House Price Crash Forum
pl1

Bbc Still Spouting Lazy Brit Fallacy

Ridiculous piece by Andy Kershaw (I think it's him), you need to check it out on BBC iPlayer when it's up if you missed it and play spot the cliché. At first I thought it was an unbiased piece on the effects of mass immigration and not towing the usual party line of "improving diversity" but then midway through he couldn't help himself and said such classics as "they're just taking our jobs" & "Eastern Europeans do the jobs British people won't".

What he singly failed to mention (of course) was Purchasing Power Parity. I find it staggering to believe that people still think Eastern European immigrants work longer hours in the UK (read as "harder" on this piece) because of some inbuilt altruism. As if they are in the UK and work these ridiculous hours, doing awful jobs, out of some inbred work-ethic. The truth of courrse is much more simple and primal. They are here because they can earn 4-5 times what they could in their home country. I've used the phrase before that they have hit The Mother Lode and indeed they have. The equivalent would be an unskilled British person going to Eastern Europe and earning £45 an hour for working in a fast food shop. Not once was this bare fact mentioned. Also, the fact that 3 million people were allowed into the UK in less than eight years but 3 million extra homes weren't built to house them thus pushing up rents was of course not mentioned at all.

The truth of free movement of labour between countries with vastly disparate GDP's is that the labour gravitates towards the country paying the highest relative wage. It was never going to result in anything else.

£45p/hr equivalent. Really? State your source. I'm more of the impression it's a tripling of wages relatively but can't back this up.

Yes saying indigenous Brits are lazy is quite offensive and possibly racist.

Makes sense, they can go home and buy a house with a year's UK income. We have to slave a lifetime to pay for a house. If I could afford a house with a years income, I'd clean the sewers with a friggin toothbrush.

Another reason why I don't pay the tv licence, its not worth the paper its written on.

£45p/hr equivalent. Really? State your source. I'm more of the impression it's a tripling of wages relatively but can't back this up.

I can't speak for Eastern Europe, but minimum wage in Portugal is about €520pm.

based on the net income, there are better places than the UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_in_Europe_by_monthly_average_wage

(Poland seem to have a net salary of 1/3 UK if you don't want to follow the link, but it may seem more more attractive for our Romanian and Bulgarian friends)

I think the UK is attractive though as everyone learns English at school (and not for example Swedish). Also the UK is seen as exciting for young people. I even know a German guy who is thinking of moving to the UK for that reason, obviously i have pointed out the downsides!

Makes sense, they can go home and buy a house with a year's UK income. We have to slave a lifetime to pay for a house. If I could afford a house with a years income, I'd clean the sewers with a friggin toothbrush.

Another reason why I don't pay the tv licence, its not worth the paper its written on.

+1

Don't watch BBC propaganda

Don't pay the telly tax

Don't vote for LabourTory/UKIP/LibDem One Party State

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/media-reports-archive/2013-2

Sure, there you go about half-way down. 8 times UK minimum wage is probably 50 quid an hour?

Just the usual MSM uninformed gobshite from the BBC. The grubby neoliberal corporatist agenda of chasing down wages rolls on unchallenged by reason or politicians. One can only assume that there is an agenda to impoverish everybody and that it's driven by the contempt of a few for the majority of humanity.

Its fine to say they earn £45 equivalent per hour or whatever. But they are living here. So have to deal with the cost of living just like anyone else in this country has to.

And if someone from Poland wants to come here and work in a sandwich shop for a year to go home and buy a house outright in a city in Poland that has jobs and a decent standard of living ? They are gonna be sorely disappointed.

No different from someone from a 'poor' town in Wales heading to London to do the same.

Not that i agree with non stop immigration to this country - total joke. However many people get over excited with the reality of the situation .

There are people from the UK that head to work in a compound in Saudi Arabia for exactly the same reason. Its just human nature.

1377725272[/url]' post='909383136']

Its fine to say they earn £45 equivalent per hour or whatever. But they are living here. So have to deal with the cost of living just like anyone else in this country has to.

And if someone from Poland wants to come here and work in a sandwich shop for a year to go home and buy a house outright in a city in Poland that has jobs and a decent standard of living ? They are gonna be sorely disappointed.

No different from someone from a 'poor' town in Wales heading to London to do the same.

Not that i agree with non stop immigration to this country - total joke. However many people get over excited with the reality of the situation .

There are people from the UK that head to work in a compound in Saudi Arabia for exactly the same reason. Its just human nature.

I agree with your sentiment, but its the abject denigration of the indigenous worker that I and others take umbrage with.

I agree with your sentiment, but its the abject denigration of the indigenous worker that I and others take umbrage with.

Of course they are not lazy. 25 years ago thousands went to work in places like Germany where they could earn more money.

Of course they are not lazy. 25 years ago thousands went to work in places like Germany where they could earn more money.

