House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

213,000 Live In Swansea, 71,000 Contact Council About Hb Since March

The Swansea local paper is saying that 71,000 people, out of a population of 213,000, have contacted the Council since March with regard to their housing benefit being changed/cut.

That is a third of the population. No wonder house prices are so high. LLs must be raking it in.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

5.7 million households presumably. The majority of tenants?

24.3 million households, 33% of whom rent i.e. 8.1 million.

However, the figure for housing benefit, as has been pointed out, is given for "people" not "households".

It hinges on the definition of household. In terms of the Census, which is where the tenure figure above comes from, a household is "one person or a group of people who have the accommodation as their only or main residence and for a group, either share at least one meal a day or share the living accommodation, that is, a living room or sitting room".

So a group of single people sharing a house would count as one "household", but all or some of them could be claiming LHA individually. So one "household" (tenure, rented) but one, two, three, four, "people" claiming housing benefit.

I'll wager it was 71,000 calls. If they are anything like my local council, multiple calls to get any sort of answer are the rule, not the exception. At, say, 5 calls each, that's 14200 people = 6.6% of the population.

Sounds about right for a dynamic urban metropolis like Swansea.

p.s. I agree with Snuggybear's logic. My son shares a rented house with two other blokes. One of them is poorly sick, so the poor dear claims housing benefit, the other two work and pay their 2/3 share of the rent.

But it's a 4 bedroomed house, so I wonder how the Council works out the "bedroom tax". ???

Edited by Stainless Sam

<snip> But it's a 4 bedroomed house, so I wonder how the Council works out the "bedroom tax". ???<snip>.

The Council doesn't have to. "Bedroom tax" only applies if housing benefit is claimed for the house/flat as a whole unit, including however many bedrooms it has. In the case of Sam's son's houseshare, the, er, poorly bloke will be claiming the LHA rate for a room in shared accommodation i.e. the unit being claimed for is just one bedroom, not the whole house. What happens with the other rooms in the house is irrelevant.

If one third of the rent for the whole house is more than the LHA shared accommodation rate for the area, of course, the bloke would have to make up the difference from other income.

We have exactly the opposite for buyers. Taxpayer funded interest free deposits for a couple to buy a new build 6 bed house and in Jan there will be help for single people or couples to buy 6 or even 7 bed properties for up to £600,000.

The Help to Debt scheme :D