House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Any Credit Card Recommendations?

I'm contemplating getting a credit card. Mainly, this would be for the extra insurance/security that I understand applies when purchasing with a credit (rather than debit) card, but it occurs to me that if there are any credit cards on which purchases cause the collection of points/cashback/vouchers or other perks of this nature (which essentially has the effect of reducing the cost--however marginally--of whatever it is you're buying with it) then that may be of interest to me.

I'm not much bothered (I don't think) what the IR is because I wouldn't ever expect to be using it for credit--I'd want to pay the whole amount off each month possibly by Direct Debit, and I don't have any existing credit card debt to transfer or anything.

Any recommendations?

I'm contemplating getting a credit card. Mainly, this would be for the extra insurance/security that I understand applies when purchasing with a credit (rather than debit) card, but it occurs to me that if there are any credit cards on which purchases cause the collection of points/cashback/vouchers or other perks of this nature (which essentially has the effect of reducing the cost--however marginally--of whatever it is you're buying with it) then that may be of interest to me.

I'm not much bothered (I don't think) what the IR is because I wouldn't ever expect to be using it for credit--I'd want to pay the whole amount off each month possibly by Direct Debit, and I don't have any existing credit card debt to transfer or anything.

Any recommendations?

This one looks reasonable

https://www.vanquis.co.uk/apply

The Halifax has one which gives you £5 cashback if you spend over £300, although I think you need to hold a Halifax current account to qualify, which also pays you £5 a month.

However if you don't have a halifax current account this may not be a great deal, although they are offering £100 to switch current accounts.

An Amex card that gives 1% cash back on everything

The. You will need a back up visa / MasterCard for the places that don't take Amex. The cash back rates on the Santander 123 card are variable, 3% on petrol for eg, 1% in supermarkets.

So I'd get these two.

I use a credit card for all purchased whether online or offline (except for airline tickets where you get screwed on fees for using a cc) then if someone gets your details and hacks your account, it's not your money they're stealing, so it's less hassle to "get it back"

Asda have a cash back one ...... no idea what you get though

Oh wait there you go..

The Asda Money Credit Card

1% cashback on your Asda shopping & Asda fuel

0.5% cashback everywhere else

Unlimited cashback

New - now you can just tap and go with contactless payments

If it were me I would not be interested by give aways........the card that gives the longest interest free period where it can be automatically repaid each month by direct debit...no interest to pay ever....the next benefit would be the cheapest card to use in shops in the EU.....never get cash out with a credit card anywhere. ;)

Capital one is good. They have a range to chose from, but the one I have is 1% of everything and £10 bonus per year. You also get free access to Equifax credit monitoring service, and two free full credit reports per year.

I spend absolutely everything on it, and get well over £100 back every January!

Thanks for the replies. I started by looking at MSE, but it seemed to me that their top picks were those with highish introductory cashback rates (e.g., 5% for three months) which is not all that interesting to me--I feel that I just want a steady 1% or 0.5% or whatever.

The Asda one is quite appealing just because we tend to buy most of our groceries and petrol at our local Asda, so getting 1% off what we do anyway seems worthwhile. Having said that, when I do the arithmetic on how much money we'd actually save on our groceries each year, it does seem rather marginal--it'd probably add up to less than £20 a year.

The reality is, we're not big spenders generally, so 1% turns out to be pretty piddling. For example, even if we bought a holiday for a thousand pounds, the five quid we'd get back with the Asda card does feel somewhat in the realm of 'rounding error' or 'noise'. Certainly, it feels like there are ways of saving much more than 0.5% (or even 1%) on most purchases just by shopping around etc.

I'll do a little more pondering. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I started by looking at MSE, but it seemed to me that their top picks were those with highish introductory cashback rates (e.g., 5% for three months) which is not all that interesting to me--I feel that I just want a steady 1% or 0.5% or whatever.

The Asda one is quite appealing just because we tend to buy most of our groceries and petrol at our local Asda, so getting 1% off what we do anyway seems worthwhile. Having said that, when I do the arithmetic on how much money we'd actually save on our groceries each year, it does seem rather marginal--it'd probably add up to less than £20 a year.

The reality is, we're not big spenders generally, so 1% turns out to be pretty piddling. For example, even if we bought a holiday for a thousand pounds, the five quid we'd get back with the Asda card does feel somewhat in the realm of 'rounding error' or 'noise'. Certainly, it feels like there are ways of saving much more than 0.5% (or even 1%) on most purchases just by shopping around etc.

I'll do a little more pondering. ;)

As long as you spend more than £300 the halifax one may be a good idea.

Though make sure the DD gets set up properly, mine didn't and even after I argued with them and got the fee back my card was instantly stopped and remains so to this day.