House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

Can Cats Pull Muscles?

Sorry for the dumbass question, but someone here might have experienced something similar.

Our cat is limping on one of her back feet. As far as I can see she hasn't cut herself, and the leg doesn't look swollen or infected. The way she moves on it looks almost as if she's pulled a muscle. Every time I decide to take her to the vet, she suddenly starts walking almost normally, and I decide to see how it goes.

It does seem a little better than yesterday, and she's jumping out of downstairs windows and onto patio furniture the same as she normally would. I just wonder if she's pulled a muscle? At 14 the other possibility is arthritis, but it came on suddenly yesterday, so I don't think so.

Any ideas much appreciated :)

Sorry for the dumbass question, but someone here might have experienced something similar.

Our cat is limping on one of her back feet. As far as I can see she hasn't cut herself, and the leg doesn't look swollen or infected. The way she moves on it looks almost as if she's pulled a muscle. Every time I decide to take her to the vet, she suddenly starts walking almost normally, and I decide to see how it goes.

It does seem a little better than yesterday, and she's jumping out of downstairs windows and onto patio furniture the same as she normally would. I just wonder if she's pulled a muscle? At 14 the other possibility is arthritis, but it came on suddenly yesterday, so I don't think so.

Any ideas much appreciated :)

Not entirely sure, it could be a number of things, obviously. But I would have thought cats can pull muscles just like we can, especially if they're old. Fighting with other cats, running scared, falling, bashing it on something, bruising, swelling etc etc. I would say, as with most injuries, keep an eye on it and expect it to heal by itself. If it doesn't seem to be healing in a normal expected timeframe then a trip to the vets would be advisable :)

Not entirely sure, it could be a number of things, obviously. But I would have thought cats can pull muscles just like we can, especially if they're old. Fighting with other cats, running scared, falling, bashing it on something, bruising, swelling etc etc. I would say, as with most injuries, keep an eye on it and expect it to heal by itself. If it doesn't seem to be healing in a normal expected timeframe then a trip to the vets would be advisable :)

Yes, thanks - cats are a bloody nightmare for trying to work out what is wrong. The wife gave her some chicken breast last night because she looked so sorry for herself. Cat immediately perked up, sauntered across the kitchen looking for more, then started limping again half way across as she presumably remembered it was sympathy that got her the last lot. :)

Probably a tendon due to a bad jump (jumping down from too high). Could be worth seeing a vet. Is she overweight?

No she's in pretty good shape, but that's a good point - she does like jumping off the roof.

I agree, probably a tendon as animals usually battle on if it's just muscle pain without any obvious signs.

Should clear up after a few days but if not then a trip to the vets is in order

I caught mine trying to get her head in a wine glass the other weekend.

:lol:

I agree, probably a tendon as animals usually battle on if it's just muscle pain without any obvious signs.

Should clear up after a few days but if not then a trip to the vets is in order

Yep, I'll give it until tomorrow as I'm away all next week and the wife will not be happy trying to get her to the vets on her own :P

A pulled muscle usually clears up in a few days to a week!

I've done it myself whilst leaping of roofs, and trying to get my head in a wine glass!

Could be a thorn - lots of hedges being cut this time of year.

Have a feel. If you can't feel anything, you need to shave its entire body so you can get a closer view of what's going on.

Had to do the same to ours a couple of weeks ago. Found out her leg had just gone to sleep from lying around too long. Wasn't best pleased.

shaved-cat-2.jpg?w=500

:lol:

Cat appears fully recovered this morning, thanks for all the suggestions :)