House Price Crash Forum
sombreroloco

Is Britain Fast Turning Into A Banana Republic?

A hundred years ago, sociopaths, psychos and deluded narcissists got locked up in asylums for the benefit of society as a whole.

These days we promote them to corporate board rooms.

I hope this answers your question.

It is shit here but look at other countries; most are even shittier and are more corrupt.

I think it is a human thing. We want our selves and our own families to be ahead, even at the expense of others.

At least we are all well fed and there isn't much violence, yet.

Except in its ability to grow and produce its own bananas.

The issue is usually portrayed as something that has an influence on doing dealings and business overseas but it's not mentioned for within the UK.

For example in terms of people being ripped off by the UK's banana republic financial and banking sectors with their pensions and investments and so on. Likely there are examples outside of those sectors as well.

Edited by billybong

It's not the right expression. "Banana Republic" implies your main and only source of income is from one product (generally in agriculture).

Now we still do earn a lot of money in various fields eg banking&finance, entertainment, educational services, tourism/shopping etc., even if you think the economy is unbalanced.

For the top, maybe.

For the rest of us its a near totalitarian state that operates with disturbing efficiency. Want to build a house on YOUR land. No, sorry, cant be done. Want to speak your mind, Nope, sorry, might offend someone. Want to opt out of the various coercive state services and taxes. Out of the question.

No, if it was corrupt, at least a little bribe to the police and you might be able to buy some freedom. Our police and authorities are such unquestioning drones we dont have that luxury.

For the top, maybe.

For the rest of us its a near totalitarian state that operates with disturbing efficiency. Want to build a house on YOUR land. No, sorry, cant be done. Want to speak your mind, Nope, sorry, might offend someone. Want to opt out of the various coercive state services and taxes. Out of the question.

No, if it was corrupt, at least a little bribe to the police and you might be able to buy some freedom. Our police and authorities are such unquestioning drones we dont have that luxury.

Someone on this board came up with the expression "a holding camp" and I don't think they were far wrong.

That they don't allow building your own house on your own land is another facet reflecting the economic crisis that the UK has been suffering for decades now.

Restricting building except for the (builder) cronies and trying to keep house prices high is their only solution to an economy staggering along under the weight of their ineptitude.

Edited by billybong

It's not the right expression. "Banana Republic" implies your main and only source of income is from one product (generally in agriculture).

Now we still do earn a lot of money in various fields eg banking&finance, entertainment, educational services, tourism/shopping etc., even if you think the economy is unbalanced.

The UK's main source of income is Ponzi financing. The sundry other things we do are nurtured and sustained by the bubble of phantom equity in the housing market. As it collapses and unwinds so too will they.

I can't locate it now on a google but, I've read a, sort of future market trends type, report for a German car manufacturer where they discuss the need to spec cars with more robust suspension for new markets where infrastructure is underdeveloped and also declining first world economies where infrastructure is decaying such as Great Britain - which I though was a fascinating insight into how other countries are perceiving this one and planning for the future. :lol: all a bit embarrassing really.

I can't locate it now on a google but, I've read a, sort of future market trends type, report for a German car manufacturer where they discuss the need to spec cars with more robust suspension for new markets where infrastructure is underdeveloped and also declining first world economies where infrastructure is decaying such as Great Britain - which I though was a fascinating insight into how other countries are perceiving this one and planning for the future. :lol: all a bit embarrassing really.

The silly alloy wheels with rubber band tyres will have to go! :o

Is Britain a banana republic? Try this simple test...you're pulled over by the police while driving.

Do you apologise and hope for the best, or hand over $20 to fix the problem?

I spent thirty years travelling and working in hell holes like Kazakhstan, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, China, Russia, and Mexico. Britain's got plenty of problems, including a small (by international standards) measure of corruption, but the difference between "over here" and "over there" is still a massive gulf.

Edited by silver surfer