House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic Apple

Andalusia

I'm heading down to Andalusia in September, plan is to hire a car in Malaga and then drive.. somewhere! I've not planned any more than that (I'm not one of these people who can plan a holiday 6months in advance). So does anyone have any 'must sees' tips in the area?

Alhambra Palace in Granada is a true must see. May as well go to Gibraltar too (but don't drive in - park on the Spanish side and walk). How long are you there for? Travelling alone, with partner or with kids? Interested in any particular things? - history, food, surfing, etc?

Travelling with the girlfriend.

History, nature, scenery and architecture (old, not new), a few days on a quiet beach if one can be found (probably first few and last few days will be slobing on the beach days)

Most definitely Ronda too.

If you're up for lots of driving then cathedral in Cordoba and Seville too. Malaga itself is lovely.

I stumbled across this place when out around Granada a couple of years ago and it was a great find - not expecting to stumble across Robert the Bruce in those parts: http://www.andalucia...a/teba/home.htm. Great museum in the small castle.

This place nearby is great for a night or two if you want something unusual - sort of Moorish spa in a cave: http://www.aljatib.c..._bienvenida.php

I'm heading down to Andalusia in September, plan is to hire a car in Malaga and then drive.. somewhere! I've not planned any more than that (I'm not one of these people who can plan a holiday 6months in advance). So does anyone have any 'must sees' tips in the area?

The Spanish man made fresh water lakes/reservoir that you can swim in near El Chorro.

lakes.jpg

Visit the town of Ronda, if you like trains you can take a return ride on the train to Algeciras. The donkey sanctuary Fuente de Piedra is a nice day out, you can visit the flamingos nearby at the same time. Depending on how far you want to travel the white village of Grazelema and surrounding countryside is also nice. ;)

If you go off the beaten track you can come across some really good family run tapas bars a small beer 1€.

The Spanish man made fresh water lakes/reservoir that you can swim in near El Chorro.

Fantastic, I loved swimming there.

If you're close by and feeling brave, there's the King's Path walk. I warn you it's not for the faint hearted. I did it 20 years ago and virtually shat myself in places. I wouldn't do it again now.

El%20Chorro.gif

Concur with Ronda - stunning views.

Roman ruins, if you're into that sort of thing, Italica near Seville and Baela Claudia near Tarifa.

Some gorgeous unspoilt beaches on the Costa de la Luz (Cadiz) side.

Fantastic, I loved swimming there.

If you're close by and feeling brave, there's the King's Path walk. I warn you it's not for the faint hearted. I did it 20 years ago and virtually shat myself in places. I wouldn't do it again now.

El%20Chorro.gif

I chickened out of this: http://www.travelsofmike.com/travel/conquering-the-cliffside-plank-path-on-hua-shan/

But could probably manage that one ^

Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming :)

Sevilla, Ronda, sneaky trip into Gibraltar just because, quietest beaches are north of Tarifa and don't have turds.

Just watch out with the driving. Proper nutters the Andalucians. :(

Be aware there are still some beaches where raw sewage is pumped out like Nerja. :unsure:

Oh, and if you go in the hills, there are scorpions and tarantulas.

Look for the infamous new build ghost towns!

The alhambra was great, but when i went it was the peak of summer and being inland and hilly (and me generally being an avid walker I walked lots and nearly fainted.) It does get far hotter there than on the coast. like 40-45c hot.

Look for the infamous new build ghost towns!

That reminds me that the set of El Dorado is still in Andalucia somewhere - I can't remember where, but I remember it being pointed out to me when I was living there. A whole town of buildings was created for the set, but they never thought to go the whole hog and put anything useful like plumbing, sewerage, or electrics into them, so it's now sitting there as a ghost town. Or at least it was, when I was there.

Hardly a tourist attraction, but I wouldn't half of given that Pilar one if she'd been around at the time.