Exactly, the Germans were being told how much better the British work ethic was. Nothing to do with F all work in the UK and favourable pay. What the hell do these people think Auf wiedersehen Pet was all about.

I would generally agree.

There are masses of very hard working folk in the UK. No doubt about that. However there definitely seems to be a growing minority who just can't be bothered. I don't think this has much to do with polish people either. Just the entire way the UK has 'developed' through the last few decades. The " you can get everything for nothing" attitude. Its everywhere.

I would generally agree.

There are masses of very hard working folk in the UK. No doubt about that. However there definitely seems to be a growing minority who just can't be bothered. I don't think this has much to do with polish people either. Just the entire way the UK has 'developed' through the last few decades. The " you can get everything for nothing" attitude. Its everywhere.

You agree with his post and then repeat the claim that Brits want something for nothing? :blink:

You agree with his post and then repeat the claim that Brits want something for nothing? :blink:

Not all but some (and unfortunately growing) which I don't think anyone can refute.

Not that this doesn't exist in other countries but our benefit system made it easier for those who want something for nothing.

My wife is a vet, and she just can't believe the number of benefit claimants who went to her clinic and expect things for free and because they got everything else for free!

Ps: not all like that, she has also seen many people on benefits who are lovely and have common sense, like paying for things.

I would generally agree.

There are two ways you can 'encourage' greater work ethic out of the indigenous proles - with the carrot or the stick. Immigrants have their carrot in our NMW which to many of them is a Godsend.

British youth have no carrot and no stick. You could reintroduce the stick by decimating welfare, but the social unrest and crime wave would create havoc.

Of course there is an easy way to reintroduce the carrot and that's by letting the cost of living fall, particularly assets. But I guess that doesn't suit our glorious leaders.

Edited by Maynardgravy

Depends on the nation. For some it really is the "mother-load"

For poland our minimum wage is the equivalent of £19 per hour to them.

But for somewhere like romania its more like £31 per hour.

Hang on, we're talking mass immigration here. This hasn't occured in Saudi (or Germany in the 80's) or anywhere else in the recent past in anything like the scale the UK has experienced. You and me and everyone else were at the coalface of the single, biggest wave of mass immigration in the history of this country. I don't oppose immigration. I oppose totally uncontrolled, mass immigration, without a corresponding increase in infrastructure, without caring where they were all going to live, by peoples who can undercut the indigenous populace every step of the way (and still go to the GP for free in front of someone who's paid UK tax for 40 years).

There are some differences though. You might be willing to live somewhat more poorly - if you think you'll be bringing back a ton of cash in a few years. One example. When I lived in east London, the missus and I had a one bedroom flat. It wasn't exactly big. Upstairs, six eastern europeans (at least) were crammed into the same sized flat. We had some Pakistani friends who managed to get six in a studio flat!

Obviously, there's no way someone planning to stay, raise a family and make a life could sustain those conditions. But it's perfectly feasible for a few years. The missus and I when we first started saving after getting married had a room in a shared house - but we drew the line at anything less than that. Equally, when I was younger I would happily stay on at work until past 10pm learning new stuff. Again fine for a few years - but rather less sustainable over a 40+ year career.

It's worth mentioning that the poor have for much of history been regarded as lazy, wicked and undeserving scum. So nothing new in the latest assault. A few no doubt are - just as you find in other strata within society. The vast majority, as per the rest of us, are just trying to do the best they can - and often working very hard to do so.

No need to make up stuff i never said. Someone else has kindly already explained the point again.

Hang on, we're talking mass immigration here. This hasn't occured in Saudi (or Germany in the 80's) or anywhere else in the recent past in anything like the scale the UK has experienced. You and me and everyone else were at the coalface of the single, biggest wave of mass immigration in the history of this country. I don't oppose immigration. I oppose totally uncontrolled, mass immigration, without a corresponding increase in infrastructure, without caring where they were all going to live, by peoples who can undercut the indigenous populace every step of the way (and still go to the GP for free in front of someone who's paid UK tax for 40 years).

I oppose totally uncontrolled immigration too. I agree with what you say. That wasn't my point though.

I was just pointing out that people saying immigrants come here to work for a year to go home and buy a house outright - is 99.99999999999999999999% complete nonsense. Which it is.

There are two ways you can 'encourage' greater work ethic out of the indigenous proles - with the carrot or the stick. Immigrants have their carrot in our NMW which to many of them is a Godsend.

British youth have no carrot and no stick. You could reintroduce the stick by decimating welfare, but the social unrest and crime wave would create havoc.

Of course there is an easy way to reintroduce the carrot and that's by letting the cost of living fall, particularly assets. But I guess that doesn't suit our glorious leaders.

The leaders of this country couldn't give a shit about the average bloke - whether they come from Preston or Poland. Just a number on a spreadsheet.