House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Number Of Romanians And Bulgarians Working In Uk Jumps By Over 25% In Three Months

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/number-of-romanians-and-bulgarians-working-in-uk-jumps-by-over-25-in-three-months-8762696.html

The number of Romanian and Bulgarian migrants working in the UK has increased by more than a quarter in three months, according to newly released official figures.

The Office for National Statistics said that between April and June this year141,000 were in employment, which was an increase of almost 26 per cent on the 112,000 working in the previous three months.

This also demonstrates a 35 per cent increase from the same period last year.

Did Carney define what he meant with the 7% unemployed figures did he mean UK nationals or do we just keep "importing" labour and people to increase the population enough so the figure unemployed actually declines in percentage terms but the numbers unemployed stay the same?

Still I'm sure they aren't all here making use of our very generous welfare work payments to boost incomes further in the low paid jobs they are undoubtedly doing.

Still I'm sure they aren't all here making use of our very generous welfare work payments to boost incomes further in the low paid jobs they are undoubtedly doing.

I doubt many of them have come here to work. :angry:

Nevertheless the ONS statistics say they are in work. ;)

Ah yes, the old "self-employed Big Issue seller" type of work, the one where you get all those lovely UK state benefits! :lol:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/number-of-romanians-and-bulgarians-working-in-uk-jumps-by-over-25-in-three-months-8762696.html

Did Carney define what he meant with the 7% unemployed figures did he mean UK nationals or do we just keep "importing" labour and people to increase the population enough so the figure unemployed actually declines in percentage terms but the numbers unemployed stay the same?

Self employed big issue sellers... get access to benefits

Still, mustn't say anything because that would be "wacist, innit?" ;)

Your automatic assumption that they're all here to become Big Issue sellers is certainly pretty xenophobic.

Your automatic assumption that they're all here to become Big Issue sellers is certainly pretty xenophobic.

Indeed many become pickpockets or pea-in-one-of-three-cups scammers.

Bloody racists eh?

Indeed many become pickpockets or pea-in-one-of-three-cups scammers.

Bloody racists eh?

Yup.

I do actually know a Bulgarian who works as a software developer. He's been here a few years though, and is now thinking of heading back home to start his own company.

Is it xenophobic to point out that they have a monopoly on the North Circular squeegee merchant circuit?

Edited by thecrashingisles

Is it xenophobic to point out that they have a monopoly on the North Circular squeegee merchant circuit?

Not at all, if that is the case.

Still, mustn't say anything because that would be "wacist, innit?" ;)

I think it is fairly likely that you are a racist and a biggot. Perhaps they are on the dole, but unlikely because their visa will clearly state that they have no entitlement to state benefits.

More likely they are working in the fields picking produce that Brits are too proud and lazy to do themselves.

Not if you can tell your East Europeans apart.

More likely they are working in the fields picking produce that Brits are too proud and lazy to do themselves.

Rascist! :rolleyes:

Fact is British employers prefer to employ East Europeans. Who would employ a Brit now given all the propaganda about how feckless and lazy they are?

Yet despite all our feckless and lazy traits we managed to run a quarter of the world and for a small island still punch above our weight as an economic and military power.

Just saying like.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Rascist! :rolleyes:

Fact is British employers prefer to employ East Europeans. Who would employ a Brit now given all the propaganda about how feckless and lazy they are?

Yet despite all our feckless and lazy traits we managed to run a quarter of the world and for a small island still punch above our weight as an economic and military power.

Just saying like.

So did the Romans, and they never worked in their own fields.

Walk through London and most big issue sellers are clearly Romanian or from that area.

I think it is fairly likely that you are a racist and a biggot. Perhaps they are on the dole, but unlikely because their visa will clearly state that they have no entitlement to state benefits.

Or, due to the high cost of living, it simply makes more sense for them to claim benefits instead?

Walk through London and most big issue sellers are clearly Romanian or from that area.

I live in London and disagree with your observation.

Much seasonal work is done like this as you say, a few years ago I think there was a lot of media attention given to the fact that the strawberry crop was under threat due to a lack of labour. I don't recall the offered wages rising to help recruitment though.(might be wrong about that)

It's a bit of a cheap shot to talk about laziness and pride though. Many of these jobs are simply too badly paid to work on anything other than a 'working holiday' basis from another country where costs are lower. Same happens in IT with intra-company transfers. Temporary period slumming it allows much more possibilities back home.

Most young people I come across are smart, professional and polite.

I work with some Romanians, software developers. Pretty girls, smart blokes, well-educated and good at their jobs.

However from what they tell me Romania is a completely divided society, the reasonably civilised majority, albeit still pretty corrupt in administration, and then there are the Roma, a significant minority.

The Roma are the reason that Romania and Bulgaria should never have been allowed into the EU.

This would have upset the majority but would have provided them with some motivation to try and sort out the problem, as it is they are laughing their heads off as the problem has been passed on to the rest of Europe.

The Roma areas in Romania are getting richer now, I'm told, funded by Europe-wide begging rings(here they have camps in France and cross the border into Geneva/Lausanne every day), the benefits system in any countries dumb enough to pay them will simply be another opportunity.

Their culture is designed to parasitise, that kind of thing can't be changed overnight. Now they have more hosts.

More likely the Brits they are working in the fields picking produce that Romanians Brits are too proud and lazy to do themselves.

My version is blatantly racist, and all I've done is invert the order of the protagonists... so, question is: is your version also blatantly racist?

I live in London and disagree with your observation.

Me too. Sadly there seem to be more black Big Issue sellers around, maybe as a result of this last recession.

I've met a few Bulgarians and Rumanians here over the last couple of years. Generally they are either studying (and working part-time) or working on the black - seems to be a large black economy all over London from all nationalities. But there are also shop owners - go to Cricklewood and you can see a few.

I've seen the reports on the Roma family down marble Arch, but they are not indicative of the overall Rumanian population it seems. I worked in Madrid a few years back, when over a quarter of a million Rumanians settled in the city. Again there were a couple of pickpocket gangs that also turned up, but the overwhelming majority of that population settled down to work and behave in a law abiding way.

There really is no need for this scare-mongering. You're going to get far more damage from the banks, the politicians and the establishment.