House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

House Price Crash Diet

My daughter starts school in September so i'll now have the time to prepare wholesome, home cooked meals and was wondering what fuels fellow hpc'ers.

So what's your dish of choice, ingredients, difficulty rating and rough cost.

I would like to reduce our meat intake but not rule it out completely so please feel free to mention if that's what you like and if it might suit a fussy four yesr old. My two year old bot eats anything, helped himself to our hot range stew curry last night.

This week I have £72.08p to spend at sainsbury's (I have one of those spend over £70 for 1400 nectar points) and found a Brand Match 'heres £2.08 towards your next shop' on the floor walking back to the car. I also found two receipts with 22nectar points that I'll put on my card, 11p thank you very much.

Good thread idea.

Me:

Breakfast - non wheat museli with two table spoons of freshly ground linseed. Soya mik.

Lunch - (homemade) with two lean pork sausages, raw cabbage, red pepper, cucumber & carrot. I apple, I tangerine

Dinner - Salmon fillet cooked with coriander, olive oil and cherry tomatoes. Brocoli and new potatoes

Supper - Apple

Neither of us are great cooks, so I can't give any fancy recipes, but I would say to try to get organic vegetables and grass fed meat (if organic is out of the budget - it is for me). That alone will make anything you cook taste fantastic. It's cheaper to source these away outside of the supermarkets, so I use our local butcher for meat, and an online organic veg supplier.

Sample costs - a medium size veg box costs me £13.00 and usually contains seasonal veg, eg a bag of potatoes, 4-5 onions, a cabbage, 4-5 tomatoes, 3-4 leeks, a lettuce and some mushrooms. I went to my butcher on Saturday and bought 4 fillet beef tails, 1kg mince, 6 rashers of bacon and 2 gammon steaks for £25 - the steak was £12. I think you could get quite a lot with your budget.

A simple example for us would be pork or lamb chops, and roasted potato, sweet potato, carrot and onion, with some brocoli or cabbage. Hardly Cordon Bleu but tastes fantastic, and very simple.

Easy pizzas?

2 medium thin crust pizza’s - (300g flour (I use a mix of plain and wholemeal), 1 tbsp yeast, 1 spoon honey, salt, 100g mozza, 100g cheddar, bbq sauce (PM for recipe or google your own, I use LOADS less sugar than any I’ve found), toppings of your choice).

... and found a Brand Match 'heres £2.08 towards your next shop' on the floor walking back to the car.

Will that work with your card? I'd have assumed that the voucher would only work with the Nectar card for which it had been issued, though I could be wrong.

Can't help with the cooking since I'm crap at it, but I may have saved you embarrassment at the checkout!

Edit: Or perhaps you meant your own floor!

I grow or scrounge a lot of veg. So I eat seasonally.

I and everyone around me are currently noshing on stuff that can't be stored - courgettes, cucumbers, summer squash, tomatoes, lettuces. It's been a bountiful summer so far.

Surpluses of stuff like french beans, chard, red currants are getting banged into the freezer. Stuff that can be kept in the ground - beetroot, kohlrabi, onions, cabbages are being pulled as needed. Pumpkins, wild mushrooms, apples and pears, chestnuts, brambles, should start coming on-line soon. Autumn/ winter veg such as hardy salad stuff, spinach, leeks, parsnips, are in the ground or will be planted out shortly.

Cost? A shed load of time which means at this time of year you haven't got that much time left over to do anything elaborate on the cooking/ preparation front. Take your fresh veg. Heat it up if required. Pour some olive oil on it. Serve it up with a chunk of dead animal of your choice.

Not much help to someone who hasn't got the time or inclination to grow their own but anyone can try and follow the seasons a little bit with their choice of veggies. It should work out cheaper, the stuff is more likely to not have come from the other side of the world and following the cycle of the year appeals in a squishy, intangible sort of way.

Grilled whole fresh rainbow trout (£2), with roasted butternut squash (30p) and boiled sweetcorn (10p). Delicious!

Prices are per person. Easy to do. The squash takes 5 minutes to prep and 40 minutes to cook, everything else fits into that time slot so 45 mins total, although long spells with nothing to do.

Truly phenomenal crop of blackberries ripening in hedgerows this year.

Yes, it makes up for last year which was pants (in my neck of the woods anyway). A zero on the wild mushroom front last year as well.

Fingers crossed...

Yes, it makes up for last year which was pants (in my neck of the woods anyway). A zero on the wild mushroom front last year as well.

Fingers crossed...

I think last year was a complete washout for wild foods in general - blackberries were particularly few down here in South Wales, and were mostly small and sour. This year looks like it'll be a bumper crop! Saw plenty of shrooms on the playing fields the other day (of the psilocybin variety I think!) so hopefully there'll be some good edible ones around too.... :)

Breakfast - non wheat museli with two table spoons of freshly ground linseed. Soya mik.

