House Price Crash Forum

Greedy National Fund And 1928 Donation

pjw

HOLA441

Someone left money to the nation in 1928, a sum of money now worth £350m - but stipulated that the money be held in trust until the government paid off the National Debt.

The National Fund - one of those "charities" that provide a good living to their own staff - has been trying for years to overturn the stipulation in court and get their hands on the money. See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396084/Anonymous-bequest-nation-worth-350-million-touched-1928.html?ico=home^headlines

As far as I am concerned, the money should be left as is until the National Debt is paid off.

HOLA442
HOLA443

As far as I am concerned, the money should be left as is until the National Debt is paid off.

That's never going to happen.

What your saying is the money should be kept to fund the lifestyles of the fund managers forever.

Doesn't sound like what the original benefactor wanted.

HOLA444

Someone left money to the nation in 1928, a sum of money now worth £350m - but stipulated that the money be held in trust until the government paid off the National Debt.

The National Fund - one of those "charities" that provide a good living to their own staff - has been trying for years to overturn the stipulation in court and get their hands on the money. See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396084/Anonymous-bequest-nation-worth-350-million-touched-1928.html?ico=home^headlines

They should use it to educate the public on the merits of having a balanced budget and not leaving a lot for debt for the next generation to pay off.

Dividend from that fund would out spend all UK political parties?

Archived