House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Still Spouting Lazy Brit Fallacy

I have already provided one answer this morning :rolleyes:

No you haven't.

You've said one semi-skilled to skilled industry that typically requires various credentials to get into, and cannot readily be walked straight into as a manual laborer.

Compare like with like.

Where in europe can a brit walk in off the street and pick up a bog standard unskilled manual position, that pays £30-50 per hour?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets cut to the chase. Does 20k sterling go further in Poland or Uk? Does Poland have cheaper houses than uk? Yes or no to both please.

Depends what you are buying. Many things are actually pretty expensive over there. Unlike most commenting on this thread i have actually been to the place numerous times :D

Depends what you are buying. Many things are actually pretty expensive over there. Unlike most commenting on this thread i have actually been to the place numerous times :D

http://www.rightmove...y-39724957.html

2/3 bed apartment €50,000. Bet I could find a lot cheaper out in the country too.

I would struggle to find a one bed flat for that money in Huddersfield.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I should of put "unskilled" between the manual labour. Talking like, picking fruit and veg, stacking / unstacking boxes, driving a vehicle about, being a security guard, being a labourer knocking up mix, moving stuff about sort of things.

This is another poor argument that gets raised a lot. Simple extrapolation what a £ means in Poland and leaving it at that. These people are not living in Poland they are living here with our excessive high cost of living. Something that seems to be conveniently forgotten whenever this subject comes up.

Oh they are earning £50 an hour - no they are not !!

Unless they get magically transported back home every night.

I don't blame you for being evasive, you're high and dry for all to see. I'm sure a house in Warsaw costs the same as its London equivalent. Bit odd that average polish salary is around 4 times less than ours though but, hey, sure there's a logical explanation. I have some magic beans for sale too if you're interested.

This is another poor argument that gets raised a lot. Simple extrapolation what a £ means in Poland and leaving it at that. These people are not living in Poland they are living here with our excessive high cost of living. Something that seems to be conveniently forgotten whenever this subject comes up.

Oh they are earning £50 an hour - no they are not !!

Unless they get magically transported back home every night.

If you are vegetable picking its likely cheap accommodation is provided. A caravan on the farm for example and possibly food, and no commuting costs.

You are just digging yourself a bigger hole!

Edited by aSecureTenant

No it'll take about 3 years to buy a house outright in 90% of the country (poland). So how does that make the discrepancy with the UK any better?

And ? There are discrepancies everywhere - its life.

You know it would cost me about £8 to get a pint if i went to Sydney today ? Not great. But i am not going to cry about it. Shit happens. People from the UK used to go over there with £ and have a blast for relatively little money. Now its the complete opposite.

Not much you can do about it. Just get on with it.

I don't blame you for being evasive, you're high and dry for all to see. I'm sure a house in Warsaw costs the same as its London equivalent. Bit odd that average polish salary is around 4 times less than ours though but, hey, sure there's a logical explanation. I have some magic beans for sale too if you're interested.

Evasive about what ?

Have you ever been to Poland and bought stuff ?

I have.

If you are vegetable picking its likely cheap accommodation is provided. A caravan on the farm for example and possibly food, and no commuting costs.

You are just digging yourself a bigger hole!

What's your point ? The same thing happens in Australia for young Brits to do exactly the same. Why are you not up in arm about that ?

****** sake yes there has been too much immigration to the UK recently. Deal with it. Or continue to be bitter. Up to yourself.

What's your point ? The same thing happens in Australia for young Brits to do exactly the same. Why are you not up in arm about that ?

****** sake yes there has been too much immigration to the UK recently. Deal with it. Or continue to be bitter. Up to yourself.

will be lots more soon when Romanians and Bulgarians come over in droves next year, and i've been there and it's cheap. I'm not anti immigration but 2-3 million plus is a lot more than elsewhere (in the EU). just adds to our benefits bill and NHS bills and so on, in the long run for one reason or another. if there's a genuine shortage of required skills then fair enough but that's not really the case is it.

so you are saying I could go to Australia and earn 3-5 times the amount here in the UK for general unskilled manual labour, and easily live in a caravan without any hassles on the farms say?

