House Price Crash Forum

Home Buyer Activity Picking Up Across Uk, Surveyors Say

Isnt this what we want? It proves the bubble curve, this is the perfect dead cat bounce...ok its had a bit of a kick by help to buy etc, but that can only kick it so far.......

Banks may proceed to release the pent up* reposession stock as well if they think they can get a proffit, and all the BTLers who have had their fingers burnt will want out too, people who need to downsize for one reason or another, lots of stock on the market all comepting for the same pound coin..... this could be the perfect storm comming and all before the second step of help to buy.

*houses not yet reposessed as well as land banks etc being held waiting for a rise

Exactly. Nobody here seems to be thinking of the pent up supply that is getting a massive hardon as we speak.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly this will just give EAs the opportunity to ramp asking prices higher and higher... and for sellers to refuse to take any kind of offer below their deluded asking price.

Owners perceiving higher price environment, should in theory trigger more sellers to come to market. Hoping to see more inventory to the market.

Paraphrasing Cheeznbreed, at least all those HTB buyers of newbuilds are no longer going to be competition for the secondary housing stock.

Also many of these HTB newbuild buyers will be leaving rented, leaving landlords having to find replacement tenants. HTB2 I'm a bit more concerned about.

We've been up against it. Older owners counting their HPI 'wanting what it's worth'. The media not asking any real questions but loving HPI. All the property VI's inc Shipside's (This is how markets work). 'Younger people need to sacrifice'/ 'stop buying ipods'. Wave after wave of attack, but I'm battle-hardened, waiting for their position to weaken.

The government have proved there is no risk and will do whatever is necessary to keep prices high.

Forbearance on repossessions, SMI up to 200k. mortgage guarantees for 15% up to 600k mortgage, interest free deposits on new build, low low mortgage rates via FLS. Wait for MIRAS before the election plus some more schemes to 'help' buyers.

Who would have predicted a Tory government would act against a free market capitalist economy. They are doing thing even Brown would not do. Even if inflation reaches 5% rates will not increase as the standard get-out clause is that inflation will be on target in two years ... as Merv did.

Owners perceiving higher price environment, should in theory trigger more sellers to come to market. Hoping to see more inventory to the market.

Paraphrasing Cheeznbreed, at least all those HTB buyers of newbuilds are no longer going to be competition for the secondary housing stock.

Also many of these HTB newbuild buyers will be leaving rented, leaving landlords having to find replacement tenants. HTB2 I'm a bit more concerned about.

We've been up against it. Older owners counting their HPI 'wanting what it's worth'. The media not asking any real questions but loving HPI. All the property VI's inc Shipside's (This is how markets work). 'Younger people need to sacrifice'/ 'stop buying ipods'. Wave after wave of attack, but I'm battle-hardened, waiting for their position to weaken.

Here's an interesting piece on that front:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/houseprices/10239392/Return-of-first-time-buyer-sparks-rise-in-unlet-property.html

Return of first-time-buyer sparks rise in unlet property

A study by a credit ratings agency suggests that as buyers return to the housing market some landlords are struggling to find tenants.

Britain’s recovering housing market risks causing a glut in the rental space, with the number of properties advertised to let increasing sharply between April and June.

Research by Experian, the credit referencing agency, showed the number of properties listed "to let" in the UK increased by 11.4 per cent in those months compared to the same period last year.

London led the increase in properties to let with a 26pc rise over the period. This compared to a 2pc increase in the number of homes being listed for resale in the capital.

Wales and the East of England were the only areas in the UK to see a fall in the number of properties being listed for rent - down 0.08pc and 3.2pc respectively.

Experian's research suggests that tenants - where they can afford to - are leaving the rented sector and buying property. This trend is being helped by growing mortgage availability and rising house prices. The latest data from lenders' body the Council of Mortgage Lenders showed first-time buyers are more active in the market now than at any point since 2007.

Experian's Jonathan Westley commented: “Some lenders and estate agents are reporting improvement in the housing market, with the Council of Mortgage Lenders data showing confidence and activity growing strongly at the bottom of the property ladder."

Figures from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, published today, showed house prices rose in July for a fourth consecutive month, marking their fastest growth since November 2006.

It is unclear how severely - if at all - an uptick in homebuying could dent the buy-to-let market, which has been in rude health through much of the financial crisis.

Landlord lending has boomed in the past few years, with CML figures showing £5.1bn was advanced to landlords in the three months to the end of June, almost a third higher than the figure for the same period in 2012.

Another study published today - the HomeLet Rental Index - suggested rental prices had still been rising.

It suggested the overall average cost of renting a home in the UK increased by 1.8pc in July to £826, up 3.6pc on a year earlier and setting a new high.

Renting in London now costs almost £1,300 a month, on average.

However, rents in South-East England were reported as falling - at £841 compared to £851 a year earlier.

Andy Richards of HomeLet Business said: “Tenants already seem to be facing increasingly expensive rental prices due to the lack of mortgage availability, so it will be interesting to see if the new Help to Buy scheme helps to ease the pressure."

HomeLet_Rental_Ind_2642592b.jpg

edit to add I'm not sure about the rent values and changes quoted btw, they are at odds with ONS data which in the absence of other info I'd be inclined to put more faith in (rightly or wrongly).

Edited by cheeznbreed

They will have to define an exit strategy for htb. The rating agencies have already warned about the scheme. Take London. Does htb just chase the market up and up! if they are driving the value of the pound down to drive exports I guess it also makes it cheaper for foreigners to buy?

