move in, and without a population the place is impractical and unattractive. Catch 22.

I would buy a large tower block, fill it with webcam models, and live off a % of the proceeds.

Interesting to read in the comments that post-earthquake Christchurch NZ is a bit of a ghost town.

Perhaps HPCers should club together an by up a Chinese town for ourselves. If its the fake London, I bags a mock-mock-Tudor mansion. As long as it is not next to Mr. Pin, who I expect would throw strange things over the fence and grow leylandii.

As for the high-rise flats... Tip For Property Developers: If you want people to move in, don't build homes that look sh**.

Reminiscent of Spain but on a grander scale.

I guess at least spain they will eventually fill up with North Africans. US will eventually fill up with mexicans. Whose going to fill up these in china? China is ageing faster than the US, shortage of breeding age females, probably hostile to mass immigration (and 100 million+ immigrants is a huge number anyway)

Whose going to fill up these in china? China is ageing faster than the US, shortage of breeding age females, probably hostile to mass immigration (and 100 million+ immigrants is a huge number anyway)

Couldn't they just load up the container ships with Mexicans when they sail back from America to China for the next load of cheap crap?

It's a shame really, some of the non-residential buildings are quite imaginative. but, according to the comments, badly built and liable to fall down.

If no one is going to live in them why build them well? When they fall down new buildings can be built to increase GDP again?