House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Fake Tan Stains Are Costing Me Thousands Claims Students' Landlord

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408930/Fake-tan-stains-costing-thousands-claims-students-landlord.html

It may be the cheap alternative to a sunkissed post-holiday look.

But fake tan is costing one Cardiff landlord thousands of pounds as he is forced to replace mattresses and mattress covers 'decorated' by students after that year-long summer glow.

John Winter, who manages student lets in Cathays, Cardiff, first noticed the problem about four years ago, according to employee Joe Harris.

At the time, the letting agent was having custom-made mattresses that were pocket-sprung, but these were being ruined by the fake tan stanes after the colour went through the sheets, according to Mr Harris.

'John [the owner] didn't have a clue what the strange orange marks were,' he told the BBC. 'They were roughly body shaped and you could see the wrist, ankle and shoulder areas.

'We try to educate the students and it has been quite successful because three years ago we had 220 mattress covers ruined, but this year that's dropped to 147.

The company has also started using memory foam matresses because covers can be removed and washed or replaced - 'although we still have some where the colour has gone right through and ruined the whole thing'.

Anybody got their violin ready for this heartbreaking story?

I suspect he doth complain too much for his single HMO with 5 bedrooms.

custom made matresses.....yeah right.

You would have thought anyone intelligent enough to enter the world of Buy To Let property would have the nounce to buy and fit mattress protectors?

Stitched on if necessary.....

Nothing to see here folks..move along please..

Edit to add..... £30 for a mattress cover? :o Me thinks he is in the wrong job..

I don't have a tan! I'm sort of a pale blue like Scottish people! :blink:

You would have thought anyone intelligent enough to enter the world of Buy To Let property would have the nounce to buy and fit mattress protectors?

Edit to add..... £30 for a mattress cover? :o Me thinks he is in the wrong job..

The article does say, that this landlord was replacing 240 mattress covers per year, so he was using them. However, in a number of "extreme" cases, the staining was so bad, that it had destroyed the mattress protector and soaked into the mattress.

It also sounds as if the letting agent was taking the mick, and deliberately ripping off the landlord (who is a naive, but high-rolling property investor) and hoping that the LL wouldn't notice being overcharged for premium products (which he might, in good faith, have specified thinking that they would last longer).

£30 for a mattress is protector is taking the mick though, although there are "extreme duty" mattress protectors sold on ebay for about that much, which are claimed to be impervious to vomit and other bodily fluids, bed bugs, dust mites and other stuff. I'd be interested to see if they stand up to fake tan though.

Custom made mattresses? Is he taking the piss out of the insurance company?

No but they had a good laugh when he lodged his damages claim....... ;)