House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

For Barnes & Noble's Nook, The Beginning Of The End

http://www.zdnet.com/for-barnes-and-nobles-nook-the-beginning-of-the-end-7000019630/?s_cid=e589&ttag=e589

The U.S. bookseller Barnes & Noble revealed this morning that its core businesses—from brick-and-mortar stores to its Nook e-reader business—are collapsing.

The last massive entity in a rapidly consolidating industry, the company is engaged in a downward tumble. The question is whether it will slow to a stop or simply roll off a cliff.

The company posted quarterly revenues of $1.3 billion, down 8.5 percent from the same period a year ago. It posted a loss of $87 million, almost twice as much as investors expected.

Its Nook e-reader business, which includes hardware and digital content, logged revenues of just $153 million, down more than 20 percent from the same period a year ago. Hardware sales were down 23 percent and content sales were down almost 16 percent.

Its retail group, which includes brick-and-mortar stores and the company's namesake website, totaled $1 billion in revenue for the quarter, down 9.9 percent from the same time last year.

"We are laser-focused on becoming more efficient and financially sound by managing both our operating expenses and inventory commitment levels," Barnes & Noble president and NOOK media CEO Michael Huseby said during the investors call explaining the company's fiscal results

So currently they aren't efficient and aren't financially sound? But they are "laser" focused on achieving that! Management bu115h1t at it's finest.

http://www.zdnet.com/for-barnes-and-nobles-nook-the-beginning-of-the-end-7000019630/?s_cid=e589&ttag=e589

So currently they aren't efficient and aren't financially sound? But they are "laser" focused on achieving that! Management bu115h1t at it's finest.

I guess the Nook reader sales are affected by the fact they dropped the price considerably, would be useful to see sales as 'units' instead. The content sales dropped by less than the machine sales so perhaps evidence of more machines being in use. The numbers next year will be interesting as all the cheap Nooks will have been around for longer.

That said, I have a cheap Nook and have spent £0.00 on content so far.

edit, B&N think I'm going to spend on content:

"We believe that by offering high quality reading devices at lower cost we will be able to drive higher volumes of devices and therefore higher content adoption and revenues," Huseby said.
Edited by cheeznbreed

I guess the Nook reader sales are affected by the fact they dropped the price considerably, would be useful to see sales as 'units' instead. The content sales dropped by less than the machine sales so perhaps evidence of more machines being in use. The numbers next year will be interesting as all the cheap Nooks will have been around for longer.

edit, B&N think I'm going to spend on content:

They should price the nooks at a level where they're almost giving them away, and rely on these being their new 'bookstores'. Or buy a book over £10 and get a free nook, something like that. They need to get everyone on their platform and away from amazon.

They should price the nooks at a level where they're almost giving them away, and rely on these being their new 'bookstores'. Or buy a book over £10 and get a free nook, something like that. They need to get everyone on their platform and away from amazon.

In fairness it only cost £30, which must have been around breakeven for B&N, so I guess they were giving them away. It was sufficiently cheap to get me to take a punt on one despite not really being in the market for an eReader. Whether others thought along similar lines is another matter.

Exactly the same amount I have spent at the Nook store.

Although I have splashed out at the amazon store and bought two 99p books and converted them to read on the nook.

Exactly the same amount I have spent at the Nook store.

Although I have splashed out at the amazon store and bought two 99p books and converted them to read on the nook.

Extravagance!

I too have spent nothing on my nook - got a lot of free books on it yet to read too! :)