House Price Crash Forum

Myers-Briggs Analysis Of The Text In This Forum

HOLA441

I thought I'd have a bit of fun on a quiet holiday-quietened afternoon at work and do some Myers-Briggs analysis of some text on the first page of the each thread for this forum, running it through a software package a friend uses for her research. I don't want to get into specifics about methodology, but the results are quite stark.

You can learn more about the Myers Briggs test here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

Results show the collective forum text is very extreme in personality being an INTJ classification, which is one of the rarest groups found in only 1-4% of the population. What is more worrying is the extreme leanings in 3 of the 4 dichotomies below. My results:

dichotomy 1 - Introversion (96.8 %) vs Extraversion (3.2 %) - classified very strongly as an I - "I – Introversion preferred to extraversion: INTJs tend to be quiet and reserved. They generally prefer interacting with a few close friends rather than a wide circle of acquaintances, and they expend energy in social situations (whereas extraverts gain energy)"

dichotomy 2 - iNtuition (79.1 %) vs Sensing (20.9 %) - classified moderately strongly as an N - "Intuition preferred to sensing: INTJs tend to be more abstract than concrete. They focus their attention on the big picture rather than the details and on future possibilities rather than immediate realities."

dichotomy 3 - Thinking (96.1 %) vs Feeling (3.9 %) - classified very strongly as a T - " Thinking preferred to feeling: INTJs tend to value objective criteria above personal preference or sentiment. When making decisions they generally give more weight to logic than to social considerations"

dichotomy 4 - Judging (98.0 %) vs Perceiving (2.0 %) - classified strongly as a J - "Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting"

In summary (thanks Wikipedia!) :

INTJs are strong individualists who seek new angles or novel ways of looking at things. They enjoy coming to new understandings. They tend to be insightful and mentally quick; however, this mental quickness may not always be outwardly apparent to others since they keep a great deal to themselves. They are very determined people who trust their vision of the possibilities, regardless of what others think. They may even be considered the most independent of all of the sixteen personality types. INTJs are at their best in quietly and firmly developing their ideas, theories, and principles —Sandra Krebs Hirsch

So, are we a bunch of misunderstood and socially outcast individuals, cerebral and worldly, with strongly held views that wont be changed or communicated effectively to others? I think we are.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Or, alternatively, maybe the analysis software is crap.

The whole idea of Myers-Briggs is bull, categorising everyone into just 16 personality types is a vast oversimplification.

Even the extravert/introvert divide is nonsense, different people will be more or less extrovert in different situations.

Of course the Myers-Briggs corporation make millions from it anyway.

HOLA446
HOLA447

The whole idea of Myers-Briggs is bull, categorising everyone into just 16 personality types is a vast oversimplification.

I think its very powerful, and results I found today seem to match those from previous thread posted by winkie.

Moneysavingexpert - House Buying, Renting & Selling Forum (hugs :))

1. Extraversion (90.0 %) Introversion (10.0 %)

2. Sensing (84.9 %) iNtuition (15.1 %)

3. Thinking (55.6 %) Feeling (44.4 %)

4. Judging (63.4 %) Perceiving (36.6 %)

Look how more balanced these results are!!!!!! ESTJ's are according to Wikipedia, "practical, realistic, and matter-of-fact, with a natural head for business or mechanics. Though they are not interested in subjects they see no use for, they can apply themselves when necessary. They like to organize and run activities. ESTJs make good administrators, especially if they remember to consider others' feelings and points of view, which they often dismiss.". They are 8-12% of the population

Any other decent websites to check?

HOLA448

I thought I'd have a bit of fun on a quiet holiday-quietened afternoon at work and do some Myers-Briggs analysis of some text on the first page of the each thread for this forum, running it through a software package a friend uses for her research. I don't want to get into specifics about methodology, but the results are quite stark.

