House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Jail Becomes Home For Husband Stuck With Lifetime Alimony

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-26/jail-becomes-home-for-husband-stuck-with-lifetime-alimony.html

Ari Schochet has grown so accustomed to being sent to jail for missing alimony payments that he goes into a routine.

Before his family-court hearing, Schochet, 41, sticks on a nicotine patch to cope with jailhouse smoking bans, sends an “Ari Off the Grid” e-mail to friends and family, and scrawls key phone numbers in permanent ink on his forearm.

Schochet, who said he worked as a portfolio manager at Citadel Investment Group Inc. and Fortress Investment Group LLC (FIG) and once earned $1 million a year, has been jailed for missing court-ordered payments at least eight times in the past two years as he coped with the end of his 17-year marriage.

The reason he ran afoul of the law was simple. He was out of work for most of that time, a victim of a weak economy, and he ran through his savings trying to pay his wife alimony and child support that totaled almost $100,000 a year.

“It’s a circle of hell there’s just no way out of,” Schochet said. “I paid it as long as I could.”

Schochet and ex-spouses in similar changed circumstances say New Jersey’s law unfairly imposes lifetime alimony on them. If they fail to make payments, like the $78,000 a year Schochet owes his ex-wife in alimony, they can be jailed for contempt of court regardless of whether they have a job or resources.

Considering his previous job some may feel this is karma, but this appears crazy that alimony is permanent and if your circumstances change you are screwed.

If he gets a low paid job he'll never earn enough for the alimony and constantly lose any job he has as he has to return to jail.

this outrage on human dignity needs to be punished..we MUST send Cruise missiles into NJ to punish them and ensure they dont impose stupid laws on the people ever again.

Haven't read the article, but he's being jailed for contempt = judge satisfied that he's hiding assets.

Saw this a few years ago in England, when hubbie refused to disclose the location where he'd buried his gold. True story.

Haven't read the article, but he's being jailed for contempt = judge satisfied that he's hiding assets.

Saw this a few years ago in England, when hubbie refused to disclose the location where he'd buried his gold. True story.

Situation in the uk is that you are advised to pay until you have been to court to vary the court order (e.g. If you are made redundant etc) otherwise you will be in contempt, gaol is rarely used these days in the uk, many years ago a friend of my father used to go to Gaol regularly to avoid paying spousal.

Just been trading emails with my ex who was irate and very abusive because she thinks I should be paying £711 not £700 PCM child maintenance (she hasn't deducted all my pension when doing the calculation) In our recent court appearance she declared she was saving £1k a month (she got the house too), just as we'll my job is secure....

Situation in the uk is that you are advised to pay until you have been to court to vary the court order (e.g. If you are made redundant etc) otherwise you will be in contempt, gaol is rarely used these days in the uk, many years ago a friend of my father used to go to Gaol regularly to avoid paying spousal.

Just been trading emails with my ex who was irate and very abusive because she thinks I should be paying £711 not £700 PCM child maintenance (she hasn't deducted all my pension when doing the calculation) In our recent court appearance she declared she was saving £1k a month (she got the house too), just as we'll my job is secure....

The Uk just renamed jail and called it the CSA/CMEA

The gaol example I used was unusual.

I see the injustice. I think state interference - benefits, taxation - should be taken into account. But that would mean the state reflecting on its own uselessness.