House Price Crash Forum
Ash4781

House Building Statistics

Whats slightly worrying to me is that the only kind of developments that get permission near me are all very expensive "executive" type houses, partly because no one wants cheap housing near them, but also the cost of the land dictates this.

Whats slightly worrying to me is that the only kind of developments that get permission near me are all very expensive "executive" type houses, partly because no one wants cheap housing near them, but also the cost of the land dictates this.

well that is true but usually down to the NIMBY`s

.......for example (and attempting to protect the innocent by not naming names)......

I used to live close to a field which clearly was a very sensible building plot (it was some distance from the nearest farm and surrounded by existing housing)

the owner tried for many years to get PP - the problem in getting it was a local councillor who lived opposite this field

(can you tell how this one is going yet?)

everything was tried by the council to stop this, over 12 years and 2 or 3 appeals later (the owner having gone bust twice as well) the council stated that low cost housing was required and this would be all they would allow, the guy called their bluff and got permission for 350 low costers (on a less than 2 acre site!)

Councillor then freaked (remember they still live opposite) much toing and throwing later 5 were eventually built on a site that was crammed with 4 and 5 bed detached

FOI requests repeatedly failed to determine how much the council spent to eventually end up with a site that was built pretty much the same as the original application 12 years earlier

FOI requests repeatedly failed to determine how much the council spent to eventually end up with a site that was built pretty much the same as the original application 12 years earlier

That actually kind of happened to my parents in the 80's and Kettering Borough Council. Had 1.5 acres and just wanted a 'granny annexe' over an existing garage block for frail elderly relatives and turned down.

Told by KBC "we will never allow anything to be built here, outstanding natural beauty, outside building line, sewage system can't cope blah blah (even though they were on sceptic tanks)."

My parents themselves were knocking on a bit and ill health themselves and so couldn't keep the land up, and sold. A shill buys on behalf of local builder who is on local council.

A few years later and its a small estate of executive houses.

Edited by aSecureTenant

There seem to be plenty of homes in the UK as far as I can tell. Just that thanks to easy credit, some people have more than they need.

I know we're not entirely reprasentative here, but has anyone, ever, had a problem finding somewhere to live in the UK? It's paying for them that's the problem. Plenty of property seems to exist.

The UK needs to be building at least 100k homes a year to begin addressing the housing crisis. Not good.

The first graph is quarterly, we are building over 100,00 per year. In England. Add 5~10% for the other regions of the UK.

Edited by BigPig

The UK needs to be building at least 100k homes a year to begin addressing the housing crisis. Not good.

We need a lot more than that.

To be fair it's not just us. French housing construction has also plummeted: to a paltry 340,000

To be fair it's not just us. French housing construction has also plummeted: to a paltry 340,000

Got into a Twitter squabble this morning with Tory MP Douglas Carswell and basically the hive mindset is "lower the price, supply dries up, always"

OK to be fair this was referring to rents (and rent controls) but they actually think higher house prices will increase supply. They may be right but I just don't know who is going to be able to afford them.

Of course if you raise the price, then demand dries up! :lol:

BTW if wonderpup is about, we may have an admission that the CPS Think Tank believe Help To Buy is "hair brained."

Edited by aSecureTenant

Got into a Twitter squabble this morning with Tory MP Douglas Carswell and basically the hive mindset is "lower the price, supply dries up, always"

OK to be fair this was referring to rents (and rent controls) but they actually think higher house prices will increase supply. They may be right but I just don't know who is going to be able to afford them.

BTW if wonderpup is about, we may have an admission that the CPS Think Tank believe Help To Buy is "hair brained."

He's lying.

This from the favourite charts thread...

Help to Buy (especially the core part of it that will guarantee mortgages, as opposed to the new-build half) is designed to increase housing demand, not supply. Now, in an ideal world, this would encourage homebuilders to construct more houses. The problem is that this dynamic simply doesn’t exist in the UK. According to research from the OECD, Britain’s housing market is the least responsive in the world to any increase in demand (or, to put it in economese, it is extremely inelastic). So even if you did believe that demand creates its own supply, this is unlikely in the UK.

