House Price Crash Forum
disenfranchised

Tenancy Renewal

Moved in end of May 2013, signed 6 month contract running to end of November. LL owns several properties, but uses a letting agent.

Strangely, I have just been sent a "Tenancy Renewal" email by the agent. There are no renewal fees, I checked before I moved.

I am assuming that they effectively want me to commit to another 6 months – which in my view, benefits them more than it benefits me. There is no fee associated with the renewal.

I would be happier going onto a rolling tenancy. I am gearing up to start applying for new jobs, so I might want to move before next May. I’m tempted to tell them I don’t want to sign up for 6 months.

What is the likelihood they will give me notice if I fail to cooperate? Or are they likely to back down as long as I am paying the rent?

Anybody been in the same situation?

I have just been sent a "Tenancy Renewal" email by the agent.

I am assuming that they effectively want me to commit to another 6 months – which in my view, benefits them more than it benefits me.

Id read the email first of all?

Presumably it would say what they mean by a renewal!

If you don't respond and are in the property beyond the end date you are automatically on the periodic rolling month tenancy.

edit - I just re-read and you say the end date is end of november, this is an early request for a renewal perhaps the owner fears a void over the christmas period? First thing to do if it were me is nothing. You're under no obligation to make a commitment like that this far ahead, ignore their attempts at contacting you for a few weeks. Eventually if they kept trying I would reply and say you are going on to the statutory periodic rolling month. And leave it at that. Tell them, don't ask them.

Edited by cybernoid

Quote from that site 'Do you allow tenancys to go periodic?'

My emphasis. They are so ignorant. Not up to you sunshine.

They as a whole seem to have a real problem with realising the tenant is a paying customer. I am an ideal tenant. And I will avoid landlords that use agents I have had bad experiences of or who have ridiculous terms or are idiots when dealing with them in person, and I will avoid landlords who share those traits and/or demonstrate ignorance of the fundamentals of the business they are in.

Most good tenants would, as we tend to be a smart bunch. They cut their noses to spite their faces with their holier than thou attitudes and deserve every bad tenant they get as a result.

They aren't losing enough money already they want to have an attitude towards their customers as well? Clowns.

Hello

I am in a similar position, my 6 month period expires in a week or so.

Last week I received letter from Agent basically saying do you wish to renew for 6 months, or receive a Section 21 :angry:

I've sent back a letter (also copied to LL) politely stating by preference is to extend as a periodic tenancy.

My intention is to enter into no further communication on the subject (due to the tone of the letter received from the Agent).

I will let you know what happens!

Hello

I am in a similar position, my 6 month period expires in a week or so.

Last week I received letter from Agent basically saying do you wish to renew for 6 months, or receive a Section 21 :angry:

I've sent back a letter (also copied to LL) politely stating by preference is to extend as a periodic tenancy.

My intention is to enter into no further communication on the subject (due to the tone of the letter received from the Agent).

I will let you know what happens!

It will be interesting to see if the landlord is even aware of this. My guess is that they are not.

I would ignore them for the week it takes to go on to the periodic and see what they do. If they want an empty property they could give me a section 21, if they did that to me they wouldn't have any viewings during the remainder of my tenancy, in response to an act like that I would get militant about it and change the locks to prevent any sneaky viewings whilst I was out and I would ensure they had a void period at the very least.

Edited by cybernoid

I would ignore them for the week it takes to go on to the periodic and see what they do. If they want an empty property they could give me a section 21, if they did that to me they wouldn't have any viewings during the remainder of my tenancy, in response to an act like that I would get militant about it and change the locks to prevent any sneaky viewings whilst I was out and I would ensure they had a void period at the very least.

I feel pretty much the same.

I'm going to let mine go periodic & and if they want to evict me and take the void, they can crack on.