House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

A Sort Of Tin Foil Hat Moment

For the last few years, there's been a torrent site, 'TheBox.bz', that made exclusively British TV programmes available. I'm pretty sure it was no more legal than any torrent site, but, morally at least, the idea always struck me as semi-legit, at least for British TV licence holders. The (possibly shaky) reasoning was that, one can record TV programmes for later personal viewing, so what is 'TheBox.bz' but a super advanced (and super huge) PVR?

One thing it was allegedly especially good for was really old stuff of minority interest (i.e., that no one would ever want to release commercially anyway). I heard that a while back that they had the 1982 BBC series The Computer Programme with Chris Serle and Ian McNaught-Davis, which may mean nothing to you, but was a pretty formative piece of TV history for me, and I don't suppose it'll ever see the light of day except on somewhere like that site.

All that aside, the owners/admins of 'TheBox.bz' announced a few days ago that today, on September the 1st, the site would be closed down. The general consensus seems to be that, increasingly of late, and with every indication that this will only increase further, the legal situation is getting dicier, and who needs that kind of hassle/risk?

So far, so what? Where's the tin foil hat?

As you might imagine, there's been talk from users about a replacement. Surely, the owners/admins aren't really walking away? Etc. Such talk has apparently occurred on TheBox's own forums, but also in comments in various places that are reporting the 'story' of the site's closure. In some of these places, people have been making comments and posts about a new URL, but it seems that in all cases such posts and comments are being deleted. Now, if TheBox wants to remove posts naming their new site, all well and good--they are 'allowed' to, and, importantly, they are easily able to do so on their own message boards. What kind of amazes me when I think about it is how they are achieving this in other places?

TheBox's Wikipedia page has been deleted, I assume because it mentioned the new site (which, if you know what to search for, is listed in the search results), the Reddit piece about this (https://pay.reddit.com/r/trackers/comments/1l9h10/thebox_is_closing/) has numerous deleted comments with warnings about repeating the new URL, the Torrent Freak article (http://torrentfreak.com/major-tv-torrent-site-thebox-bz-calls-it-quits-130829/)--again if you know what to Google for--contains the new site URL, but when you click on the page, none of those mentions are still there to be viewed.

How can TheBox's be changing/influencing these sites so much? Superficially, it doesn't seem much of a big deal, but when I stopped to think about it, it does seem a bit weird that (what I assume is) a handful of people can keep a lid on something that thousands of people would like to know (TheBox apparently has/had 90,000 users) across numerous sites. I'm baffled.

It might seem a long waffley post about nothing, but I do find it a bit odd.

Can you PM me the new url? I don't use it myself but I know people who want it :)

Concerning the suppression of information over this new url, it is interesting. I'm not sure it would take as much time as you think to suppress it in reality. Any forum you read will be read by those suppressing it, so any clues you get will probably already have been hit.

Btw I've never used Demonoid either, but apparently it's by far the most comprehensive torrent site and works through membership invitations only. I'm curious to check that site out.

Many NZB site providers are being hounded out of existence.

All that is happening is they are being forced offshore and under the usual radar's.

I'd never heard it until now. I'd be grateful for a PM of the new one from anybody in the know. Was/is it easy to add to XBMC?

My information is limited, but it would appear that the new site isn't logginable to using existing TheBox accounts, and there's no sign up or registration procedure available. From what I hear.

My information is limited, but it would appear that the new site isn't logginable to using existing TheBox accounts, and there's no sign up or registration procedure available. From what I hear.

Shame about this - like you, I discovered TheBox looking for obscure TV of little/no commercial value and it looks like they're being closed down good and proper. :(

I'd think that whatever is going on is probably greedy copyright holders - as likely the BBC as anyone else - flexing their muscles rather than anything more sinister. But you never know...

More to the point, apart from some vault in Manchester, where the hell am I ever gonna locate a copy of the 1975 Granada TV drama "The Stars Look Down"...!!???

XYY

A chap at work was an extreme user and he has had a message giving him the new URL. More normal users like me haven't had the message.

I can only assume they have been getting legal threats.

As a repository for obscure comedy series it was superb.

A chap at work was an extreme user and he has had a message giving him the new URL. More normal users like me haven't had the message.

I can only assume they have been getting legal threats.

As a repository for obscure comedy series it was superb.

Sounds like they're going underground to lose the attention of the mssses and the heat that brings from copyright holders. Probably a smart move.

I'd never heard it until now. I'd be grateful for a PM of the new one from anybody in the know. Was/is it easy to add to XBMC?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

XBMC can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it.

Install for local use on your win7/8 machine or mac or like me install it on a headless server to work in conjunction with sickbeard,coachpotato and sabnzbd, connected straight to a HDTV as a standalone media centre and able to stream content to other TV's in the house.

The stuff is still out there although you will need to learn how to use NZB files. Is probably the way to go anyway as the feds crack down on the torrent sites.

A search on Usenet Crawler should yield some useful information... But keep the addy under your hat. ;)

Anyone interested in building themselves a cheap and handy media server can get a great deal on this.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-g7-n54l-proliant-microserver-203-94-inc-next-day-delivery-serversplus-103-94-1646903#comments

Is probably the way to go anyway as the feds crack down on the torrent sites.

You can get a decent VPN now for a few quid a month.

Well worth it. Every time I now log on the internet my homepage changes from Google Moldova, to Google Sweden, etc.. Servers can be changed at the click of a button and knocked off all together when you need to do something that you do actually want to be tracked on (Banking for example won’t let you log in from the UAE, etc…).

My VPN is amazingly quick as well. And no one can snoop, ever.

Link: www.VPN4All.com

Also, contact them 1st and ask for a deal better than the advertised rate. I got a whole load knocked off for signing up annually.

You can get a decent VPN now for a few quid a month.

Well worth it. Every time I now log on the internet my homepage changes from Google Moldova, to Google Sweden, etc.. Servers can be changed at the click of a button and knocked off all together when you need to do something that you do actually want to be tracked on (Banking for example won't let you log in from the UAE, etc…).

My VPN is amazingly quick as well. And no one can snoop, ever.

Link: www.VPN4All.com

Also, contact them 1st and ask for a deal better than the advertised rate. I got a whole load knocked off for signing up annually.

Not sure it would be worth it for me. I only ever use news servers (not torrents) and then only on the SSL ports. The ISP can see what your connected to but not what you are downloading.

If I want to do some other stuff which leaves no trace (which to be honest is not very often), then I use the TOR bundle.

The way things are with Prism and Tempora I wouldn't be surprised if GCHQ and other agencies had their little greasy fingers into everything VPN's, TOR and encrypted data ports included.