House Price Crash Forum

Oft Investigating 6 Yet Unnamed Furniture & Carpet Stores Over Fake Sales

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Would it be anything to do with massively inflated prices, with not quite so massive discounts?

This really needs investigating!

I suggest they watch TV and all the evidence is there. :lol:

So this is what it feels like when doves cry...

I've never understood how they charge so much for furniture generally. I know it takes some skill to manufacture, unlike other goods that can be pulled off an automated production line, but the cost of some furniture is insane.

And then they massively discount it on Boxing Day etc so they can't be losing that much money on it.

Why not sell it at a reduced, reasonable amount throughout the year to increase sales generally??

Oh wait it's because people will just pay it rather than questioning why it 'costs' that much rather than looking at its value. A la house prices...

HOLA445

It is all down to how people perceive what is value........double it to half it, if it is half of what it used to be when they didn't sell any because they didn't expect to, it must be half price, half price 50% off is value is it not?

I once took apart a modern sofa it was made up of 2x2 sawn soft wood the material and stuffing held together with glue and staples, so if you laid out all the constituents side by side and totted up the value you would get a clearer picture of what the true value is. ;)

HOLA446

How can this possibly require an investigation? It's common knowledge that furniture 'sales' are BS.

IMHO the rules need to be changed so that for something to be classed as discounted a particular number of units have to be sold at the higher price, rather than the item just having to have been on sale at the higher price in a proportion of stores for a period of time.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

So this is what it feels like when doves cry...

I've never understood how they charge so much for furniture generally. I know it takes some skill to manufacture, unlike other goods that can be pulled off an automated production line, but the cost of some furniture is insane.

They don't, only idiots pay the marked up price. What was that, 5% of all purchases ?

And then they massively discount it on Boxing Day etc so they can't be losing that much money on it.

They aren't. They are still making a reasonable profit on this 'sale price'. The stupidity is the purchaser not negotiating a discount on the 'sale price'.

Why not sell it at a reduced, reasonable amount throughout the year to increase sales generally??

Don't you just love a bargain ?

Oh wait it's because people will just pay it rather than questioning why it 'costs' that much rather than looking at its value. A la house prices...

This post both exemplifies how the word 'reduced' has come to replace the words 'correct price', and how people will flock to a perceived bargain, which is paid for on credit, of course.

Still, I'm now helpfully, funding the shortfall from my savings. I hope everyone is sitting pretty.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4411

If the sofa is comfy then who cares?

I have some Ikea sofas that were £120 each. They aren't comfy at all. At the time (in 2008 financial crisis) when I was in renting the proper manufacturers of sofas had six month lead times!

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I think this says more about the customers than it does about the furniture shops.

It seems to me that there are too many people who consider spending £500 on something that was (allegedly) £700 once as saving £200. I've also noticed that people who take this stance delight in telling you what a great deal they got and how much they 'saved', yet if I were to mention how much I've saved by not buying anything at all, I'm sure I'd just get a groan.

'Saving' via spending seems to be more socially acceptable than saving by not buying anything. ;)

HOLA4415

I once took apart a modern sofa it was made up of 2x2 sawn soft wood the material and stuffing held together with glue and staples, so if you laid out all the constituents side by side and totted up the value you would get a clearer picture of what the true value is. ;)

Having had to repair one that eventually I got the money back on they are p155 poor to say the least. To be honest spending another ten minutes building it would have given it a more sturdy frame allowing it to be suitable for purpose.

When I bought the last suite the salesman said they put the cheap stuff in the window as that is what most people want, the suit we went for had a 10 guarantee on the frame so I presume it's held together far better than the cheap end stuff.

Edited by interestrateripoff

HOLA4416

Surely the news is that the OFT are investigating something that the vast majority of the population has known aout for years?

I mean, seriously, who actually believes that these companies can have real 50-70% offf sales 12 months a year and not go bankrupt?

HOLA4417

Given the number of people that either work in retail and so must be aware of 'pricing strategies' and 'true cost', or must be related to people in retail, I am amazed that the general public fall for these 'tactics'.

When they leave their retail job in their shop and go shopping themselves, do they think suddenly that all the prices in the other stores are uninflated ?

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4418

Surely the news is that the OFT are investigating something that the vast majority of the population has known aout for years?

I mean, seriously, who actually believes that these companies can have real 50-70% offf sales 12 months a year and not go bankrupt?

You have got it in one. I thought that was too obvious. Come back government, or perhaps Wills could you get Kate up the duff again ? and then we can get back to the 'other type of news'

HOLA4419

Given the number of people that either work in retail and so must be aware of 'pricing strategies' and 'true cost', or must be related to people in retail, I am amazed that the general public fall for these 'tactics'.

When they leave their retail job in their shop and go shopping themselves, do they think suddenly that all the prices in the other stores are uninflated ?

........even more confusing is that despite these amazing discounts all national chains still manage to be more expensive than a good independent retailer :blink:

never understood that one :rolleyes:

HOLA4420

........even more confusing is that despite these amazing discounts all national chains still manage to be more expensive than a good independent retailer :blink:

I'll finish your sentence

....than a good independent retailer who knows their product, sells well made goods and can give advice.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4421

never understood that one :rolleyes:

I can vouch for that......bought carpets in both places, with the excellent independent retailer not only was the quality of the wool carpet, the thick underlay and the service far better than I received in a chain store, the price was not a lot in it....got far more for your hard earned pounds.........I also recommended them to others I know......word of mouth means much more to those who have an interest in keeping their customers happy by not stitching them up with smoke and mirrors......re-purchase and recommend. ;)