House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Let Them Eat Stale Bread

Big business doesn't want us eating healthy, cheap, home prepared foods like they do in parts of southern Europe.......they want to make money from the poor and incapable so sell them expensive ready prepared convenience foods and take aways......GDP init. ;)

Big business doesn't want us eating healthy, cheap, home prepared foods like they do in parts of southern Europe.......they want to make money from the poor and incapable so sell them expensive ready prepared convenience foods and take aways......GDP init. ;)

Benefit recovery through VAT to boot.

Don't forget the increased health bills from such a poor diet too - all those extra health workers and increased taxes - another boost to GDP it is....

I have very mixed feelings about Oliver. He has done a lot of good work, makes good points and rattled a few cages. I can't stand his face, though.

But his £150m fortune is due to a great part to his TV appearances. He uses TV to proselytise, but seems critical of poor people with an expensive TV, supposedly the people he is using TV to reach. And TV wouldn't be so expensive if TV chefs weren't so highly paid...

As for eating stale bread; I agree. I rarely throw food away (it usually gets eaten before it gets stale) but find it a challenge to buy portions that are both affordable and not so large they will go off before being fully consumed.

Boots sandwiches to have Jamie Oliver on them

I think people should eat more lard, and play the bassoon more often! :blink:

I have very mixed feelings about Oliver.

Same here.

He is absolutely correct - many 'classic' dishes are basically ingenious combinations of cheap ingredients, and there is no excuse for surviving on a diet of McCain chips "cos they're all we can afford, innit".

On the other hand, he is an insufferably smug git, and the one time that I've eaten in one of his restaurants was the worst meal I've had in ages...

Same here.

He is absolutely correct - many 'classic' dishes are basically ingenious combinations of cheap ingredients, and there is no excuse for surviving on a diet of McCain chips "cos they're all we can afford, innit".

On the other hand, he is an insufferably smug git, and the one time that I've eaten in one of his restaurants was the worst meal I've had in ages...

Agreed. Being a chef is a hard job, so I can hardly blame him for selling out when he became high profile, but Oliver's £150m fortune and the rather indifferent restaurants he puts his name to makes me wonder if he is also lacking in a different way.

His message is broadly correct though- poor nutrition is pretty much completely avoidable in the UK, whatever your income level. It's hardly a revelation though, but perhaps it needs said now and again. The poorest and most disadvantaged often lack the organisational skills of others, and I think this is the root of many issues. Even simple things like weekly pay versus monthly bills can leave some people unable to cope and plan to save a bit in anticipation. It's why they get screwed on pretty much everything, why else does the chain "Bright House" exist? It's for people who have such a catastrophic deficiency in assessing/managing their finances that they are willing to pay hugely over the odds for stuff they may not even need.

A friend of a friend was a primary school teacher in a deprived area and had to routinely teach children how to use cutlery/set a table.

Can't be too harsh though, there are many reasons at play for any particular individual. And Oliver is a bit of a tool. I heartily recommend his Moroccan lamb burgers though, truly tasty.

Agreed. Being a chef is a hard job, so I can hardly blame him for selling out when he became high profile, but Oliver's £150m fortune and the rather indifferent restaurants he puts his name to makes me wonder if he is also lacking in a different way.

His message is broadly correct though- poor nutrition is pretty much completely avoidable in the UK, whatever your income level. It's hardly a revelation though, but perhaps it needs said now and again. The poorest and most disadvantaged often lack the organisational skills of others, and I think this is the root of many issues. Even simple things like weekly pay versus monthly bills can leave some people unable to cope and plan to save a bit in anticipation. It's why they get screwed on pretty much everything, why else does the chain "Bright House" exist? It's for people who have such a catastrophic deficiency in assessing/managing their finances that they are willing to pay hugely over the odds for stuff they may not even need.

A friend of a friend was a primary school teacher in a deprived area and had to routinely teach children how to use cutlery/set a table.

Can't be too harsh though, there are many reasons at play for any particular individual. And Oliver is a bit of a tool. I heartily recommend his Moroccan lamb burgers though, truly tasty.

I think Oliver has always been more PR than chef. I did tend to notice that his cookery skills appeared to be wanting on the television, tends to short cut the difficult arty type stuff. However, this latest controversy sees his star again on the rise as he is featured in today's Telegraph.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10268365/Jamie-Oliver-is-right-a-poor-diet-is-the-national-disease.html

He told the magazine:"You might remember that scene in Ministry Of Food, with the mum and the kid eating chips and cheese out of Styrofoam containers, and behind them is a massive TV – in a poxy 2 bed flat that the government is subsidising some scumlord to the tune of tens of thousands a year in rentier payments. It just didn’t weigh up."

The micro meals aren’t the problem.

Good article though, reminded me I’ve got some stale bread that needs crumbing so I can make some salmon fishfingers at the weekend!

Jamie prefers Eastern European workers

He is only saying what a lot of other businessmen know - that it is easier to work people to the bone if they come from a poor country.

He also seems to be commending the 100 hour week too. While it might give him pleasure working for himself to earn another million by working a 100 hour week, it is something different to be stuck doing it in a dead end minimum wage job.

Jamie prefers Eastern European workers

He is only saying what a lot of other businessmen know - that it is easier to work people to the bone if they come from a poor country.

He also seems to be commending the 100 hour week too. While it might give him pleasure working for himself to earn another million by working a 100 hour week, it is something different to be stuck doing it in a dead end minimum wage job.

Seems to be following a theme...the lazy pleb scum. Can't work, can't be bothered to make meals. The 100 hours a week is getting to him, I suppose it is hard not to hold those views if you are as driven as him.

The world needs a mixture of types - those absolutely driven to succeed with a vision, and those happy to contribute to it.

Jamie makes the same mistake as many successful people - assuming it is desirable to have more people like themselves. If there were - well his life would be a lot more difficult (and he'd likely have a much smaller pie).

Success is a mixture of opportunity, drive and ability. Even if you have the ability and drive - you can't guarantee the opportunities will emerge (although I personally believe the world is a little flatter in some respects than in the past).

I have very mixed feelings about Oliver. He has done a lot of good work, makes good points and rattled a few cages. I can't stand his face, though.

This. In the top ten of most punchable faces. Not his fault I guess, and can't help but agree with his logic on this one...

You can never win with saying that you don't need a lot of money to eat well. There are just too many vested interests in the UK making a living out of the idea that there is 'poverty' everywhere and we all need to pay a lot more money to them to combat it.

Heard him on R4 this morning - very tetchy, especially when he was accused of having a bad attitude toward women: "I employ 7000 women!"

Jeez, I thought he was mostly about marketing, but he seems to have built a small industry for himself.

Most interesting bit: "We have to get out of recession. We're still in it. I know what my customers spend, inside out, and they are still in recession."

I'd rather go to "Curry Hell", in Newcastle! But Lord Harpole, has recently expired! :blink:

Heard him on R4 this morning - very tetchy, especially when he was accused of having a bad attitude toward women: "I employ 7000 women!"

Jeez, I thought he was mostly about marketing, but he seems to have built a small industry for himself.

Most interesting bit: "We have to get out of recession. We're still in it. I know what my customers spend, inside out, and they are still in recession."

Me too. Jane Garvey ended up getting a roasting from the women listeners for her confrontational interrogation of Oliver.

Oliver doesn't need their support, he can hold his own. He is very much an orator first and a chef second...................

So what culinary skills was he showing off on Women's Hour, how to make a soufflé rise maybe, or highly advanced Jame Martinesque sugar craft skills. Nah a British fry up, bang it all in.