They will have to define an exit strategy for htb. The rating agencies have already warned about the scheme. Take London. Does htb just chase the market up and up! if they are driving the value of the pound down to drive exports I guess it also makes it cheaper for foreigners to buy?

Of course,nothing is free, it just sets a new base level of debt and liability which is the intention.

All this is only sustainable with inflation busting wage rises.

Of course,nothing is free, it just sets a new base level of debt and liability which is the intention.

All this is only sustainable with inflation busting wage rises.

:lol: needs to be more than busting and that is those lucky enough to have a job.......due to the rising cost of our housing we are pricing ourselves out of world markets. ;)

Selling pickaxes during a gold rush

[b]If[/b] house prices rising are so good for the economy then why not cash in and buy some Carpet Right shares? You don't have to own property to make money from rising prices.

There again if you do not think rises are sustainable you could always try shoring the market STR, rent etc.

Was thinking the same thing, or maybe god forbid..... join the party and buy in the UK hopefully with HTB (if I am eligible?)

Yes, but that's the way it is, try not to get uptight about it, these things take time with many false dawns along the way. My best guess is that they may manage to keep prices artificially high until about the end of the decade or at least until after the election. If they don't it won't be for want of trying. Patience.

Patience... I have had 10 years of patience. I don't have another 7 years+ I am seriously quite worried about what to do now

IMHO they will feed the ponzi at least until the election ... well that's the plan. The big question is whether they have started the sprint to the finish line too early. If George was doing this in a years time to get HPI for early in the new year with a few months to the election then I can see the reasoning. But with two years to go (OK 20 months) these action must work or George is dead in the water and the election is lost. They need HPI at any cost and I do mean any cost ... so expect MIRAS before long.

It could all blow up in their faces within a few months if prices in London start to fall and that must be the worry, so they need the rest of the country to take up the slack and get some HPI going.

I agree with this (just posted similar elsewhere.)

Every month that goes by, the UK finances get worse despite whatever Osborne says. 10 year gilt yields are close to two-year highs and looking to move higher. The best Dave & Co. can come up with is "Why not buy a house?" Pathetic imo. Osborne's deficit fauxsterity chickens have to come home to roost sometime.

Edited by cheeznbreed

IMHO they will feed the ponzi at least until the election ... well that's the plan. The big question is whether they have started the sprint to the finish line too early. If George was doing this in a years time to get HPI for early in the new year with a few months to the election then I can see the reasoning. But with two years to go (OK 20 months) these action must work or George is dead in the water and the election is lost. They need HPI at any cost and I do mean any cost ... so expect MIRAS before long.

It could all blow up in their faces within a few months if prices in London start to fall and that must be the worry, so they need the rest of the country to take up the slack and get some HPI going.

This HTB scheme is todays MIRAS replacement really if you think about it. If they bring in MIRAS on top of this then this must be the most rigged government interfered housing market in the world. There seems to be no lengths they won't go to to prop up prices. It has to be because all the MP's and local government have 2 or 3 + houses and are in BTL up to their necks. In 1990 the BTL mortgage wasn't around and people had more morals, so a crash was allowed.

HtB 1 is an interest free deposit loan for five years so yes rather like MIRAS, but HtB 2 is just a mortgage guarantee for the banks rather than free money for the home owner (so there to bail out the banks when they make the sub-prime loans ... the underlying purpose of HtB 2) so MIRAS could be used as a bribe for all 'home owners' to help them get into more debt by over paying for property, but keeping the monthly 'bank rental' affordable.

Don't know about MIRAS but certainly expect an escalation in government intervention. The more money they pump in, the more they need to add to it to prevent "losses". They will make it impossible for anyone to sell a house for less than they paid for it, with government underwriting the "price promise" guarantee to protect buyers and lenders. That's how markets work.

Patience... I have had 10 years of patience. I don't have another 7 years+ I am seriously quite worried about what to do now

Join the club! If you have any ideas, please let me know cos I'm stumped! I used to at least be able to console myself that interest on my savings was covering more than 50% of my rent. It is now just over a quarter and will fall further when my fixed rate ISA ends in December. I'm now more worried about return OF capital, rather than return ON capital. I ain't buying a house and I ain't spending it. I feel like I'm in some kind of suspended animation.

Join the club! If you have any ideas, please let me know cos I'm stumped! I used to at least be able to console myself that interest on my savings was covering more than 50% of my rent. It is now just over a quarter and will fall further when my fixed rate ISA ends in December. I'm now more worried about return OF capital, rather than return ON capital. I ain't buying a house and I ain't spending it. I feel like I'm in some kind of suspended animation.

.....all this blatant manipulation makes me angry also, you try and to the right thing but they see to it ordinary people are penalised whatever they do, house prices going up and up are not important to the majority of people in this country....I do suspect it will all backfire one day in the not to distant future, they can't fight the flow of the water it will always find the way through eventually......forever accumulating debt and price increases in everything will not make us rich ;)

.....all this blatant manipulation makes me angry also, you try and do the right thing but they see to it ordinary people are penalised whatever they do, house prices going up and up are not important to the majority of people in this country....I do suspect it will all backfire one day in the not to distant future, they can't fight the flow of the water it will always find the way through eventually......forever accumulating debt and price increases in everything will not make us rich ;)

Yeah, that is the dumbest mistake I ever ******ing made! If I had my time again, I'd strangle personal responsibility to death before I was out of my teens.

Yeah, that is the dumbest mistake I ever ******ing made! If I had my time again, I'd strangle personal responsibility to death before I was out of my teens.

Yep....makes you look at the saying 'Lead by example' in a new and different way......can't beat 'em join 'em...that is what they want you to do, but it is up to you....two wrongs don't make it right. ;)