You can learn more about the Myers Briggs test here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

Results show the collective forum text is very extreme in personality being an INTJ classification, which is one of the rarest groups found in only 1-4% of the population. What is more worrying is the extreme leanings in 3 of the 4 dichotomies below. My results:

dichotomy 1 - Introversion (96.8 %) vs Extraversion (3.2 %) - classified very strongly as an I - "I – Introversion preferred to extraversion: INTJs tend to be quiet and reserved. They generally prefer interacting with a few close friends rather than a wide circle of acquaintances, and they expend energy in social situations (whereas extraverts gain energy)"

dichotomy 2 - iNtuition (79.1 %) vs Sensing (20.9 %) - classified moderately strongly as an N - "Intuition preferred to sensing: INTJs tend to be more abstract than concrete. They focus their attention on the big picture rather than the details and on future possibilities rather than immediate realities."

dichotomy 3 - Thinking (96.1 %) vs Feeling (3.9 %) - classified very strongly as a T - " Thinking preferred to feeling: INTJs tend to value objective criteria above personal preference or sentiment. When making decisions they generally give more weight to logic than to social considerations"

dichotomy 4 - Judging (98.0 %) vs Perceiving (2.0 %) - classified strongly as a J - "Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting"

In summary (thanks Wikipedia!) :

So, are we a bunch of misunderstood and socially outcast individuals, cerebral and worldly, with strongly held views that wont be changed or communicated effectively to others? I think we are.

I just took the 70 question test!

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

and

INTJ

Introvert(67%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(62%) Judging(11%)

You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)

You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (62%)

You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (11%)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I just took the 70 question test!

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

and

INTJ

Introvert(67%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(62%) Judging(11%)

You have distinctive preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)

You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)

You have distinctive preference of Thinking over Feeling (62%)

You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (11%)

Looks like I match the forum status quo too.

INTJ

Introvert(33%) iNtuitive(25%) Thinking(100%) Judging(67%)

HOLA4413

Mumsnet - Property/DIY forum ("My DH doesnt do blah blah blah either .....")

1. Extraversion (79.4 %) Introversion (20.6 %)

2. Sensing (91.4 %) iNtuition (8.6 %)

3. Feeling (79.3 %) Thinking (20.7 %)

4. Judging (66.1 %) Perceiving (33.9 %)

ESFJ, also less extreme values than HPC!

ESFJs focus on the outside world and assess their experiences subjectively. They largely base their judgments on their belief system and on the effects of actions on people. ESFJs are literal and concrete, trusting the specific, factual information gathered through their physiological senses. ESFJs project warmth through a genuine interest in the well-being of others. They are often skilled at bringing out the best in people, and they want to understand other points of view. They are serious about their responsibilities, seeing what needs to be done and then doing it. Generally proficient at detailed tasks, they enjoy doing little things that make life easier for others. They value tradition and the security it offers. Easily hurt, ESFJs seek approval. They take pleasure in other people's happiness. They give generously but expect appreciation in return. Sensitive to the physical needs of others, they respond by offering practical care. As expert people readers, ESFJs often adapt their manner to meet the expectations of others. However, they may have difficulty recognizing the shortcomings of loved ones. ESFJs tend to be vocal in expressing their sense of right and wrong. Their judgments in regard to the external world are often based on interpersonal ethics, with attention to social give and take. Compared to their ENFJ counterparts, ESFJs' values tend to be based more on those of their social group than on an independent internal set of ethics. ESFJs raised in an environment of high ethical standards tend to display true generosity and kindness. However, those who grow up surrounded by a skewed set of values may develop a false sense of integrity and use their people skills to selfishly manipulate others—particularly if their intuition is poorly developed, leaving them unable to foresee the consequences of their actions.

ESFJs seek structured, controlled environments, and tend to be good at creating a sense of order. They generally feel insecure in an atmosphere of uncertainty. They value the rule of law and expect the same of others. ESFJs may be less interested in understanding the concepts behind the rules, tending to shy away from the abstract and impersonal

I agree with findings. This analysis is bl00dy good - I'm using it next time I'm on an interview panel !!!!

Edited by Does Commute Abit

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Dammit, it looks like I also fit the forum demographic:

INTJ

Introvert(44%) iNtuitive(75%) Thinking(88%) Judging(67%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (44%)

You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)

You have strong preference of Thinking over Feeling (88%)

You have distinctive preference of Judging over Perceiving (67%)

The results from the other forums are interesting, particularly the Mumsnet one - with all the Hugzzzz, I can see how that type might dominate.