347guc2.jpg

Supply from zombie house builders dries up he means.

God forbid anyone else is allowed in on the act. Self builders and small developers allowed PP land at affordable prices. I thought Carswell was one of the change how money Works brigade? Obviously not.

Supply from zombie house builders dries up he means.

God forbid anyone else is allowed in on the act. Self builders and small developers allowed PP land at affordable prices. I thought Carswell was one of the change how money Works brigade? Obviously not.

This is the crux of the issue. What SHOULD happen is all the shoebox pushers like barratt SHOULD see their income drop. No one makes money on selling nothing. They either reduce their prices, or if as is likely, they overpaid for land, they go bankrupt, and responsible smaller builders with cash reserves buy up the land assets during liquidation for what they are worth.

Of course, this would challenge the oligopoly of the tory donating large builders, so that cant happen.

How very 'free market' of the 'libertarian' Carswell to prevent this. Just like labour, they always have to find a way to get 'government to help'

So either:

1) The French think that they need 3.5 million new houses per deacade, presumably for an anticipated population increase of between 2 and 4 times that. I believe that, even with immigration, the French population is projected to be fairly stable.

2) A lot of them are destined to be second homes. Possibly plausible, there is a quite high rate of holiday home ownership. If you go to the seaside or the ski resorts out of season, they are ghosttowns. or:

3) Now that Spain, the Netherlands and the PIIGS's housing bubbles are burstingt, the ridiculous easy credit policies of the World Central Bankers cartel is infecting the formerly sane other countries. It also seems to be taking off in Germany now.

I know which I suspect. Stop this house building madness. It's what has got us into this problem in the first place. Building more houses does not make them cheaper.

So either:

1) The French think that they need 3.5 million new houses per deacade, presumably for an anticipated population increase of between 2 and 4 times that. I believe that, even with immigration, the French population is projected to be fairly stable.

It's not all new housing. Houses are demolished too (which makes our 100,000 even more pathetic). At that rate they refresh their housing stock about once a century. Doesn't seem excessive to me.

I know which I suspect. Stop this house building madness. It's what has got us into this problem in the first place. Building more houses does not make them cheaper.

Other things being equal of course it does. Why have US / Ireland / Spain prices returned to planet earth whilst ours haven't?

Other things being equal of course it does. Why have US / Ireland / Spain prices returned to planet earth whilst ours haven't?

Because the credit supply dried up. And we had QE. Why did prices in Spain get so high despite the fact that they were building ten times what was actually required. Why haven't they now fallen to zero due to the massive oversupply. Why have prices in the US started rising, despite the continuing oversupply. Why weren't the prices falling (further) in East Germany, where the massive oversupply resulted in a policy of actively knocking them down, until now when we have exactly the same conditions and population, and yet we have a boom building up (admittedly less strong in most of East German, but certainly present in Berlin, Leipzig and Dresden) ????????

The various interests have been saying the whole of my adult life, since the beginning of the eighties at least, that we need to build more homes, and yet somehow there never seems to be an actual shortage. Occasionally in fact, there are periods of oversupply.

(Lodon is a bit different, for most of that time the market has been pretty "tight" but the same is true of Paris, despit all those homes the French are building)

Edited by BigPig

He's lying.

This from the favourite charts thread...

Help to Buy (especially the core part of it that will guarantee mortgages, as opposed to the new-build half) is designed to increase housing demand, not supply. Now, in an ideal world, this would encourage homebuilders to construct more houses. The problem is that this dynamic simply doesn’t exist in the UK. According to research from the OECD, Britain’s housing market is the least responsive in the world to any increase in demand (or, to put it in economese, it is extremely inelastic). So even if you did believe that demand creates its own supply, this is unlikely in the UK.

347guc2.jpg

+ 1

And here is the consequence of our planning blockage:

Percapita.gif

Source: http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/how-big-is-a-house