House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy_renting

Uk Considers Ban On Mobile Phones Like Car Key Fobs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23782136

UK officials are considering banning the sale of small mobile phones designed to resemble car key fobs.

A government spokesman told the BBC that it was discussing the issue with the National Trading Standards Board and the Serious Organised Crime Agency.

In the meantime the NTSB has asked retailers to stop selling the products

The Times had reported some of the Chinese-made products were being advertised with prisoners in mind - having a mobile in jail is an offence.

So the problem is that these phons are basic, but small - which makes them useful to a lot of people; and they bear a car brand logo so they look superficially like key fobs.

1 ) Banning something usef ul just because it might be used in prisons is sheer idiocy. A small phone could be usefuil for a lot of people.

2) So a prisoner with a key fob would not seem suspect? WTF would they think a key fob is for?

3) Visitors should not be able to pass items to prisoners- it's a matter of vigilance and having a suitable barrier.

4) Yeah, making these things illegal is really going to deter an imprisoned criminal from wanting one, especially as they are banned from having any phone anyway.

5) Visitors should be screened with metal detectors.

6 ) If a small phone can get through, a larger one can almost as easily. Especially if it is dismantled into smaller parts.

Total over-reaction, and a ban would be ineffective too.

I do realise that part of the problem is that a visitor carrying a 'key fob' phone might not be spotted before passing it to a prisoner, but there are other measures that can and should be taken, surely.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers intend to co-operate. How, exactly? Do what, FFS? :rolleyes:

And this scare tactic:

"There is a strong possibility that these products were not put through the stringent safety testing UK products go through, which means that there is a chance they are electrically unsafe meaning they could cause fires and injure consumers through electrocution," it said.

<_<

I mean, look at this ban 'solution' rationally. Phones in prisons are banned anyway. The small phones are hard to spot, so enforcing the ban will be as difficult as - well, as difficult as spotting and siezing the small phone anyway, which is what is done now in any case. And preventing them from entering the UK? Get real.

The proposed ban will not really prevent any misuse, nor in practice further restrict phone use in prisons; just inconvenience people.

who want such a phone for legitimate reasons

It shows what idiots we have for officials in this country.

The skall phones are hard to spot, so enforcing the ban will be as difficult as - well, as difficult as spotting and siezing the small phone anyway, which is what is done now in any case.

It would be easier and cheaper to knock down the base stations in or around prisons, or if that caused too much inconvenience, perhaps imbue prison cell walls with a wire mesh to attenuate any signals.

perhaps imbue prison cell walls with a wire mesh to attenuate any signals.

My Faraday Cage works a treat. The voices have stopped, almost completely.

My Faraday Cage works a treat. The voices have stopped, almost completely.

If you go into your cage wearing a tinfoil hat, that should stop them completely. :)

If you go into your cage wearing a tinfoil hat, that should stop them completely. :)

Ive had my skull lined with tin foil...on the inside.....got it on the NHS due to how the voices were affecting my well being and inner peace.

I can see it now the Mobile Phone (Minimum Size) Statutory Regulations 2014

All, phones to comply with the following size specification

old-cell.jpg

Next week a government official announces the new road safety legislation that will cut down on speeding by ensuring that each vehicle is preceded by a man with a red flag

Mobile phones are about to take on the appearance of watches. Banning them could prove problematic but I expect Westminster's sluts and nuts will have a go.

It would be easier and cheaper to knock down the base stations in or around prisons, or if that caused too much inconvenience, perhaps imbue prison cell walls with a wire mesh to attenuate any signals.

Not likely. Big building in cheap area of town = nice fat fees and few complaints.

I can see it now the Mobile Phone (Minimum Size) Statutory Regulations 2014

All, phones to comply with the following size specification

old-cell.jpg

At least no one will be able to make mobile calls while driving; it takes two hands just to lift that phone to your ear! :)

Ive had my skull lined with tin foil...on the inside.....got it on the NHS due to how the voices were affecting my well being and inner peace.

Shhhh...don't tell everyone. Or bang will go the good tfh waiting list stats.

Mobile phones are about to take on the appearance of watches. Banning them could prove problematic but I expect Westminster's sluts and nuts will have a go.

This looks half decent, watch phone and MP3 player:

tag-mockup.jpg

I thought something was amiss, we'd gone 13 hours without the totalitoryan party banning something.

The scary thing is they don't ban as much stuff as the last lot. Voting in the UK is like being asked whether you'd rather have your head cut off and turned into an ash tray by Dennis Nilsen or Jeffrey Dahmer.

I think they'll ulitmately have to allow prisoners full blown internet access if rehabilitation is to be considered, even slightly, an option.