HOLA4417

last one for the night is AboveTopSecret Aliens and UFOs forum, results processing now.......

1. Introversion (78.9 %) Extraversion (21.1 %)

2. iNtuition (65.3 %) Sensing (34.7 %)

3. Thinking (61.5 %) Feeling (38.5 %)

4. Perceiving (65.4 %) Judging (34.6 %)

INTPs are quiet, thoughtful, analytical individuals who tend to spend long periods of time on their own, working through problems and forming solutions. They are curious about systems and how things work. Consequently, they are frequently found in careers such as science, philosophy, law, psychology, and architecture. INTPs tend to be less at ease in social situations or in the "caring professions", although they enjoy the company of those who share their interests. They prize autonomy in themselves and others. They generally balk at attempts by others to convince them to change. They also tend to be impatient with the bureaucracy, rigid hierarchies, and the politics prevalent in many professions. INTPs have little regard for titles and badges, which they often consider to be unnecessary or unjustified. INTPs usually come to distrust authority as hindering the uptake of novel ideas and the search for knowledge. INTPs accept ideas based on merit, rather than tradition or authority. They have little patience for social customs that seem illogical or that obstruct the pursuit of ideas and knowledge. This may place them at odds with people who have an SJ preference, since SJs tend to defer to authority, tradition, and what the rest of the group is doing. INTPs prefer to work informally with others as equals

Again, I agree with the personality type.

I wonder why HPC results were so extreme? Anyway, thats all for tonight.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

INTJ

Introvert(33%) iNtuitive(75%) Thinking(1%) Judging(1%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (33%)

You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)

You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)

You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

Oh dear !

HOLA4421

I think its very powerful, and results I found today seem to match those from previous thread posted by winkie.

As I understand it there are lots of different personality tests of varying degrees of usefullness, of them all Myers-Briggs is the least useful and least accurate.

MB is however extremely easy to learn hence its popularity; instead of studying for a degree up to masters level you can just get a certificate in a couple of weeks then set up as recruitment consultant using this as a technique. Chances of your clients knowing what's going on slim, you should be able to blind them with science and the conclusions of your work are never going to be put to the test.

So AFAIK MB is bulls***.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

As I understand it there are lots of different personality tests of varying degrees of usefullness, of them all Myers-Briggs is the least useful and least accurate.

MB is however extremely easy to learn hence its popularity; instead of studying for a degree up to masters level you can just get a certificate in a couple of weeks then set up as recruitment consultant using this as a technique. Chances of your clients knowing what's going on slim, you should be able to blind them with science and the conclusions of your work are never going to be put to the test.

So AFAIK MB is bulls***.

Could you link me up to some more useful and accurate personality tests (that the lay-man could decipher)? I'm quite interested in this area.

Personally, I think that spending too long on HPC (or any other narrow-issue online forum) will have a concentrating effect on it's users as a whole (certain 'types' might stick around for a short period as the views are too far detached from their own, leaving a core of similar types)

I also think that a persons MB type is probably so flexible it's only useful as an indicator of how someone is at that point in their life. Behaviours/opinions change over time

Edited by Reck B

HOLA4424

Personally, I think that spending too long on HPC (or any other narrow-issue online forum) will have a concentrating effect on it's users as a whole (certain 'types' might stick around for a short period as the views are too far detached from their own, leaving a core of similar types)

100% agree, and this forum is strongly INTJ, both from this whole-text analysis and from the poll winkie posted from the 2010 thread.

What's a little worrying is the extreme values generated for HPC in three of the four dichotomies from my analysis - is the forum getting a bit group think and self-selective maybe? Where are the contra opinions or housing bulls these days?

Edited by Does Commute Abit

HOLA4425

I got a request to do the General Discussions forum of a place ran by an ex-poster here who has got a bit carried away with the idea of alien abduction. Either you know him, or you don't. Results for those interested:

Introversion (86.6 %) Extraversion (13.4 %)

iNtuition (83.0 %) Sensing (17.0 %)

Thinking (98.4 %) Feeling (1.6 %)

Judging (57.0 %) Perceiving (43.0 %)