House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rave

Re-Stringing A Rotary Clothes Airer

This is possibly going to be self-defeating tight-waddedness, but what the hell, I am tight and have plenty of time on my hands. The metal and plastic bits of our garden four-armed rotary clothes airer are in perfectly serviceable condition, but after years of UV exposure etc. the string is starting to disintegrate and has broken in several places. Rather than cough up for a whole new one I was thinking of trying to re-string it. Anyone tried this? Any recommendations for what cord to buy, and as to how much I'll need for a large-ish 4 arm airer? I thought I'd ask before doing too much shopping around but an initial google search threw this up:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190851009680

2x20 metres of that for 7 quid delivered looks like it might do the job? I had a quick look in the 99p shop but they didn't have anything suitable; I've not tried poundland yet.

Thoughts/advice/pisstaking welcome! :)

Funny you should say that, I was trying to do it yesterday......spooky. ;)

edit: the plastic cord will continue to stretch by the weight of the clothing so pulling it taught for a while helps, if it has to be replaced completely maybe take a few photos before removing and replacing. :unsure:

Funny you should say that, I was trying to do it yesterday......spooky. ;)

Spooky indeed ;) . Did you succeed?

edit: the plastic cord will continue to stretch by the weight of the clothing so pulling it taught for a while helps, if it has to be replaced completely maybe take a few photos before removing and replacing. :unsure:

Yes good idea, I'll also mark the positions of where it's knotted over the arm rather than just threaded through it.

Questions like this make me doubt there are footprints on the moon. :D

Cheeky :P . It's not so much that I think it won't be possible, but there's more to it than meets the eye- I doubt you'd be able to get sufficient tension by just putting it up and running the cord through it- but relaxing the angle of the arms just a little bit will be easier said than done. Plus if I buy the wrong cord and it isn't strong enough, or it disintigrates within a year, that will get on my wick.

Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance! ;)

Dunno, but I'll find out. Cheers!

I bought a reel of garden strimmer line in there last week for a fraction of what the likes of B&Q, Homebase, etc, sell it for. I think I saw the stuff you need in there, although I could be making it all up.

Guest eight

I bought a reel of garden strimmer line in there last week for a fraction of what the likes of B&Q, Homebase, etc, sell it for. I think I saw the stuff you need in there, although I could be making it all up.

You do know it's common or riverbank fishing line, yes?

I am all in favour of thrift! We have strange passtimes here!

Guest eight

What size fish do you go after on the riverbank ? My strimmer line is at least 1/8" thick, and box section.

I know more about strimmers than I do about fishing. But I do know that it was originally sourced from these people.

What size fish do you go after on the riverbank ? My strimmer line is at least 1/8" thick, and box section.

Ditto.

No doubt it comes from the same place as fishing line but mine is thicker than anything I have used for fishing.

Wilkinsons do a very thin one which, admittedly, looks like fishing line but it doesn't look as if it would last 2 minutes. It comes in different gauges and, apart from the first, all are fatter and heavier than any fishing line I have used.

Anyhow, it was only £2.25 in Wilkinsons for reels of it (Geddit!?)

The outside cord should be tuned to a low G!

Funny you should say that, Wilkinsons is far cheaper than B&Q for hardware, though they have a much smaller range.

In one case I bought a pair ot metal T-shaped plates there, the identical item (clearly from the same factory) cost over 5 times as much in B&Q. Yet Wilkinsons has a presumably costlier (£/sqm) High-Street location.

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with Wilkinsons; it's what Woolworths should have been, and they got the business up and running very quickly in my home town.

Oh, glorified pound shop Wilkinsons is great but, on virtually every other thread, cheap imported Chinese tat is reviled.

HPC certainly reliably offers some of the best value cognitive dissonance on the web. <_<

Oh, glorified pound shop Wilkinsons is great but, on virtually every other thread, cheap imported Chinese tat is reviled.

HPC certainly reliably offers some of the best value cognitive dissonance on the web. <_<

I prefer Home Bargains...

Nothing wrong with a pound shop, if the items are actually worth a pound.

Tat of any origin is to be reviled.

My point is that Wilkinsons sell EXACTLY the same items as B&Q in some cases, at a fraction of the price. Does that suddenly make it tat?

Perhaps you like to pay through the nose at B&Q instead. :rolleyes:

Spooky indeed ;) . Did you succeed?

I did not need to replace the cord, only rethread the existing cord to tighten the tension slightly....I find if the airer is removed after use and put in a dry place like a shed it stops the cord getting weather worn and dirty so soiling the clean wet clothes, or alternatively use a cover, but I do think those rotary airers are an eyesore...I much prefer the old fashioned line between a couple of trees that springs back into a holder given the choice.

...there are many I am sure that would throw the thing away and buy a completely new item I am sure, some people would never consider re-stringing an old one....buy a new one. (not from b&q or homebase).....wonder if they do them for a pound somewhere? ;)

I did not need to replace the cord, only rethread the existing cord to tighten the tension slightly....I find if the airer is removed after use and put in a dry place like a shed it stops the cord getting weather worn and dirty so soiling the clean wet clothes, or alternatively use a cover, but I do think those rotary airers are an eyesore...I much prefer the old fashioned line between a couple of trees that springs back into a holder given the choice.

...there are many I am sure that would throw the thing away and buy a completely new item I am sure, some people would never consider re-stringing an old one....buy a new one. (not from b&q or homebase).....wonder if they do them for a pound somewhere? ;)

I prefer a proper line with a long stick to hoist it up further and a pulley system on one end. I currently have a rotary line but I even when I attempt to get the string tighter it gives again after a few uses.

I prefer a proper line with a long stick to hoist it up further and a pulley system on one end. I currently have a rotary line but I even when I attempt to get the string tighter it gives again after a few uses.

The wooden prop. :)

DSCF0209.JPG