House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wurzel Of Highbridge

Is Social Media Weakening Propaganda?

I have noticed that there seems to be some change in people thought pattens about property price rises and the imminent barrage of negative comments on property propaganda articles.

There is also the failed attempt at war (distraction) with Syrial, with the UK government bottling out followed by the us (currently).

With the spread of social media, youtube, alternative media and activists over the last 10 years this must have weakened the propaganda that vested interests put out.

The backlash against Help2Buy must also be an example of this as 10 years ago, you would have gotten a few back benchers complain and possibly a small article burien in a paper somewhere.

There also now anti propaganda sources with their own agenda like RT (russia today) who like to expose the western government propaganda to damage the Wests creditability.

I guess overall the impact of vested interests using media to spout propaganda has been weakened, perhaps even to the extent that new propaganda announcements such as Help2Buy see more backlash and is more damaging so the original government induced propaganda is actually counter productive.

Or perhaps not? Perhaps I have finally cracked?

I have noticed that there seems to be some change in people thought pattens about property price rises and the imminent barrage of negative comments on property propaganda articles.

There is also the failed attempt at war (distraction) with Syrial, with the UK government bottling out followed by the us (currently).

With the spread of social media, youtube, alternative media and activists over the last 10 years this must have weakened the propaganda that vested interests put out.

The backlash against Help2Buy must also be an example of this as 10 years ago, you would have gotten a few back benchers complain and possibly a small article burien in a paper somewhere.

There also now anti propaganda sources with their own agenda like RT (russia today) who like to expose the western government propaganda to damage the Wests creditability.

I guess overall the impact of vested interests using media to spout propaganda has been weakened, perhaps even to the extent that new propaganda announcements such as Help2Buy see more backlash and is more damaging so the original government induced propaganda is actually counter productive.

Or perhaps not? Perhaps I have finally cracked?

I can see where you are coming from, I guess it depends on whether or not your own paranoia regarding government is based on reality. Having seen the recent whistle blower stories you do have to wonder.

I expect governments must hate some aspects of the internet and several do restrict it, I have real world experience of that when I was in China a few years ago and had no access to the BBC !!! ( Lucky me you say :lol: ).

Looking at the BBC though, they use their web-presence ( what's it got to do with TV and why are we paying a license fee to fund a web site but that's another story ) to spread our own fine governments message quite effectively so maybe it's swings and roundabouts for the powers that be.

It always strikes me that the BBC don't allow open comments on their news articles ( like Sky News ) even though this is supposedly a publicly funded body. Another plus side for the government/internet is their ability to monitor web traffic/comments and they are no doubt quite aware of peoples opinions on the internet.

I just wonder what would happen at a time of national crisis, would the plug be pulled ?

It's an interesting topic and I think you are probably right, people have been communicating freely and much more than they used to on the internet, therefore ideas/news/information/facts enter peoples consciousness more readily.

I can see where you are coming from, I guess it depends on whether or not your own paranoia regarding government is based on reality. Having seen the recent whistle blower stories you do have to wonder.

Not necessarily government propaganda but propaganda from the vested interests who push out 'reports' via the media. there are an awful lot of businesses who feel they have a lot to gain from pushing certain views or aspects out via press releases.

Certainly in money reform there has been marked progress in breaking the propaganda induced mindlock of the general population.

Just a few years ago almost everyone would vehemently deny that the commercial banks created money - it was a general kneejerk reaction of incredulity and complacency.

These days financial articles in the main stream press attract many comments from informed critics of the debt-based, rent-a-currency system under which we labour.

The memes are spreading, truth will out (usually.)

Is Social Media Weakening Propaganda?

Yes, is the short answer.

Governments are onto the problem though and are moving (slowly) to try to restrict, target and neuter as much of the internet as possible.

In the not too distant future I see far harsher restrictions being put in place to try and cap the truth from coming out on various websites. Pages like Zerohedge and maxkeiser will be banned/removed at some point.

The more of a threat the web becomes, the more it will be targetted and, ultimately, dealt with.

It's a short term problem for governments. The US military already has tools which allow them to scan social networks and post counter messages which appear completely organically generated. I suspect most people, on social media, as in real life would tend to follow the herd.

The more of a threat the web becomes, the more it will be targetted and, ultimately, dealt with.

The internet is a double edged sword for both the authorities and subversives, IMO, and when Mubarak's failing regime shut down the internet it actually escalated things and blinded them (which is why the slow but deliberate policy of the government herding and misinforming internet users seems more viable).

Edited by Big Orange

I agree there has been a sea change in the media regarding HPI that wasn't there leading up to 2007 (unless you came this site).

I think the reality is more and more people are being directly effected by the cost of high housing.

In general terms I think social media is helping increasing propaganda for the goverment and powers that be, i cant really comment for house prices and sentiment. But if you consider someone can post a photo with a comment and watch a nation react, without knowing the facts - it can be very powerful. And I'm sure governments are only too aware of how powerful social media is and have been manipulating it for some time.