House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Real Madrid Doesn't Do Austerity..

Bale transfer deal

"As high as the fee may seem, I'm sure that the decision makers in Real Madrid would not spend this sum of money without being sure of a return on the investment."

Hard to believe any footballer is worth that much (£84 million seems to be quoted a lot) , but it's claimed that the galatico signings pay for themselves via marketing and television earnings - Real Madrid are the world's top earning football club.

I remember seeing ages ago an article on high profile football signings, and the fact that he headline fee is never actually paid, its alot lower, and it happens over a number of years

I remember seeing ages ago an article on high profile football signings, and the fact that he headline fee is never actually paid, its alot lower, and it happens over a number of years

That is often the case but Spurs wanted this one as cash, they could have got £100m if they accepted stage payments.

According to this, clubs like Man U have far greater debt than Real Madrid or Barcelona

Truth about debt

5+Debt+IFRS.jpg

It's astonishing that Valencia have managed to survive (mainly by selling their best players all the time) - their debt was truly staggering

I suspect that the Spanish are involved in lots of distraction now - distraction away from how fecked their country is. Bread and circuses.

So we have Gibraltar issues being raised again by the Spanish and now this Bale trasnfer. It would not surprise me for us to learn, decades from now, that there was some Spanish govt enthusiasm, and even fiancial help perhaps, for Real to buy Bale.

It distracts the masses from the hole they are in.

No footballer IMPO is worth half of what he has been sold for. Well done Spurs - laughing all the way to the bank. Much better to have 4 or 5 players than just one for that price.

As the Man Utd debt thing - it is Britain isn't it? Massive amounts of back-breaking debt are good for us all!

Unreal Madrid.

"In 2001 Real Madrid generated around $140M; in 2012 ..around $665M"

That is actually an amazing achievement, considering every other big club in the world - Man U, Chelsea, Bayern, River Plate, Juventus, AC Milan etc - are doing exactly the same. Trying to buy the best players, to become a top team and get their share of the world's shirt-sales, tv rights, ticket sales etc etc.

But they've done it, not by having the best team, but by buying the biggest, most glamorous stars eg Figo, Zidane, Beckham, Ronaldo and now Bale

In 2000 Real Madrid broke the world transfer record. They have not relinquished it since.

To an extent it's worked, and they've wrested the title of the world's biggest earning team, from Manchester United.

It takes some "cojones" to keep doing that. I wonder if Sr Perez ever queries how much his loaf of bread, or cheese costs on his weekly shopping? :)

That is actually an amazing achievement, considering every other big club in the world - Man U, Chelsea, Bayern, River Plate, Juventus, AC Milan etc - are doing exactly the same. Trying to buy the best players, to become a top team and get their share of the world's shirt-sales, tv rights, ticket sales etc etc.

But they've done it, not by having the best team, but by buying the biggest, most glamorous stars eg Figo, Zidane, Beckham, Ronaldo and now Bale

Actually I think it's at least in part due to the distribution of TV money in Spain, each club owns their own TV rights so the lion's share goes to Real/Barca.

The other thing is that the rest of La Liga is seriously screwed, Atletico with €500m+ debt on €100m turnover are the stand out but there are others not too far behind.

The other thing is that the rest of La Liga is seriously screwed, Atletico with €500m+ debt on €100m turnover are the stand out but there are others not too far behind.

They should have timeshare reps targetting Brits forcing them to buy timeshares in Spanish football clubs.

They should have timeshare reps targetting Brits forcing them to buy timeshares in Spanish football clubs.

Each year more and more tourists visit Madrid or Barcelona mainly to do a tour of the ground or even view a game.

At some point local fans will be asked not to attend, as the seats will be reserved for the "prawn sandwich" brigade...

Still, people do have a choice. Same as fans who fork out a fortune to attend One Direction or Bieber concerts...wouldn't waste my shoe leather myself, but it's what sells.

In 2000 Real Madrid broke the world transfer record. They have not relinquished it since.

To an extent it's worked, and they've wrested the title of the world's biggest earning team, from Manchester United.

It takes some "cojones" to keep doing that. I wonder if Sr Perez ever queries how much his loaf of bread, or cheese costs on his weekly shopping? :)

You make it sound as if intrinsic worth has something to do with the popularity of people / activities. Fans need to step back and realise they are behaving in the same way animals do around alpha males, or little girls do around Harry Styles (who is just as much an alpha male as a gorilla or Beckham). People don't love football because it is intrinsically better than baseball or visa versa. They love it because it features alpha males. And nowadays the best way to make an alpha male is to declare him fabulously wealthy. When a One Direction member spent £1m on a single bottle of champagne that helped cement his status. His performance on stage and looks by comparison are almost irrelevant. Bale will attract fans BECAUSE they paid big money for him, not because he plays the best game on earth to a high level. In fact he is irrelevant. As long as Real paid $100m for somebody, that's really all that matters. It's pure Emperor's New Clothes. But what can you do? People are drawn to success, presumably because they figure some crumbs from the table will drop their way. And they'll spend a fortune unconsciously seeking those crumbs.

