House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason

Windows Server 2012 Essentials - Backup Solutions

I need some advice on what backup solutions for a (yet to be purchased) Win Server 2012 essentials. I don't want to use the cloud, as the internet connection is not fast enough; also emails are on office365 (which works well).

Originally I was going to buy BackupExec but isn't compatible apparently!?!

Firstly, I want image backups to tape drives (we have HP LTO 3 drive that we can use) so if the place burnt down we could use a tape to restore (once I've bought another server).

Now, along with this I would want another backup to a USB device so if the server fails, I can plug the USB device into my client PC to get specific files. This is why I wanted BackupExec as it would be installed on the server, and my client PC. The motherboard on the current server broke last week, and it took 24hours until it was fixed - so the whole company was down - yet I couldn't get specific files to work on.

The solution I have been offered is to buy two servers, the second being Win 2008 to do a backup (cost £650ish). But two servers? Really?

Isn't there anything else?

yep. a DC with a member server doing live replication of files...one goes down, users can still log in, and the active directory remains on the remaining server.

Surely a tape is going to cost you more than a backup server

The tapes go home every night in my bag. Yeah, I suppose my house could burn down - but then I wouldn't give a shit about work. Also, we already have the drive + tapes.

The server we currently have is a SBS2003 R2 which is at the end of it's life now.

So, a separate backup server is the best solution?

The tapes go home every night in my bag. Yeah, I suppose my house could burn down - but then I wouldn't give a shit about work. Also, we already have the drive + tapes.

The server we currently have is a SBS2003 R2 which is at the end of it's life now.

So, a separate backup server is the best solution?

not sure about the one touch complete backup of the server, but where I am ( with SBS2003) we do USB nightly backups ( 3 disk rotation) using NTbackup, and are soon to put in a W2008 Server for file and domain replication...Ok, its for a remote site, but the principle is the same. In our case I expect the sync to take several days, but once complete, its automatic.

Tapes are notorious for failing when you need them.

Had a client who used Backup exec, very complex and didnt work when needed to restore mail boxes, due to a clash of server OS and other Anti virus issues.

There are solutions to have a mirror server as well...dont think thats built in to server 2012 though.

SBS takes about 4 hours to rebuild then all the rest of the stuff could be about 2 days in total.

A simple file server takes no time at all, not much more than a PC. Biggest downtime is getting the kit. and if its an image, getting the SAME kit and stepping.

I thought the good thing about tapes is that they are robust. I would also say go for Win 2008 R2, but that's 4 years old now, and age is the only reason we are getting rid of SBS2003.

What software for a file server would you recommend? I thought a mirrored server was very expensive. I'm looking to spend £5k max here.

You should copy it all to a floppy disk, and keep it in the cupboard, behind cheese! :blink:

yep. a DC with a member server doing live replication of files...one goes down, users can still log in, and the active directory remains on the remaining server.

Surely a tape is going to cost you more than a backup server

Wouldn't a member server just be a member of the domain and not keep a copy of active directory?

As to backupexec I'm shocked it isn't supported on Server 2012 Essentials, is there any reason for this? I'm sure there must be a product out there to do this, if not then it will be the native windows backup using usb drives

Wouldn't a member server just be a member of the domain and not keep a copy of active directory?

As to backupexec I'm shocked it isn't supported on Server 2012 Essentials, is there any reason for this? I'm sure there must be a product out there to do this, if not then it will be the native windows backup using usb drives

it used to be a BDC....I dont think they use the term any more....they keep changing the names but the stuff is still the same.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737933%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

However, to acheive file replication technically the member would be enough.

It takes a few moments to turn a member into a DC...or BDC as us old fangled guys would say.