Lunch - (homemade) with two lean pork sausages, raw cabbage, red pepper, cucumber & carrot. I apple, I tangerine

Dinner - Salmon fillet cooked with coriander, olive oil and cherry tomatoes. Brocoli and new potatoes

Supper - Apple

My best meal suggestion, breakfast of champions:

I used to eat non-wheat muesli every day (due to an annoying recently acquired intolerance), but I recently discovered the wonder that is quinoa porridge (a personal creation) - either made with the flakes, or as I prefer, the whole seeds, slow simmered in x3 volume of milk (they absorb a lot) with loads of powdered spices (mixed spice, cinnamon, nutmeg) and a handful of currents.

Make one big batch per week which is stored in the fridge (it goes firm like a cake) and then doled out of the tupperware each morning, thinned out with fresh milk and sprinkled with shavings of refrigerated coconut oil and ground linseeds/hemp seeds for that crunchy nutty omega goodness! Chopped banana and walnuts optional!

I challenge anyone to tell me that it's not the most delicious and nutritious breakfast in the world :)

Since April I have caught and eaten mackerel most nights (interspersed with the occasional moules marinieres if I draw a blank, see 'food bank' thread on main forum)

This year after a cold start which delayed their appearance by about 4 weeks, the mackerel have been plentiful - I generally fish a line of feathers from the beach and stop when I have caught 6 fish. This year it has taken about 30 minutes. I could fill up the freezer but I don't as mackerel are best eaten fresh and at least within 2 days of catching, and the mackerel season is something to look forward to each year.

Unfortunately, as it signals the end of both summer and mackerel, the blackberries are about to start and crab apples and sloes will be along in a couple of months. Crab apple and sloe jelly goes very well with road kill, see below

I will quite happily pick up roadkill any time of year if it wasn't there 8 hours earlier - rabbit (if the eyes don't indicate mixy), hare (excellent) and pheasant, which I'm not overly excited about but it's a shame to let it go to waste.

None of the above is done to save money per se, just tastes good.

I challenge anyone to tell me that it's not the most delicious and nutritious breakfast in the world :)

You keep your bird food (Had my fill of quinoa as a vegan - even if it is tasty)

I'll stick to double bacon and eggs ;)

I have an allotment and have bumper crops of everything this year. I put ten inches of well-rotted cow manure across the plot last November (1.5 tons), and that plus the wet spring and decent last few weeks have produced extraordinary crops. I also hear of bumper apple crops being predicted and (as others have noted) big, big blackberry crops everywhere. I have a single Garden Pearl bush tomato (open ground) with 150-200 fruit on. Best year I've ever had as a grower. I'm giving surplus stuff away daily.

Lots of good vegetables in the shops! I don't do gardening myself! The last few years have been a bit dire for growing stuff! :unsure:

My daughter starts school in September so i'll now have the time to prepare wholesome, home cooked meals and was wondering what fuels fellow hpc'ers.

So what's your dish of choice, ingredients, difficulty rating and rough cost.

I would like to reduce our meat intake but not rule it out completely so please feel free to mention if that's what you like and if it might suit a fussy four yesr old. My two year old bot eats anything, helped himself to our hot range stew curry last night.

This week I have £72.08p to spend at sainsbury's (I have one of those spend over £70 for 1400 nectar points) and found a Brand Match 'heres £2.08 towards your next shop' on the floor walking back to the car. I also found two receipts with 22nectar points that I'll put on my card, 11p thank you very much.

Buy a slow cooker. Each morning throw in all the cheap veg you can find - small portion of meat, potatoes, season and either make a sauce or buy one. Turn on slow cooker. Ignore it completely for the rest of the day and have some fun.

Dinner will be nutritious, home made, cheap and tasty.

Buy a slow cooker. Each morning throw in all the cheap veg you can find - small portion of meat, potatoes, season and either make a sauce or buy one. Turn on slow cooker. Ignore it completely for the rest of the day and have some fun.

Marvellous! I need one! It's one of the kitchen gadgets I've always liked! I also have never had a microwave, and I am tempted to get one! I have a pr%ssure c@@ker, which is marvellous, and can make a stew in 30 minutes (nice in Winter!), but the NSA might be listening, courtesy of GCHQ! :blink:

Yes, I'm a big fan. Chuck it all in and leave. It's as if someone's done the cooking for you!

Just come back in from my evening constitutional.

The brambles are already carrying a splendid crop of blackberries. Loads of sloes as well - but you're supposed to wait for a frost or two.

I'm also fortunate in having a fair range of fruit and nut trees (apples & pears (various), hazelnuts and walnuts mainly (also cherries and, as yet fruitless, peaches)) which are similarly fecund. Looking forward to apple and blackberry crumbles and jam.

Sorry, the OP wanted a recipe. Breakfast is the king of all meals so I'll nominated kedgeree.

Pick them when black and put them in the freezer overnight

Yeah, the frost thing is supposedly related to splitting the skins to save you having to ***** them when making sloe gin etc (also, by the time a frost comes, they will probably be at their ripest/sweetest). But if you wait that long they've often all been picked already!

EDIT: Ahahaha! The swear filter doesn't like the word that you normally use to describe inserting a pin into something. I'm not suggesting anyone do anything rude with their sloes :D