House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Mervyn King Leaves Bank England With Three Leaving Parties, A £597 Silver Napkin Ring And A Huge £10,000 Portrait Of Himself

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392897/What-austerity-Sir-Mervyn-King-leaves-Bank-England-THREE-leaving-parties-597-silver-napkin-ring-huge-10-000-portrait-himself.html

Sir Mervyn King quit the Bank of England with leaving parties and presents costing more than £23,000, including a huge portrait of himself, it emerged today.

The 65-year-old was also presented with a silver napkin ring costing £597 and a £2,505 sculpture of a German politician.

As well as buying the presents, the Bank also footed the bill for three leaving parties at a total cost of more than £10,000.

How very generous and it all counts towards GDP!

Labour MP George Mudie told MSN: ‘If I compare what happened to him and what happens to a nurse or teacher when they retire, I think ordinary people will be outraged at a time of austerity that such money should be lavished on someone who has a £198,000 pension.

You don't have to be a Labour MP to see that.

You don't have to be a Labour MP to see that.

Labour MP George Mudie told MSN: ‘If I compare what happened to him and what happens to a nurse or teacher when they retire, I think ordinary people will be outraged at a time of austerity that such money should be lavished on someone who has a £198,000 pension.

Well one nurse managed to bequeath £520k to the government, but I guess her house earned more than she did, thanks to the Bankrupt of England and the LabourTory Rentier/Fascist Alliance.

Well one nurse managed to bequeath £520k to the government, ....

That's a fair point but I think the quote was referring to the retirement party gifts. A lot of nurses and teachers do seem to be well off these days compared to many similarly qualified workers in the private sector.

The least capable Governor in the Bank's entire 300yr history. Wonder what he'd have made off with if he'd done his job even semi-competently? A national disgrace.

The least capable Governor in the Bank's entire 300yr history. Wonder what he'd have made off with if he'd done his job even semi-competently? A national disgrace.

He always seemed to be able to run rings round the politicians on the Finance Committee but that isn't saying much.

Spent all his time sucking up to the politician that kept in his position. Funny that within years of being given independence the central bank should become such a disgraceful charade. The real damage is difficult to assess - not only the bubbles, the bank runs, the malinvestment, but the priciing out of much of what was left of uk manufacturing, not to mention the total social mess left by his years of manipulation nad pompous posturing.

Like you say a national disgrace.

Well what can you say. This just shows how apathetic and ignorant the electorate are.

Who do they think pays for this? What do they think he has done to deserve such lavish pension and retirement gifts?

He always seemed to be able to run rings round the politicians on the Finance Committee but that isn't saying much.

To be honest the local cabbie would run rings round them. To be honest the local cabbie would probably have done a better job as a central banker.

and, just to help keep him occupied, give him a place to hang out in London and an opportunity to top up his miserly pension earnings...

a seat in the Lords

we really are led by the least amongst us

Edited by JPJPJP

Indeed but I don't think this will be widely accepted for at least another 100 years, when people look back and see what madness the period 1997- 2013+ was

Is it Eddie May doing the Ayatollah?

The actual one:

MKportrait2.jpg

The staff put a small plaque beneath it which reads:

"Legend? Nah, fat knob."

...which looks to me like an anagram of "The Bank of England".

I'm sure he took it in good spirit.