House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissy_fit

Gcse Maths Questions On The Beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23779549

'O' level maths was 33 years ago for me, I still got 7 out of 7 with no effort except for a few seconds reflection on the triangle/north question.

I should add that I am no mathematician, a humble computer bod, me.

Surely the exams have harder stuff than that in, don't they?

This is a wind-up by the BBC to get us all frothing about declining standards?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-23779549

'O' level maths was 33 years ago for me, I still got 7 out of 7 with no effort except for a few seconds reflection on the triangle/north question.

Confused with the fraction one as there were no brackets...or maybe there is new maths?...so get all for A* pass with half and dont fail with less.

great grading.

No, that looks about O-level standard to me, as I remember it, though the probability question seemed a bit simple. I got 7/7 too, but I've got to admit I didn't do so well with the science test yesterday or the history test the day before.

The whole lefty principle behind exams these days is they do not exist for you to be able to discriminate. They exist to allow everyone to demonstrate a certain standard of attainment and thus catagorise everyone as an equal.

There is no gradual grading of questions to allow some to demonstrate better/worse skills than others.

I would not say that the questions the Beeb posed were "easy", they seemed fairly typical of a lot of stuff I encountered at O level from memory. But they do not demonstrate significant scaling in difficulty. Maybe it's because they were selected badly.

Anyway, most of the people that would attempt the test that ahven't used say trig for 20 years woudl ahve forgotten it and therefore the question would be impossible to answer. That of course does not make the questions "hard". There are a fair few peoples I met 20 years ago who's names I can't remember but that doesn't make me an idiot. Well at least not in my opinion anyway.

Oh yeah I scored 7/7 of course.

The whole lefty principle behind exams these days is they do not exist for you to be able to discriminate. They exist to allow everyone to demonstrate a certain standard of attainment and thus catagorise everyone as an equal.

There is no gradual grading of questions to allow some to demonstrate better/worse skills than others.

I would not say that the questions the Beeb posed were "easy", they seemed fairly typical of a lot of stuff I encountered at O level from memory. But they do not demonstrate significant scaling in difficulty. Maybe it's because they were selected badly.

Anyway, most of the people that would attempt the test that ahven't used say trig for 20 years woudl ahve forgotten it and therefore the question would be impossible to answer. That of course does not make the questions "hard". There are a fair few peoples I met 20 years ago who's names I can't remember but that doesn't make me an idiot. Well at least not in my opinion anyway.

Oh yeah I scored 7/7 of course.

you could do the trig question with dead reckoning

Yes. That would be the smart way. Of course you wouldnt get any extra points for that.

i imagine there where plenty of budding George Osbornes that looked at the picture and thought its more than half

How do you get extra points on a multiple choice?

Yes. That would be the smart way. Of course you wouldnt get any extra points for that.

What does he mean by "dead reckoning" here - making an accurate drawing and measuring?

That wouldn't be at all smart, since it'd take ages and wouldn't be very accurate. How can there be a simpler way of doing it than multiplying by the cosine of the angle?

What does he mean by "dead reckoning" here - making an accurate drawing and measuring?

That wouldn't be at all smart, since it'd take ages and wouldn't be very accurate. How can there be a simpler way of doing it than multiplying by the cosine of the angle?

The angle was 72 degrees with a right angle so simple thought application had to make it substantially less than half the diagonal and only one answer was less than half

Far more robust than all that silly old harry caught a herring bollarcks

The angle was 72 degrees so simple thought application had to make it substantially less than half the diagonal and only one answer was less than half

That's not dead reckoning, that's approximation and elimination. Anyway, how do you know it had to be substantially less than the diagonal. What angle would it need to be to have the distance north equal to half the diagonal?

The angle was 72 degrees with a right angle so simple thought application had to make it substantially less than half the diagonal and only one answer was less than half

That was how I did it, couldn't remember the trig to be honest although when I looked at the answers I remembered all that cosine stuff and how I programmed my calculator with it for the exam(programmables were forbidden in 1980 but it didn't look like one :) ).

i imagine there where plenty of budding George Osbornes that looked at the picture and thought its more than half

How do you get extra points on a multiple choice?

You can't get extra points. You can of course get the monkey score by just picking random answers. It's a great leveller. Which of course is the whole point.

That was how I did it, couldn't remember the trig to be honest although when I looked at the answers I remembered all that cosine stuff and how I programmed my calculator with it for the exam(programmables were forbidden in 1980 but it didn't look like one :) ).

I didn't know calculators had been invented in 1980. Did you have to wheel it in on a trolley ?

I didn't know calculators had been invented in 1980. Did you have to wheel it in on a trolley ?

No! You had to have a pocket load of spare batteries!

the test question drawing was very wrong....I used dead reckoning in my minds eye to come up with the only rough answer that matched.

Dead reckoning is very accurate...good enough to bomb germany from 300 miles away....in the daytime at least.

The o'level education couldn't have been that good there were politicians that didn't know the difference between the debt and the deficit. Plus when you really think about it the mess we're in now is because of old people and their choices. Still I concur, my experience of state education was that it was basically overpaid child care.

The o'level education couldn't have been that good there were politicians that didn't know the difference between the debt and the deficit.

Pretty sure that they all know the difference however some are happy to confuse the two for political reasons.

That's not dead reckoning, that's approximation and elimination. Anyway, how do you know it had to be substantially less than the diagonal. What angle would it need to be to have the distance north equal to half the diagonal?

What? You don't know your trig identities? Shame on you. Lol :lol:

Anyway, for some reason I do remember a few of them (probably because I used to have a hobby programming 3D game engines). Cos 60 deg = 0.5, so the critical angle in your question is 60 degrees.

But yes, the diagram confused the heck out of me, as I had done the mental work to realise cos 72 deg must be significantly less than 0.5, but it didn't seem to tally with the diagram on first look.

Then, of course, there was still the low cost, non-battery reliant option...

25jgqhk.jpg

I had those too! :lol:

I think I have an inkling to get "log tables" again! I wonder if they are still available? :blink:

Nobody knows why mathematics works now!

I had those too! :lol:

I think I have an inkling to get "log tables" again! I wonder if they are still available? :blink:

Nobody knows why mathematics works now!

A shiny new set of four figure maths tables can be yours for £3.2000

Perfect for post EMP attack scenarios.

No reviews though.