House Price Crash Forum
dubsie

Is Christmas Going To Happen This Year

Things looked as if they were picking up earlier this month but as the month is running out so are my shoppers. It's not just my business, lots of other companies in the retail trade are also experiencing the same thing.

Will things improve? AND if not what will happen?

Will things improve?

I doubt it. My local shops actually put xmas decorations up in the last week of October. One shop is even playing christmas music. Poor shop assistants. It's the first time i've seen fireworks sold under xmas decorations. As if putting up a few flashing lights will change anything!

I think we had this borrowed the money for xmas 2005 in xmas 2004. We'll have to have xmas 2006 now instead - but whoops - people just can't borrow any more.

A lot of my friends are talking about "not going mad this year" and setting limits on the cost of presents for their families.

AND if not what will happen?

Surely you are best placed to tell us that?

Come on - what would happen for you? How much do you depend on xmas?

What proportion of your annual sales are in December?

On the other hand, this story seems to pop up in the news in the first week of December every year, but sales seem to pick up. Perhaps people are just leaving it later now because shops are open longer. I did my xmas shopping after the 20th Dec last year.

But is this year going to be different ? Or is recession finally here?

Things looked as if they were picking up earlier this month but as the month is running out so are my shoppers. It's not just my business, lots of other companies in the retail trade are also experiencing the same thing.

That's the £1.2 trillion question.

Bulls, I think, suggest all will be well with happy festive shoppers, having saved the past few months, descending upon retail outlets like starving locusts.

Bears well, look at fundamentals and sigh.

You though are at the "sharp end" and your accounts will tell the true story.

It's a sort of "twilight zone" at the moment is it not?

Will the light shine or will it get darker?

I will be having a good xmas, just like i do every year, i dont care to much for the xmas spirit or any of that cr*p(imho), I will have time off work and i dont need any little toy to make me happy, ive already agreed with my friends and family that it will be a "nik-knack" year, i usually buy my friends cool stuff mp3 players playstation stuff etc but its all for a fiver this year :P

I actually think xmas retail sales will be generally ok, lots of folk have been knuckling down in preperation, though sales will be good profits will still be way down -- me thinks 2006 will be the year of retail consolidation.

More european manufactures (all industries) going out of business more cheap goods from China.

I actually think xmas retail sales will be generally ok, lots of folk have been knuckling down in preperation, though sales will be good profits will still be way down -- me thinks 2006 will be the year of retail consolidation.

More european manufactures (all industries) going out of business more cheap goods from China.

With the £ falling they won't stay that cheap for much longer.

I doubt it. My local shops actually put xmas decorations up in the last week of October. One shop is even playing christmas music. Poor shop assistants. It's the first time i've seen fireworks sold under xmas decorations. As if putting up a few flashing lights will change anything!

I think we had this borrowed the money for xmas 2005 in xmas 2004. We'll have to have xmas 2006 now instead - but whoops - people just can't borrow any more.

A lot of my friends are talking about "not going mad this year" and setting limits on the cost of presents for their families.

Surely you are best placed to tell us that?

Come on - what would happen for you? How much do you depend on xmas?

What proportion of your annual sales are in December?

On the other hand, this story seems to pop up in the news in the first week of December every year, but sales seem to pick up. Perhaps people are just leaving it later now because shops are open longer. I did my xmas shopping after the 20th Dec last year.

But is this year going to be different ? Or is recession finally here?

Christmas accounts for about 20% of our annual turnover, i'm not sure it would kill is off as we have plenty of reserves but it will certainly make me think twice about setting up a new venture.

Wait for the Easter retail bounce! ;)

Guest Bart of Darkness

Most people are prepared to stretch themselves quite a bit financially at Xmas and take the financial consequences in the New Year. They may still be prepared to do so this year, though the general trend in retail sales in 2005 would seem to indicate a lower key Christmas for many, although little Timmy will no doubt still be getting his PlayGameBox 64 or whatever.

Oh, little Bank Americard

You bring me Christmas Cheer

Without your clout

I have no doubt

No gifts I'd give this year.

Your credit line allows me

To run up bills quite large

And when I'm through

Exhausting you

I'll use my Master Charge.