They see him as highly marketable in a stable fashion. Maybe more than Ronaldo who is actually disliked by many in Spain.

No references but I was given the impression that when they spent £80m on Ronaldo that they recouped that surprisingly quickly and quite easily.

Each year more and more tourists visit Madrid or Barcelona mainly to do a tour of the ground or even view a game.

At some point local fans will be asked not to attend, as the seats will be reserved for the "prawn sandwich" brigade...

Still, people do have a choice. Same as fans who fork out a fortune to attend One Direction or Bieber concerts...wouldn't waste my shoe leather myself, but it's what sells.

I can see you'll enjoy the irony of the situation society now finds itself in: if you found a cure for altzheimers or heart disease - in other words a really big deal - you'd almost be forced to sell it for nothing because of the moral outrage associated with withholding it. By contrast Bale and Styles can seemingly demand what they want for what is clearly a service the world can do without.

Is it any wonder real progress seems to have stalled?

They see him as highly and marketable in a stable fashion. Maybe more than Ronaldo who is actually disliked by many in Spain.

No references but I was given the impression that when they spent £80m on Ronaldo that they recouped that surprisingly quickly and quite easily.

yep, you've nailed it.

In fact the high fee helps, as it means people spend a lot of time talking about the deal.

I've heard that the reason Ronaldo isn't totally happy at Madrid, is because he's seen just how much the club makes out of his image and marketing rights...Still, I'm sure he gets by on the 10 or 20 million they pay him each year...

You make it sound as if intrinsic worth has something to do with the popularity of people / activities

Nope - the clue is in what I wrote

But they've done it, not by having the best team, but by buying the biggest, most glamorous stars

Actually I agree with most of what you've said. Bale is a good promising player, but he's probably no better than 20 or 30 others around (including a few younger players coming in to the team at Real). But he'll get the attention and sell the shirts now.

I've heard that the reason Ronaldo isn't totally happy at Madrid, is because he's seen just how much the club makes out of his image and marketing rights...

Then he's bought into his own hype. When the space ship comes down a little green man is gonna ask to see the best paid guy / gal on earth so he can ask that person how to solve some desperate problem his planet faces. When that person tells the green man that, from their experience of kicking a sack of air around, they have no useful advice, the green men will take off and death ray the lot of us from space, on the basis that, having met the "best" of us, there would be no great loss to the universe should we have never existed.

Ronaldo has nothing to offer the planet. He should be thankful that marketing minds have hypnotised a huge swathe of us into thinking otherwise, and be happy.

Nope - the clue is in what I wrote

I can see that, I was just commenting on your view that it took guts to adopt the strategy of spending big. Personally, I'd agree, but I suspect the guys adopting that strategy merely look at what works, and creating hype with money seems to work every time, which I guess was my point.

It's all a bit depressing really, especially in the light of quantitative easing. Don't people know that money is infinitely printable and therefore worthless? Surely, skill should trump paper?

And then I saw that GQ were gushing about Carney's tote bag. I couldn't help but think the same thing was happening there. The bag was crap. The man is a banker (a banker ffs!). And a dwarf. And yet he is apparently becoming a style icon. Maybe it's cos he bears a passing resemblance to a film star. But most likely it has something to do with the fact he conjurs up billions at will.

There is no way Bale is worth anywhere near this much.

If he costs £80million, Ronaldo must cost £160million and Messi probably close to £200million.

Its only so much because he plays in England.

He is a good player - however if he played somewhere like Slovakia - lucky if he would be 'worth' much more than €10 million.

When a One Direction member spent £1m on a single bottle of champagne that helped cement his status.

Don't be naive. No-one has spent £1m on a single bottle of champagne. It's just a cheap bit of guerilla PR for the venue and the champagne brand. On the contrary, instead of spending big money on that bottle of champagne, he would have been paid to pretend to have bought it.

Its only so much because he plays in England.

He is a good player - however if he played somewhere like Slovakia - lucky if he would be 'worth' much more than €10 million.

Real Madrid buy quality (he's certainly that) and celebrity. He's the best young player in England by a mile, and probably the best player. Add another Galactico to their team and they continue to be the best and highest profile team in the world.

If he was from Slovakia, playing and scoring in the Champions League, he'd be up in the £30m plus bracket IMO, he is very very good.

He is very good but a few years playing there will let us see his true quality.

There Gtpwa reason most Brits fail over there. Skill level just not up to scratch.

There is no way Bale is worth anywhere near this much.

If he costs £80million, Ronaldo must cost £160million and Messi probably close to £200million.

Is this why you are on the board of Real Madrid? What other club would bid £100m+ against them to make Ronaldo worth £160m? Ronaldo is probably worth £65-70m outside of Real.

Real buy the celebrities but I bet there's something about Ronaldo that makes them uneasy. He's not massively mature, he's fathering children on one-night stands and might have said something that wasn't very reassuring in a meeting. A drop in shirt sales during a period where the Spanish might not be so keen on him.

This isn't just about goals but I bet he will do well. They'll make him into a star. They'll definitely get him tons of goals as the Spanish aren't really fussed about defending.