House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

The Rest Of The Uk Needs To Be More Like London

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9005951/why-must-we-worry-about-londons-success/

In fact London’s multicoloured, polyglot appearance is a demonstration of the city’s capacity for entrepreneurial renewal. It has opened itself to the world and reaped the benefit of doing so. And in doing so it has shown how the idea of Britain itself can change. Less white, less Protestant; more relaxed, more tolerant. Better, too. Stateless London has helped redefine Britishness as a concept available to — or that can be earned by — almost anyone. At a time when Scottish Nationalists argue that Britain is clapped out and incapable of reinventing itself, London’s example matters well beyond the M25.

So there we have it. UK needs to be more like 'Rentier Central' London.

If London is so fu*king successful then isn't it time for Carney and his magic box of 'tools' to increase interest rates within the M25 or giver everybody outside some stimulus?

Oh, that's right their policy is useless and built on sucking in wealth from the rest of the country and pushing more debt!

London - relaxed? What are these people on?

Its the London Village bubble :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. I love London. But sometimes you have to see things as they really are.

Im sure the rest of the UK would have been more like london if the centres of Politics, Finance, Media, TV, IT and law hadn't all been kept within the M25. If these big employment areas had been distributed as in the USA (spread out over Washington DC, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco), then there would be more going on in the regions too.

The UK is bankrupt and incapable of reinventing itself because of London.

Lehman Brothers International (London), AIG Financial Products (London), The Royal Bank of Scotland Group (London), Madoff Securities International Limited (London) etc.

What always annoys me is the constant implication that the rest of the country is a drain on poor Londoners.

Yet almost all the infrastructure spending happens in London.

The government pledged money to help the "Silicon roundabout" in East London so hipsters can make more apps, yet 50 miles north you have "Silicon Fen" in Cambridge which is bursting to the seams and in need of cheap office space getting nothing.

Let alone trying to establish similar tech hubs in the north, midlands etc.

Its the London Village bubble :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. I love London. But sometimes you have to see things as they really are.

I like visiting London. I couldn't ever live there.

It's not (just) that I'm an old fogey. My 20-year-old daughter feels the same way.

What always annoys me is the constant implication that the rest of the country is a drain on poor Londoners.

Yet almost all the infrastructure spending happens in London.

The government pledged money to help the "Silicon roundabout" in East London so hipsters can make more apps, yet 50 miles north you have "Silicon Fen" in Cambridge which is bursting to the seams and in need of cheap office space getting nothing.

Let alone trying to establish similar tech hubs in the north, midlands etc.

odd then, that the rest of the UK is in the gutter, buying insurance, taking mortgages, buying stuff on credit and HP, yet it is assumed that London is being sucked....it is clearly the other way round.

I like visiting London. I couldn't ever live there.

It's not (just) that I'm an old fogey. My 20-year-old daughter feels the same way.

This is usually the response of people who think of London as mainline stations, Oxford Street, the Hard Rock Cafe and Piccadilly Circus - places which anyone who actually lives here avoids like the plague!

London appeals to millions of workers, tourists and students who choose to go there every year. But to suggest that the rest of the uk becomes more like London, misses the point. It's a metropolis, and has grown over centuries to become that way. It has also been built by workers from other places. In the past they were northerners, Scots and Irish. They are now Polish, Spanish and other nationalities. You couldn't make the whole country into an extended London. No-one would want to live beyond zone 17 !

The left really has lost it. The BNP suggest re-patriating non-whites, now the left want to ex-patriate white people.

Yep, the implication that "less white" = "better" is quite offensive imho.

Q

The left hate themselves and hate everyone like them. Thank God the rest of the country doesn't enjoy londons vibrant crime levels.

London relaxed? That's not my experience of it (and I lived there for 8 years). In most other parts of the country, they don't have:

• Summer riots
  • Jammed roads and public transport for most of the day
  • Police helicopters keeping you awake at 4am in the morning
  • Emergency service sirens screaming throughout the night.
  • The entire place rammed with humans

It's hardly the happy go lucky interracial melting pot they make out either. Try visiting Barking - the tension is palpable at times. Or travelling through certain other parts of east London at night.

I don't dislike London - it's a nice place to visit. But only the young and the very rich can make a decent life there.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

The left really has lost it. The BNP suggest re-patriating non-whites, now the left want to ex-patriate white people.

Umm.... the spectator is a right wing newspaper. Owned by the Barclay brothers I believe.

London relaxed? That's not my experience of it (and I lived there for 8 years). In most other parts of the country, they don't have:

• Summer riots

• Jammed roads and public transport for most of the day

• Police helicopters keeping you awake at 4am in the morning

• Emergency service sirens screaming throughout the night.

• The entire place rammed with humans

It's hardly the happy go lucky interracial melting pot they make out either. Try visiting Barking - the tension is palpable at times. Or travelling through certain other parts of east London at night.

I don't dislike London - it's a nice place to visit. But only the young and the very rich can make a decent life there.

......lived there all my life......would never move back, the people are generally nice, but everyone works on overdrive, rushing here and there, late late for a very important date....air quality is poor, density high, people everywhere you turn, yes very noisy, very concrete, very artificial.....not all bad, but when the not so good things start outnumbering the better things....time for a change.... aah bliss. ;)

Umm.... the spectator is a right wing newspaper. Owned by the Barclay brothers I believe.

The article is written by Alex massie, far left public school educated middle class hypocrite, son of privilege who loves multiculturalism so much he chooses to live in a nice safe white neighbourhood. Ah, the foul stench of hypocrisy............

This is usually the response of people who think of London as mainline stations, Oxford Street, the Hard Rock Cafe and Piccadilly Circus - places which anyone who actually lives here avoids like the plague!

I've been going there for donkeys' years. I have friends who've lived there most of their lives. I know bits of London quite well.

In fact, I was on a training course in the West End 30 years ago, with a bunch of employees who lived in the burbs and one other hick - from Bristol, in her case. The woman from Bristol wanted to go from Regent Street to Covent Garden to meet some of her London-dwelling friends, and I was the only one who could tell her how to get there.

The article is written by Alex massie, far left public school educated middle class hypocrite, son of privilege who loves multiculturalism so much he chooses to live in a nice safe white neighbourhood. Ah, the foul stench of hypocrisy............

????

If you look at his wiki page he's written for a variety of papers, of both left and right political leanings so where do you get the idea he is far left from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Massie_%28journalist%29

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9005951/why-must-we-worry-about-londons-success/

So there we have it. UK needs to be more like 'Rentier Central' London.

..London is most likely funded by money laundering which drives up property prices for the same kind.....it also thrives on tourism ...and people working on the minimum wage ..or zero hours contracts or unpaid internships ...the Spectator needs to get a life ...and I'm no leftie...the centres of excellence which they should be seeking are spread throughout the country... :rolleyes:

I think I can more or less on speak on behalf on the entire UK outside of the M25 when I say, "F*ck off"

I think you speak for lots of people inside the M25 too. I know plenty of people living in London who would go back to their home county/country in a flash if the job prospects were better.