House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hi2u_uk

How To Speed Up Conveyancing/solicitors

Im in the process of buying and its been 2 months and nothing has happened. My solicitor is allegedly waiting for the vendors solicitor to send title deeds before they do anything.

Does anyone have any tips about making solicitors move quicker ? The estate agent and vendor seems to be sitting back and doing nothing and i call up my solicitor weekly and get the excuse above. The mortgage, survey etc is all done.

Also note that there are no similar properties for the price im paying in the location im buying in as i keep looking regularly. Just need tips to make the solicitors focus on my purchase more. Its a no completion no fee arrangement

The process is purposely slow. You're in a captive market. Tesco tried to speed up conveyancing by taking it online and slashing costs but the estate agent lobby stopped them instantly.

You, as the buyer, have no power in the buying process until you have exchanged. The vendor can pull out whenever they want and unless you can apply pressure to the solicitors/vendors of the house your vendor might be purchasing (if you are in a chain) there is little you can do but keep chasing everyday.

Remember, they might be trying to do lots of different things. Considering a higher offer? Considering buy to let? Getting a buy to let mortgage whilst having you as a back up? Your solicitor doesn't need title deeds until you exchanged / completed . Ask your solicitor to confirm from the vendors solicitor when they are expecting to move out and what date they want to set for exchange and if there are any outstanding enquiries?

It sounds like they have something else planned, your only trump card is threatening to pull out...but then if you want a property it means you've lost money on surveys etc and you'd then have to find a new place

The process is purposely slow. You're in a captive market. Tesco tried to speed up conveyancing by taking it online and slashing costs but the estate agent lobby stopped them instantly.

You, as the buyer, have no power in the buying process until you have exchanged. The vendor can pull out whenever they want and unless you can apply pressure to the solicitors/vendors of the house your vendor might be purchasing (if you are in a chain) there is little you can do but keep chasing everyday.

Remember, they might be trying to do lots of different things. Considering a higher offer? Considering buy to let? Getting a buy to let mortgage whilst having you as a back up? Your solicitor doesn't need title deeds until you exchanged / completed . Ask your solicitor to confirm from the vendors solicitor when they are expecting to move out and what date they want to set for exchange and if there are any outstanding enquiries?

It sounds like they have something else planned, your only trump card is threatening to pull out...but then if you want a property it means you've lost money on surveys etc and you'd then have to find a new place

Thanks for this reply, i have previously asked the solicitor why they need title deeds and they said that they cant do searches without the deeds so for the last few months they have done nothing apart from wait for these documents. I'm a first time buyer so i basically just take the word of these people , im not particularly sure what these solicitors are actually doing or searching for as its an ex local authority flat. Id assume the council exercise a lot of sense when building homes.

I phoned my solicitor today and he is so posh that i cant understand a word of what he is saying but he couldn't find my file so will be checking with his assistant tomorrow but he does agree that its been taking longer than usual and he was surprised that the seller isnt complaining about the length of time this is taking. The estate agents aren't fussed either but i think this is probably because its one of the cheapest properties on their books so its small change to them . The property has been removed from the internet and is vacant as it was previously let out . The owner doesnt live there. I walk past weekly and no lights are on :lol:

Thanks for this reply, i have previously asked the solicitor why they need title deeds and they said that they cant do searches without the deeds so for the last few months they have done nothing apart from wait for these documents.

If its ex-council - sometimes you need the original lease from the council. This can take up to 6 weeks (or longer!) to get. They might be waiting for this. But that doesn't preclude them from conducting searches on the property. They know the address and location and you have paid them a retainer to get on with this.

If its ex-council - sometimes you need the original lease from the council. This can take up to 6 weeks (or longer!) to get. They might be waiting for this. But that doesn't preclude them from conducting searches on the property. They know the address and location and you have paid them a retainer to get on with this.

6 more weeks , thats ridiculous

This is very useful before I go hiring any conveyancing solicitors. I know it's an old post but I just thought I'd bring it up as I personally found it pretty useful.

Understand that as a buyer - no-one is out to help you in the process.

Seller - out for themselves

Estate Agent - out for themselves but working for seller

Conveyancer - Only check over the basics. Will provide little other advice and almost zero protection.

Surveyor - Produces a crappy report which is couched in such a way that there is no comeback if the place turns out to be the money pit from hell.

Basically, you have more consumer protection buying a sandwich from Asda than a house.

Understand that as a buyer - no-one is out to help you in the process.

Seller - out for themselves

Estate Agent - out for themselves but working for seller

Conveyancer - Only check over the basics. Will provide little other advice and almost zero protection.

Surveyor - Produces a crappy report which is couched in such a way that there is no comeback if the place turns out to be the money pit from hell.

Basically, you have more consumer protection buying a sandwich from Asda than a house.

Isn't there a case for conveyancers etc performing better as this will surely improve their standing? If someone does a good job then they're more likely to be recommended by others, aren't they? I mean, if everyone else is so bad at it, why doesn't one company just improve and become easily the best?