House Price Crash Forum

Priced Out Of Padstow

HOLA441

Priced out of Padstow

The area also exemplifies one of the most pressing problems facing rural Britain – a shortage of homes for local people, exacerbated by wealthy outsiders buying second homes.
David Cameron and his family, who arrive this week after travelling to Portugal and Scotland earlier in the summer, will stay with George Hollingbery, the Conservative MP for Meon Valley, Hampshire, who recently bought his third property in the area.

A few encouraging comments below the line.

HOLA442

Why can't the rich just stay in nice guest houses and hotels, which would help the local economy?

Why the need for a proberdee that merely takes a home out of circulation? There's no logical or moral reason that these second homes shouldn't be regulated and taxed out of existence.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA443
HOLA444

Padstow is a tiny pimple of a problem.

The huge running sore are the millions priced out of the entire south-east.

Agreed.

One poster lists some other places they know of:

foxinwinter 17 August 2013 2:07pm

This is also true of Dartmouth, Salcombe, Sidmouth, Budleigh Salterton, Lympstone, Falmouth, Port Isaac, Port Gaverne, St Ives, Wembury, Newton Ferrers, Kingsand, Cawsand, St Germans, Shaldon, Branscombe, Polperro, Mevagissey, Fowey, Perranporth, Mousehole. You will never get legislation against 2nd/3rd homes when all the legislators have one (or two, or three)....

HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

And yet, I guarantee that the same people complaining about the lack of housing and Rick Stein's "empire" are the very same people opposed to any kind of planning reform and moaning about the lack of jobs in the area. They want to have their cake and eat it.

HOLA446

And yet, I guarantee that the same people complaining about the lack of housing and Rick Stein's "empire" are the very same people opposed to any kind of planning reform and moaning about the lack of jobs in the area. They want to have their cake and eat it.

Apart from the fact that IMO Ricks Stein's F&C are not as good as those from either of the establishments on the quay in terms of portion size or what you expect for F&C.

That aside, according to the article Rick Stiein employs 350 people across his enterprises that cater for those who like to brag that they "ate at Rick Stein's" or "we're going to eat at Rick Steins". So what he does is good, although most of the jobs will be only seasonal. I also expect his empire will be the first of the F&C establishments to decline when the HPC occurs. Rick Stein and the other celebrity chefs are symptomatic of easy credit.

What is very bad is the blight of second home ownership. I have no respect for people who own second homes I am afraid; they have destroyed communities and have no interest in the area, and they are the biggest of the nimbys too. There would be many more employed in the local area if locals owned the houses and ran B&B, as they did many years before. Of course a B&B holiday isn't good enough for many, for some reason.

And yes, it was locals that sold out for the money thrown at them for their properties.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA447
HOLA448

....so they start to price out the south-west...........the ripple effect at work......people following the money. ;)

Southeast: where every banker wants to own a house to live for work

Southwest: where every banker who lives in the southeast wants to own another house for their holiday.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Not a shock is it really, 20 years ago I worked with a guy (45 at the time) who from st Ives and he and his 7 siblings had all moved away because of lack of work/high housing costs. I subsequently lived there(rented) and prices where out of my reach and I worked away ! Anywhere nice around the world has a premium attached to living there get used to it- youre never going to get a house whilst earning as a holiday camp rep or surf instructor !

HOLA4411

Not a shock is it really, 20 years ago I worked with a guy (45 at the time) who from st Ives and he and his 7 siblings had all moved away because of lack of work/high housing costs. I subsequently lived there(rented) and prices where out of my reach and I worked away ! Anywhere nice around the world has a premium attached to living there get used to it- youre never going to get a house whilst earning as a holiday camp rep or surf instructor !

There is no reason why the houses cannot be owned by local people running B&Bs for those who want to holiday in the area - small businesses offering a good service and generating local income.

Needing to own a second house to spend a couple of weeks and the odd weekend in a nice area is plain selfish greed IMO and, if the accommodation is rented as a holiday let while the second home owner is not there - and that is somehow used as moral justification that the property is occupied - bear in mind that the rental income just helps the second home owner afford their economic model of greed so that they can enjoy those cheap surfing lessons, and take advantage of seasonal, zero hours contracts for restaurant and take-away staff. I have no respect for people who live in such a bubble.

As I said before, it was locals that sold up for high prices, however.

For both sides, you reap what you sow

Still, I suppose if everyone gets what they want it all works out alright, right ? The UK must be a nirvana-like place to live.

Alternatively, let's build - oh hang on, that might influence the second-home owners property value or view - not such a nice place to holiday.

Edited by LiveinHope