House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starcrossed

Libraries - Who Uses 'em?

Hi all,

as a librarian I decided to conduct a bit of informal research.

How many of you use public libraries?

What do you use them for? Recreational reading? Information? IT?

If not, why not?

Given the literate nature of HPC members I wonder how many of you cut your teeth on libraries when you were younger but now get your reading matter and information from the Internet?

Cheers all.

Starcrossed.

I use my 2 local ones fairly often (however, I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment). I'm an avid reader and can't afford to buy the amount I read. I also sometimes use it for college work.

Sprog goes on a Saturday morning to sit and play Runescape with his mates. I don't use the computers there. He's also a school librarian, so gets his reading material from there.

Hi all,

as a librarian I decided to conduct a bit of informal research.

How many of you use public libraries?

If not, why not?

Given the literate nature of HPC members I wonder how many of you cut your teeth on libraries when you were younger but now get your reading matter and information from the Internet?

Cheers all.

Starcrossed.

I love books but i do not go to the local library it is one of those 'Learning Centers' which is nothing bad in itself but it just has the wrong ambience for me. It is also to colourful.

Its hard to explain the way i would like my library but it would be the equivilant to a library that is open at night time only, that doesnt have to much colour, it is almost always empty, not brightly lit, at the same time each night there would be the same faces there sitting in the same places the odd smile and nod as acknowledgement that we are there together, there is a big old leather creaky chair with a reading light in a little hidey-hole where i could sit in peace without anyones f00ked up auras getting in my face. There would be times when i talk to other people who are reading the same subject as me, there would evole a group of people sat in leather chairs around a table, all drinking coco and having a knitted leg blanket, topics for discussion with no pre-tense, no airs and graces , minds meeting minds not a person talking to other people.

Ummm ill stop there , as it could go on for a while.

Basically my local library has books and its a IT Learning gateway ect. Not dusty enough for my liking

:)

Chuz, has it got one of those sliding ladders too? I'd love a house big enough to have a library so I could have one of those. Also one of those convertable chair/stool things as well.

Chuz, has it got one of those sliding ladders too? I'd love a house big enough to have a library so I could have one of those. Also one of those convertable chair/stool things as well.

You know the sort of place im describing :)

I love books but i do not go to the local library it is one of those 'Learning Centers' which is nothing bad in itself but it just has the wrong ambience for me. It is also to colourful.

Its hard to explain the way i would like my library but it would be the equivilant to a library that is open at night time only, that doesnt have to much colour, it is almost always empty, not brightly lit, at the same time each night there would be the same faces there sitting in the same places the odd smile and nod as acknowledgement that we are there together, there is a big old leather creaky chair with a reading light in a little hidey-hole where i could sit in peace without anyones f00ked up auras getting in my face. There would be times when i talk to other people who are reading the same subject as me, there would evole a group of people sat in leather chairs around a table, all drinking coco and having a knitted leg blanket, topics for discussion with no pre-tense, no airs and graces , minds meeting minds not a person talking to other people.

Ummm ill stop there , as it could go on for a while.

Basically my local library has books and its a IT Learning gateway ect. Not dusty enough for my liking

:)

So...just like HPC then.

Charlie the Tramp sitting in the corner looking over Edwardian debt statistics in a leather-bound volume and nodding slightly as Dr Bubb comes in, the New World interloper, striding into this place of understatement and learning.

So...just like HPC then.

Charlie the Tramp sitting in the corner looking over Edwardian debt statistics in a leather-bound volume and nodding slightly as Dr Bubb comes in, the New World interloper, striding into this place of understatement and learning.

:lol: Something like that yes :)

Thats just right libi http://www.oxford-union.org/mod.php?mod=ga...dia&media_id=44 if i had a library like that i would be most content

Starcross,

I have always used my local library wherever I have lived. It's a wonderful service. Must say I rated Exeter Central Library really highly when I lived there (up until November 2004) - it even opened on a Sunday!!!!

I pay for this service and I delight in using it. Where I live now (East Sussex) it costs me 60p to order a book - & I can order on-line - what a bargain!!! Librarys ROCK!!!!!!

Starcross,

I have always used my local library wherever I have lived. It's a wonderful service. Must say I rated Exeter Central Library really highly when I lived there (up until November 2004) - it even opened on a Sunday!!!!

I pay for this service and I delight in using it. Where I live now (East Sussex) it costs me 60p to order a book - & I can order on-line - what a bargain!!! Librarys ROCK!!!!!!

Wow, I really was not fishing for compliments but hey, I am librarian at Exeter Central Library so that's cool. I'll put your comments in my Annual Report if that's OK (only half kidding!)

For those doubters, pavement is NOT me...

I used to use a local library when I was at school, but not any more. I've only been in to my local library once in the last five years or so, and I think that was to do some photocopying. These days, I will generally buy the book, or if I just want small snippets of info I will scour the internet.

However I do have a readers pass to access the British Library at St Pancras, which I use for research. As an engineer and scientist this is a hugely valuable resource (although not as good as it used to be when it was based in the Southampton Buildings). Mainly for scientific journals, papers, proceedings/transactions, conferences etc. More and more scientific papers are available online these days, and I'm sure things will move more that way in the future, but some papers (e.g. 10+ years old) may never get on to the web I guess.

I used to use a local library when I was at school, but not any more. I've only been in to my local library once in the last five years or so, and I think that was to do some photocopying. These days, I will generally buy the book, or if I just want small snippets of info I will scour the internet.

