House Price Crash Forum

The Hobbit Love Story Trilogy

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I have just been watching the gay Hobbit films and was wondering why they are called 'Lord of the Rings' when there is in fact only one ring?

Is 'rings' a metaphor for some sexual act between the Hobbits? They seem so in love with one another.

Only one ring?

That's stretching things a little bit.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I have just been watching the gay Hobbit films and was wondering why they are called 'Lord of the Rings' when there is in fact only one ring?

Is 'rings' a metaphor for some sexual act between the Hobbits? They seem so in love with one another.

You must have missed the bit about the 9 rings given to mortal men, 7 to the Dwarf Lords in their halls of stone and the 3 that the Elves made.

Did you actually watch the films? You certainly haven't read the book.

HOLA448

You must have missed the bit about the 9 rings given to mortal men, 7 to the Dwarf Lords in their halls of stone and the 3 that the Elves made.

Did you actually watch the films? You certainly haven't read the book.

To be fair, the films only bear a passing resemblance to the books. And the Hobbit is even worse.

HOLA449

You don't come across in this post as really wanting to know the answers. There's a whiff of troll. :)

HOLA4410

It was all pretty tedious wasn't it - lots of walking, seemingly the same battle fought several times and lots of "Oh Sam!" said with loving eyes.

I suppose it means something to all those who dress up to play dungeons and dragons. Why didn't the eagles just fly the ring to the volcano in the first place and save all that walking?

Were there trolls? They might have livened it up a bit.

HOLA4411

It was all pretty tedious wasn't it - lots of walking, seemingly the same battle fought several times and lots of "Oh Sam!" said with loving eyes.

You got me all excited for a minute earlier on and thinking that someone had produced a gay p0rn-alike Hobbit trilogy, possibly a sequel to 28 Gays Later.

And then I realised you were just referring to the original gay Hobbit trilogy :(

fbxq1s.jpg

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I thought you said you'd watched it.

I did but it was so boring I kept nodding off.

Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchett, both beautiful ladies, appeared to be in the film only so that the camera could do long, slow lingering moves across their faces.

It's like the Emperor who has no clothes.

HOLA4415

I used to love those books as a lad so I know the story better than him, but have to agree with TMT about the films.

The most excruciating bit is the last 30-40 minutes where they go off to the sea together and Frodo goes off on the ship with Gandalf and the elfies. Ghastly sickly stuff, after such a long film I nearly walked out.

I quite liked Eowyn, whoever it was who played her. Can't go wrong with a spirited athletic blonde....

HOLA4416

I was miffed why someone didn't think of that undead army at the start - could've wrapped up that mordors tedious evil plans in five minutes.

I quite liked the hobbit though, better than any of the 3 main films I htought.

HOLA4417

Only one ring?

That's stretching things a little bit.

I laughed at Frankie Boyle's put down of a heckler...calls him Frodo. Pause. Then "I'm not exactly sure why I just called you Frodo, maybe it's because you look like your ring's been destroyed".

HOLA4418

I quite liked Eowyn, whoever it was who played her. Can't go wrong with a spirited athletic blonde....

What I couldn't work out was there were four hobbits all from the same village and the hobbits were pretty localized in general but one seemed to be from Mummerzet and a couple from somewhere in Scotland. I mean, is it likely they would have such wide ranging accents. The Scottish hobbits were particuarly irritating.

I think Pratchett said something along the lines that at 14 you think Lord of the Rings is the best novel ever, if you still think that at 40 you have serious issues.

Thumbs up for Eowyn (Miranda Otto)

What do you prefer, sword wielding warrior?

Eowyn-eowyn-28526243-479-525.jpg

or Oktoberfest bar maid?

taiwan_eowyn_tn.jpg

or slutty sex goddess

miranda_otto_human_nature_screencaps_DdlZZJh.sized.jpg

hmmm maybe that wasn't in the film, although perhaps it should have been?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

What I couldn't work out was there were four hobbits all from the same village and the hobbits were pretty localized in general but one seemed to be from Mummerzet and a couple from somewhere in Scotland. I mean, is it likely they would have such wide ranging accents. The Scottish hobbits were particuarly irritating.

I think Pratchett said something along the lines that at 14 you think Lord of the Rings is the best novel ever, if you still think that at 40 you have serious issues.

Thumbs up for Eowyn (Miranda Otto)

What do you prefer, sword wielding warrior?

Eowyn-eowyn-28526243-479-525.jpg

or Oktoberfest bar maid?

taiwan_eowyn_tn.jpg

or slutty sex goddess

miranda_otto_human_nature_screencaps_DdlZZJh.sized.jpg

hmmm maybe that wasn't in the film, although perhaps it should have been?

Blo*dy hell! I did a Google Images search on her name (because your third image is blocked at my work) and she is spookily like an ex of mine (who was a neurotic over-intellectual PITA), a touch slimmer but in the few pics where she has a few pounds more and reddish hair she is **** to the life, same expression, everything. No wonder I liked her in the film, hadn't clocked the resemblance at all before now.

HOLA4421

Why didn't the eagles just fly the ring to the volcano in the first place and save all that walking?

I would answer this (and your other questions)... except I don't think you really want to know the answers.

It sounds like LOTR (and possibly any Tolkien stuff) isn't your thing. Which is fine.

Nothing to see. Move along, etc. :)

HOLA4422

It is a tremendous book, I read it at 14 for the adventure and the magic, skipping the landscape descriptions. The last time I read it I mostly skipped the sorcery bit and focussed upon the imagining by Tolkien of what a post-Roman Britain / North Europe would have been like. The descriptions of the area around Bree with areas being left waste whilst people withdraw to the villages for safety and the nature descriptions of Ithlien are extremely atmospheric.

I see it as a combination of Anglo-Saxon myth, saga, and history with a bit of stuff thrown in to appeal to a younger audience. It is a work and very different from the Harry Potter books which, whilst fun, are basically Greyfriars with wands and capes and intended for teenagers.

It is not, as you say, the best novel ever. Though what is? I liked EM Forster and Thomas Hardy when I read them but whether they would reveal more as LOTR did on a second reading I doubt.

HOLA4423

It is a tremendous book, I read it at 14 for the adventure and the magic, skipping the landscape descriptions. The last time I read it I mostly skipped the sorcery bit and focussed upon the imagining by Tolkien of what a post-Roman Britain / North Europe would have been like. The descriptions of the area around Bree with areas being left waste whilst people withdraw to the villages for safety and the nature descriptions of Ithlien are extremely atmospheric.

I see it as a combination of Anglo-Saxon myth, saga, and history with a bit of stuff thrown in to appeal to a younger audience. It is a work and very different from the Harry Potter books which, whilst fun, are basically Greyfriars with wands and capes and intended for teenagers.

It is not, as you say, the best novel ever. Though what is? I liked EM Forster and Thomas Hardy when I read them but whether they would reveal more as LOTR did on a second reading I doubt.

+1

The book is extremely well crafted. Each word has been carefully chosen and placed perfectly. More than that, often it is the things left unsaid that increase the impact of the words that have been written.

It is one of the very few books that I've read more than once. Often I find myself turning to it and re-reading a favourite passage. You certainly couldn't do that with Harry Potter.

HOLA4424

+1

The book is extremely well crafted. Each word has been carefully chosen and placed perfectly. More than that, often it is the things left unsaid that increase the impact of the words that have been written.

It is one of the very few books that I've read more than once. Often I find myself turning to it and re-reading a favourite passage. You certainly couldn't do that with Harry Potter.

Who's Harry Potter?

HOLA4425

Archived