House Price Crash Forum

How Did Microsoft Manage To Screw Up Their Tablet Os So Badly?

Si1

HOLA441

to find an application in windows 8 all you do is press the windows key and start typing the name of the program, it is faster and easier than windows 7

You don't understand this 'GRAPHICAL user interface' idea, do you?

Besides which, you may not have noticed, but Windows 8 is a TABLET operating system. Why would you want to TYPE the name of a program on a device with no keyboard?

Do you really think that people consider being forced back to the 1980s, where they had to type the name of an application to run it, is an improvement?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

You don't understand this 'GRAPHICAL user interface' idea, do you?

Besides which, you may not have noticed, but Windows 8 is a TABLET operating system. Why would you want to TYPE the name of a program on a device with no keyboard?

Do you really think that people consider being forced back to the 1980s, where they had to type the name of an application to run it, is an improvement?

here is the problem...people buy it for their laptop and their full PC, and yes some things are easier and better than W7, but then you get things like full screen apps that wont multi task and you get tablet users who find the tablet interface isnt quite what they want

The best thing to do with the metro interface is to take the time to move your favourite icons to the left of the screen..indeed, the same applies to a desktop use too.

HOLA444

to find an application in windows 8 all you do is press the windows key and start typing the name of the program, it is faster and easier than windows 7

Good UI design minimises the requirement of switching between keyboard and mouse. If my hand is already on the mouse then a few mouse clicks is a better way of starting a program. And typing requires remembering what the program is actually called, which would be a little bit of a nuisance for something rarely used (sometimes can't even remember exactly what I've got installed).

Microsoft had already buggered up the start menu in Windows 7, but at least it was still kind of usable despite their best attempts to hide all the programs you were trying to find. Windows 8 is an abomination.

It wasn't long before Windows 7 made me find Classic Shell. I believe it works on 8 too.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Good UI design minimises the requirement of switching between keyboard and mouse. If my hand is already on the mouse then a few mouse clicks is a better way of starting a program. And typing requires remembering what the program is actually called, which would be a little bit of a nuisance for something rarely used (sometimes can't even remember exactly what I've got installed).

It wasn't long before Windows 7 made me find Classic Shell. I believe it works on 8 too.

What's " classic shell"?

HOLA448

What's " classic shell"?

It is a program you can download for free online. You install it with a few clicks and it brings back the classic Windows task bar along the bottom, START button and menus.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I think Samsung were selling their Windows 8 PCs with a similar bit of software from Day 1 - presumably they looked at Windows 8 and realised what a disaster it would be?

HOLA449

The problem with this is that if you look at a lot of their recent products, they just don't work so well on the more modest machines that most people will buy, the toolbar in MS office is great if you have a 40" monitor, if you only have a 17" then its constantly in the way. And a 3 GB download seems like nothing when you are connected to an internet backbone in Seattle but is not so good for someone in the Wiltshire countryside with a slow connection.

This has pretty much been the case with Windows since 95. I'm sure it was originally touted (when in development) as needing less resources than 3.1. Needless to say that didn't come to pass.

Apple are going the same. 5+GB download for the latest service pack...ahem....version. FFS. I'm truly amazed as I can count the number of useful features on the fingers of one hand.

HOLA4410

Using Internet explorer. If anyone else is, like me, getting this message 'Scanstyles does not work with Web /Firefox" popup?' when using the Telegraph and other sites Keith_Watford came up with an answer that worked for me.

He posted his solution here on page 3.

Keith_Watford,UK

Had the very same issue with the www.telegraph.co.uk

He altered the IE->Tools- Compatibility View Settings and UNCHECKED "Use Microsoft Compatibility Lists" and the problem disappeared.

I unticked the : 'Use Mirosoft compatibility lists.' and it solved the problem for me.

HOLA4411

It is a program you can download for free online. You install it with a few clicks and it brings back the classic Windows task bar along the bottom, START button and menus.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I think Samsung were selling their Windows 8 PCs with a similar bit of software from Day 1 - presumably they looked at Windows 8 and realised what a disaster it would be?

I use it on Windows 7 to have a start menu that isn't jammed into a fixed size that you need to scroll up and down even when there's plenty of space available to make it bigger, and to fix the mess they'd made with Explorer windows (it's a while now since I've seen the mess there so can't remember exactly what I wanted fixing). Unfortunately it doesn't fix the search.

HOLA4412

I think MS are in big trouble going ahead.

Truth be told, loads of people don't need anything more than a tablet. Most of the stuff people do on-line is consuming data via web surfing, watching videos. For writing the odd email, sending a whatsapp message or buying something then an ipad or other tablet suffices.

The Surface RT should have been 199 quid and they might have got somewhere with it. All moot now as they appear unable to see the writing on the wall.

HOLA4413

Truth be told, loads of people don't need anything more than a tablet. Most of the stuff people do on-line is consuming data via web surfing, watching videos. For writing the odd email, sending a whatsapp message or buying something then an ipad or other tablet suffices.

The Surface RT should have been 199 quid and they might have got somewhere with it. All moot now as they appear unable to see the writing on the wall.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think office 365 integrated via web services and skydrive and outlook is brilliant

That may be their saving grace, either via windows tablets or through better android and cross platform integration (like evernote) or both

HOLA4414

They just announced a much stronger quarter for the Surface. Don't write them off yet - just think how long Apple spent in the wilderness when everyone wondered when they would go under. Microsoft isn't close to that position.

HOLA4415

They just announced a much stronger quarter for the Surface. Don't write them off yet - just think how long Apple spent in the wilderness when everyone wondered when they would go under. Microsoft isn't close to that position.

+1

The new Nokia tablet is getting well reviewed too

HOLA4416

Yes but they did pull the old trick of changing the way they did their financial reporting so direct comparisons with past peformance do need to be treated with caution

http://www.citeworld.com/business/22603/microsoft-first-quarter-earnings

In addittion they kitchen sinked everything on that $900 million write down on the Surface in the previous quarter something that was unlikely to be repeated.

These earnings were largely generated under Ballmer' stewardship .

This begs the question - if MS are generating such great profits why was Ballmer effectively pushed out the door ?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Archived