House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
honkydonkey

Interesting Real Life Account Of Greece

Living in a rural/coastal area, I can keep many expenses under control, especially food and leisure costs. We grow vegetables all year round, we don't cook meat more than twice a week, we stock up on high-quality discounted food. This is readily available for all residents in my locality; even apartment residents can grow potted gardens, and supermarkets offer lots of cheap food offers. Living in such a beautiful part of Europe/the world, you do not need to go far to have a good time. Nor do you need to spend so much money to do this. Keeping cool in summer usually involves keeping a door and window open; most Cretans have switched to burning wood in winter, in wood-fired heaters in which a meal can also be cooked. Schooling is hardly ever private, there are no school uniforms and people are using alternative methods for keeping their kids in extra-curricular activities. Life can be lived very frugally in Crete - but only if you want to do this.

mverivaki 6

I am 54 year old,I used to work as a salesman in Attica dep store in Athens,I lost my job,the first year I survived on unemployment benefit,also my mothers small pension helped us to have something to eat,next year the unemployment benefit finished,I got a another year on 200 euros a month benefit also my mother's pension kept helping us both.

Third year no benefit at all,neither any assistance from the goverment,my mother dided from Parkinson's disease,poor hospital treatment and lack of everything.

Last two years I live on charity of relatives and friends,I left home,could not pay the taxes and the electricity and water bills,now I am staying with friends helping them with anything they need for exchange in accommodation and food.

There is no assistance to all people in my situation,if you are lucky you survive or else you are sleeping in the streets,Samaras is talking of a success story but the only success story is that he and all of them now in govermrnt created this hell for 30 years and now they want to save us.

Can you ever imagine a killer who wants to save the victim?That's Samaras,Venizelos and the rest of them.

No hope for a job,they reduce slaries by 40% and increase taxes by another 40%,people should react and send them all to court for high treason.

Don't listen to what they say,people are suffering and they getting paid 8000 a month plus extras in order to sell the country to Germans.

No mention of any savings he'd built up during the good times.

Do people working in department stores earn enough to save?

No, but in good strong communities everyone should help each other out......in most families there are the more fortunate and the less fortunate, the ones that have the most can help out those with the least.....after all how did the ones with the most get the most? did they work harder for it? ;)

In my personal anecdotal experience, yes.

How about those born into secure affluence....those who do not work harder earning it, but can quite easily work harder spending it......what about those who did nothing much apart from borrowing money to allow their properties make them rich....what about those who happen to work close to the supply of money, the top of the triangle, those that have the first pickings from the top of the cone before the bottom of the hard working trickle down can grab their few drippings. ;)

In my personal anecdotal experience, yes.

My personal experience is the opposite. Those I know who have done well for themselves usually have greater ability. I think most people work roughly as hard as each other and given the opportunity will maximise the ability they've been born with, obviously with extremes at either end.

My personal experience is the opposite. Those I know who have done well for themselves usually have greater ability. I think most people work roughly as hard as each other and given the opportunity will maximise the ability they've been born with, obviously with extremes at either end.

I do love the occasional quotes on these forums from people who have managed to save 100k or whatever living rent free in their parents London home commutable top will paid jobs, not quite realizing that the same enriching opportunities neither apply to you if your family is on Aberystwyth nor if you do not get on with them

Additionally the statistics bare out that the uk has poor social mobility

My guess is that you have a powerful London/se centric view but please feel free to correct me

Edited by Si1

I do love the occasional quotes on these forums from people who have managed to save 100k or whatever living rent free in their parents London home commutable top will paid jobs, not quite realizing that the same enriching opportunities neither apply to you if your family is on Aberystwyth nor if you do not get on with them

Additionally the statistics bare out that the uk has poor social mobility

My guess is that you have a powerful London/se centric view but please feel free to correct me

I will correct you, then, as you seem to have totally misinterpreted my post. I was born and still live in a poor northern industrial town although I would say all my family are averagely middle class. I wasn't talking about my own situation. I have never had a high paying or high status job but I don't blame that on lack of opportunity, just lack of ability.

EDIT: actually I think you may have misread my post in order to get it so wrong, because I was talking about opportunity;

I think most people work roughly as hard as each other and given the opportunity will maximise the ability they've been born with
Edited by oldsport

I will correct you, then, as you seem to have totally misinterpreted my post. I was born and still live in a poor northern industrial town although I would say all my family are averagely middle class. I wasn't talking about my own situation. I have never had a high paying or high status job but I don't blame that on lack of opportunity, just lack of ability.

EDIT: actually I think you may have misread my post in order to get it so wrong, because I was talking about opportunity;

Ah well, my own experience (northern working class) makes me beg to differ

However that's no reason to disrespect your opinion given your position

Fair play