Ridiculous piece by Andy Kershaw (I think it's him), you need to check it out on BBC iPlayer when it's up if you missed it and play spot the cliché. At first I thought it was an unbiased piece on the effects of mass immigration and not towing the usual party line of "improving diversity" but then midway through he couldn't help himself and said such classics as "they're just taking our jobs" & "Eastern Europeans do the jobs British people won't".

What he singly failed to mention (of course) was Purchasing Power Parity. I find it staggering to believe that people still think Eastern European immigrants work longer hours in the UK (read as "harder" on this piece) because of some inbuilt altruism. As if they are in the UK and work these ridiculous hours, doing awful jobs, out of some inbred work-ethic. The truth of courrse is much more simple and primal. They are here because they can earn 4-5 times what they could in their home country. I've used the phrase before that they have hit The Mother Lode and indeed they have. The equivalent would be an unskilled British person going to Eastern Europe and earning £45 an hour for working in a fast food shop. Not once was this bare fact mentioned. Also, the fact that 3 million people were allowed into the UK in less than eight years but 3 million extra homes weren't built to house them thus pushing up rents was of course not mentioned at all.

The truth of free movement of labour between countries with vastly disparate GDP's is that the labour gravitates towards the country paying the highest relative wage. It was never going to result in anything else.

...hah ..hahhh...the most lazy and wasteful issue in the UK is the BBC ....and that's being polite...I will be asking my MP to have it shut down ..and run on a business model ...none of this 'leftie' nonsense...... :rolleyes:

I'm not bitter. I'm out of the job market. Wait until your boss thinks he can replace you with someone from Poland etc on National Minimum Wage

I'm not bitter. I'm out of the job market. Wait until your boss thinks he can replace you with someone from Poland etc on National Minimum Wage

...you say 'Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!' ..what about UKIP ....OK ..it's not a fully fledged out of control monstrosity like the other two...but you could work to shape it...the other lot are long gone...I don 't know myself ..but an alternative must be preferable ...what do you think ..?....what are not available in the real world are ...'guarantees' ..unless you believe in the latest policy from the coalition..... :rolleyes:

The comparison is about as broken as can be. At £50 quid an hour you would be very well off in Eastern Europe. OTOH, at NMW in London you get to live like a beggar, except you also have to spend 9 hours at work and another 2+ commuting.

You've completely misunderstood the point. Perhaps a diagram will make it clearer for you? Also, re-read Frost's Post Number 1.

purchasingpowerparity.jpg

...you say 'Vote LABOURTORY. You have no choice!' ..what about UKIP ....OK ..it's not a fully fledged out of control monstrosity like the other two...but you could work to shape it...the other lot are long gone...I don 't know myself ..but an alternative must be preferable ...what do you think ..?....what are not available in the real world are ...'guarantees' ..unless you believe in the latest policy from the coalition..... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't vote UKIP if you paid me. Just Tories that hate the EU even more than most Tories. Also UKIP are a party of middle England Nimby's.

UKIP = BNP for Hyacinth Bucket types.

I wouldn't vote UKIP if you paid me. Just Tories that hate the EU even more than most Tories. Also UKIP are a party of middle England Nimby's.

UKIP = BNP for Hyacinth Bucket types.

BNP? Dont be absurd. UKIP are dominated by a libertarian economic clique, THAT is the main problem with them. That said, they present the best, indeed only, chance we have of destroying the liblabcon hegemony. The destruction of the Tory party is what will set the ball rolling on a political earthquake. UKIP are the means to that end.

The problem with UKIP is that they are willing to tolerate criminals in their midst for political ends. Google Brian Silvester. I have a half-assed idea to get rid of him from UK politics, but it would be in spite of UKIP rather than because of them. I've made Farage and Nuttal aware of the issue but they don't care. It's a shame really. That said I expect they will be instrumental in removing Cameron, he has no chance with UKIP polling around 10%.

Edited by cheeznbreed

What a detailed, thorough and balanced political analysis by AST. It does not warrant detailed comment.

Which UKIP? The criminal landlord, "BongaBonga" or Farage? Mind I quite like Farage.

Strangely the landlord is against wind farms. Farage is all for fracking. UKIP as a whole are against 'building in the countryside' and really about milking the NIMBY vote.

UKIP I believe want to double military spending yet oddly its members least likely to support Syrian intervention.

If UKIP were a real choice and 'anti-rentier' and pro LVT I'd support it.

Anyway this is really deviating off topic.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I have not worked since 2012. My choice. :D