House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Red Is Now Trademarked By Red Bull

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392638/Norwich-microbrewery-employs-just-EIGHT-people-centre-David-Vs-Goliath-battle-Red-Bull-name.html

Soft drinks giant Red Bull has accused a little-known UK microbrewery of infringing its trademark and has demanded it change its name.

The energy drinks firm has sent Norwich-based Redwell Brewing - which only started trading in October and employs just eight staff - a threatening letter insisting it could not use the word 'red' because it owned the trademark.

The Austrian company also objected to the second part of the name 'well' because it ends with the same two letters as 'bull'.

Nice to see global insanity hasn't peaked yet!

I do hope we get a senisble judge here who just declares this to be complete bull5h1t. Damn I hope Red Bull lawyers are reading this as the word bull might be trademarked as well!

If they've trademarked the word Red, will Man U have to change their nickname for trademark infringement?

I doubt it - I suspect they'd only have trademarking rights in certain industries/sectors like drinks.

Shit sugar laced 'energy' drink or what sounds like a nice brewery offering up some decent ales.

Them sectors couldn't be further apart - in fact I'd go as far to say Man Utd and football is closer to red bull, they might at least be a sponsor!

I doubt it - I suspect they'd only have trademarking rights in certain industries/sectors like drinks.

I can see Red Bull's point to some extent. It all depends on the exact classes and wording of their registered trade mark.

One purpose of trade marks is to protect the consumer from imitations, and a line has to be drawn somewhere. Whether Redwell and Red Bull drinks might be confused is a moot point. Red Bull may want to reserve a right to sell alcoholic drinks in the future, and may have included that description in their registrations. And I don't want to buy , say, some Red Bull, only to get home and find it is called Red Bill, made in China and tastes like p***.

Trade mark registrations can be checked free over the internet. Anyone intending to use a trade mark would be foolish not to check and do their groundwork first. I am sure that Redwell have heard of Red Bull, so they are arguably careless.

There may be other matters - does their packaging rip off Red Bull?

I can see Red Bull's point to some extent. It all depends on the exact classes and wording of their registered trade mark.

One purpose of trade marks is to protect the consumer from imitations, and a line has to be drawn somewhere. Whether Redwell and Red Bull drinks might be confused is a moot point. Red Bull may want to reserve a right to sell alcoholic drinks in the future, and may have included that description in their registrations. And I don't want to buy , say, some Red Bull, only to get home and find it is called Red Bill, made in China and tastes like p***.

Trade mark registrations can be checked free over the internet. Anyone intending to use a trade mark would be foolish not to check and do their groundwork first. I am sure that Redwell have heard of Red Bull, so they are arguably careless.

There may be other matters - does their packaging rip off Red Bull?

C'mon, that's bull! And a quick check on their website says they currently only sell kegs! Just bully boy tactics by another too big for its boots corporation.

Guest eight

I am utterly, utterly baffled by the existence of Red Bull and the apparent financial might of its manufacturer.

C'mon, that's bull! And a quick check on their website says they currently only sell kegs! Just bully boy tactics by another too big for its boots corporation.

It's not 'bull', it's 'well' !

I am utterly, utterly baffled by the existence of Red Bull and the apparent financial might of its manufacturer.

Yeah, weird isn't it...?

They sell sweetened fizzy caffeine/water mix just like all the others, but seem to have convinced their customers that their sweetened fizzy caffeine/water mix keeps you awake longer than other sweetened fizzy caffeine/water mixes.

This is explained by some bizarre compound called Taurine - great name as it's BULL - and if a bit of Eastern mysticism can be implied, so much the better.

They sell caffeine and fizzy water...AND PEOPLE BUY THIS SHIT AT TOP-DOLLAR PRICES BY THE CASE-LOAD IN THEIR FRIGGIN' DROVES...!!!

A perfect example of just how totally and utterly f*cked we all are...

:(

XYY

Yeah, weird isn't it...?

They sell sweetened fizzy caffeine/water mix just like all the others, but seem to have convinced their customers that their sweetened fizzy caffeine/water mix keeps you awake longer than other sweetened fizzy caffeine/water mixes.

This is explained by some bizarre compound called Taurine - great name as it's BULL - and if a bit of Eastern mysticism can be implied, so much the better.

They sell caffeine and fizzy water...AND PEOPLE BUY THIS SHIT AT TOP-DOLLAR PRICES BY THE CASE-LOAD IN THEIR FRIGGIN' DROVES...!!!

A perfect example of just how totally and utterly f*cked we all are...

:(

XYY

Just think how stupid the average person is.

Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider.

There's your answer.

Never bought or felt the need to buy a red bull.

Why does anyone buy such sh1t?

Guest eight

Never bought or felt the need to buy a red bull.

Why does anyone buy such sh1t?

I've not bought any and don't know anybody who has. And yet... this company runs two Formula 1 teams, as well as sponsoring every minority interest sport on the planet. Yet only has one product that, seemingly, nobody purchases. What gives?

Yet only has one product that, seemingly, nobody purchases. What gives?

Have you seen the price of it?

Even at wholesale it's more than £6 per litre. Yet it is nothing more than sugary water with a few flavourings added. Manufacturing cost is negligible.

Even at wholesale it's more than £6 per litre. Yet it is nothing more than sugary water with a few flavourings added. Manufacturing cost is negligible.

Yes, margins must be about as high as it is possible to achieve for a mass market soft drink.

I imagine much of their output is consumed with vodka by students.

I thought that.....never bought it myself.......but it does make you wonder why others do buy it, is it the marketing the advertising or peer pressure? why do people believe everything they see or read, why do they follow others in a sheep like fashion?.... fascinating stuff. ;)

Just think how stupid the average person is.

Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider.

There's your answer.

Haha! It's my favourite statistic: 50% of the people in the world are of below average intelligence - but tell that to some people and they'll just look confused...