(Same tune, sung in late February)

Oh, little Bank Americard

You bring me discontent

I calculate

Your int'rest rate

Is over twelve percent.

Each month, your cry for payments

My letter-box bombards;

I'm one more sap

Caught in your trap

Next year I'll just send cards.

Mad Magazine, date unknown.

MY PREDICTION FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS IS THAT IN DECEMBER (POSS LATE NOV) RETAIL WILL FLY AGAIN.

No pie - charts, no grapghs, no academic theories, just my gut and common sense.

I 100% guarantee I will be proved right.

Love graphless.

MY PREDICTION FOR THE LAST FEW MONTHS IS THAT IN DECEMBER (POSS LATE NOV) RETAIL WILL FLY AGAIN.

No pie - charts, no grapghs, no academic theories, just my gut and common sense.

Love graphless.

Yet another Hit & Run meaningless, without substance Troll post Dogbollox?

I see the total absence of common sense yet again in your worthless economic analysis.

Love graphless.

What other bold predictions are you making? That the sun will come up tomorrow morning?

What you've made there isn't a prediction. What does "fly" mean? Why not make an actual numerical prediction. How will number of sales compare to last year? How will money taken compare? (Remember, getting volume up by slashing prices to the bone is not the sign of a recovery, it can be the sign of a fighting retreat). Of course there will be people going out to do Christmas shopping. That's not exactly a prediction though is it.

Let's hear some real predictions or let's hear a bit less of your blabbering.

Morning from Exeter,

Dubsie is correct and Live in Hope and Dogbox are incorrect. For people who read my postings yesterday under the thread Sentimental change article, have a look at it on the next page, and know why things are crap on the high street.

One large shop owner in Exeter said "This Christmas is going to be a sock and hankey one just like 92". His words to Mrs CASHKING who filled in his VAT return for the last quarter and bizzarly is in a repayment situation.

One large shop owner in Exeter said "This Christmas is going to be a sock and hankey one just like 92". His words to Mrs CASHKING who filled in his VAT return for the last quarter and bizzarly is in a repayment situation.

ouch! - and we all know what that means, don't we children?

no? - well assuming the guy mentioned is a normal sort of retailer, he must have bought more in the last quarter than what he sold.

granted there may be an element of stock building but the ancedote stands nonetheless.

Hello Gasket37

To answer your question. This guy would usually make, as he has being doing over the last four years around £10000 profit per month. Problem is in anticipation of Christmas bought lots of stock and now no buyers. Problem is in retail, especially clothes/footware is ordering very far in advance(6 months) in anticipation of Christmas. This year its going to be as bad as its ever been.

Be patient its coming. Again read my thread from yesterday(Sentimental Change Article) if you haven't done already.

Hi Dubsie.

Yeah my business has really suffered this Autumn when as has been the case over the last three years just the two months of October and November provide 35-40% of my whole years turnover. Well this year its 50% down.

Still next year i will pull the plug in advertising with the six national magazins(all home/builder/renovation) live with sponsered links on Google and put the company into form of hibination with minimul overheads.

"Still next year i will pull the plug in advertising with the six national magazins(all home/builder/renovation) live with sponsered links on Google and put the company into form of hibination with minimul overheads."

Hello Cashking. You must be the reason why all my mags are slimmer this month HBR, SBI, SBR and GD and the front covers aren't screaming "Our house worth £500k, bult for only £2.50" anymore either. Hope it all pans out okay for you.

My business (not core retail) is now 19% down YOY (but don't forget there were 2 Easters last year and none this <_< ). I think Christmas is going to be slower as the level of advance orders is over 50% down.

I recieved junk mail a few days ago from an EA

Their best line was "The market IS moving again" The capitals just emphasise the desperation here

local EA' I know the geezer that runs it as he lives in the same street

I asked him if the market IS moving again why do you spend money advertising? he replied "we do this every year in Nov Dec its a slow time for EA's

I thought maybe there's an element of thruth in that, but I cant remember a local EA mailshot at all EVER ;)

I think the Debenhams sale (extended for another day- at least <_< ) has kick started the shopping frenzy around here as my local shopping centre looked like a Saturday afternoon, yesterday. Queues to get into the carparks too.