However I do have a readers pass to access the British Library at St Pancras, which I use for research. As an engineer and scientist this is a hugely valuable resource (although not as good as it used to be when it was based in the Southampton Buildings). Mainly for scientific journals, papers, proceedings/transactions, conferences etc. More and more scientific papers are available online these days, and I'm sure things will move more that way in the future, but some papers (e.g. 10+ years old) may never get on to the web I guess.

You are probably right, Rapid Descent. The area of library work that has been most hit by virtual sources is, unsurprisingly, reference.

Fewer and fewer people need to go to the library to find that nugget of information. Especially so for those with an education and the ability to negotiate the way through the pitfalls of using the Internet as a source.

Fiction use has not fallen away as sharply and there is still life in that part of our work. The % of under-5's joining the library is increasing all the time so that's the positive side.

Why do you think that is?

Hard work by the Children's Librarian (oh, hi Liz :) )

Bookstart (the scheme to give all babies books) may be making a difference too.

And of course there is nothing to beat a parent sharing a book with a young child - the Internet can't do that. At least not the last time I looked.

Wow, I really was not fishing for compliments but hey, I am librarian at Exeter Central Library so that's cool. I'll put your comments in my Annual Report if that's OK (only half kidding!)

For those doubters, pavement is NOT me...

I am not 'Starcrossed'. But I was the person who left a giant tin of quality street (or some such chocs ) for all the staff, as a thank-you, when I handed in my Devon Libraries card. Hope you got one. Feel free to quote me in your Annual report. Are you the lady with tattoes (sp??) !!!

Guest growl

I used to work for Hampshire county libraries running a little market town library. I loved my job, my library was so full of people that there was sometimes a queue reaching from the door of people wanting to be served, people joked it was a bit like the local supermarket.

But although I loved the job itself I felt swamped by increasing beurocracy and red tape, that prevented me from doing my job. I became more like an office administrator. So although I implemented some good changes while I was there, I did eventually leave, also for other reasons. A freind of mine now has my old job. They have changed much of the system since and are building a new library, much bigger. So that's good.

I don't tend to use my local library (Wiltshire), the stock is just so bad. I tend to read fantasy and Sci/Fi. The books are in bad condition, and there never seems to be any new titles, its the same old stuff week in week out. But I do know that different counties have different spending resources and this can have an effect on the reading stock.

I have to say that if I want information, I log onto the Internet first. Then go to the library as a last resort. That actually proved to be the case recently when I was researching WW1 myths. Got three excellent books out.

But for fiction...its my local Ottakers. :)

Guest magnoliawalls

Libitina fancies theChuz. :D

Don't we all ;)

I occasionally use them for information though recently I went to a library in Glasgow looking for a quiet place to do some work and it was like a senior citizens club with lots of older people reading the latest issues of newspapers and magazines and generally having a natter.

If things get really tough in the next few years maybe more of us will see library visits as a social outing :rolleyes: cheaper than buying a newspaper and a cup of coffee I suppose.

I am not 'Starcrossed'. But I was the person who left a giant tin of quality street (or some such chocs ) for all the staff, as a thank-you, when I handed in my Devon Libraries card. Hope you got one. Feel free to quote me in your Annual report. Are you the lady with tattoes (sp??) !!!

Hi pavement,

thanks for the sweets!

No, I am not the lady with the tattoos! But I'll pass on your regards...

Starcrossed.

My mum used to take me to the library every Saturday to swap books and that early indoctrination to the world of reading has stuck with me. Until earlier this year I lived about 100 yards from my local branch and all my family visited at least once a week (my eldest used to bunk off school in it as well until I found out :o ). We have moved two miles away and so I only get in about once a month now :(

When Leeds Central Library sold off some of its 'dead' stock a few years I increased my personal library by some 30 books for £3 - bargain! I think Leeds actually has too many Libraries (30+) but can't close any for political reasons. This of course limits what can be done as they have to look after so many old or unsuitable properties.

I have met librarians from Leeds and get the impression that the politics is a bit parochial. Don't councillors get given a budget so they can directly spend money on personal 'pet' projects in their wards?

I use my two small local librarys on a weekly basis and value them very highly. I do agree with Chuz about the kindergarten ambience but this is generally only at certain times.

Full marks must go to the library staff, though, who I have always found to be incredibly helpful. They seem to thrive on the sort of job satisfaction that has always been so elusive to me :(

The staff at the Records Office on the other hand !! Don't get me started.......

I have met librarians from Leeds and get the impression that the politics is a bit parochial. Don't councillors get given a budget so they can directly spend money on personal 'pet' projects in their wards?

The whole of West Yorkshire reminds me of classical Greece. Warring city states, each in their own valley either fighting or ignoring the next valley. Get someone from Bradford to say nice things about Leeds or vice versa- never. Leeds is the Athens of the North, a beautiful city of culture :lol:

To describe Leeds politics as parochial would be to say the Pope is Catholic. Individual pet projects - yes, money spent in 'wedges' that mirror political layout, lots of interferance (not always for the worst though), backstabbing letters to the local right wing rag who eagerly publish anything to knock the council, etc. There is one situation where there are two libraries either end of a road but in different wards. Neither councillor will let their library close so both libraries are relatively underfunded. Despite this I think Leeds has a good Library service.