House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Home Buyer Activity Picking Up Across Uk, Surveyors Say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23668507

Home buyer activity is increasing fastest in parts of the UK where prices have been the most depressed, an industry survey says.

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics) said that buyers were now returning to the market in their biggest numbers for four years.

The largest rise in activity came in the West Midlands and the North East.

Overall, Rics said prices rose faster in July than at any time since the housing market peak in November 2006.

Every region saw prices rise, Rics said, although London and the areas around it continued to see the biggest price increases.

O happy dayz!

Little George will be happy reading this...

Another vomit inducing piece from the BBC.

They really are determined to alienate the younger generations aren't they?

I notice their second story, directly below is,

_69252647_for.sale.york.pa.jpgHousing pick-up 'spreads across UK'

Activity amongst home buyers is increasing fastest in parts of the UK where prices have been depressed, an industry survey says.

_69253699_pa1.jpgProtests as rail fare rises expected

Millions of commuters are braced to find out how much regulated rail fares will increase by next year as unions call for renationalisation.

huh.gifmad.gif

Edited by sleeping dog

This was covered as a lead news item just now on Radio 4 'Today' programme featuring Merryn Somerset-Webb and government representative. When pressed by Evan Davis, the latter was only prepared to say that house price rises are bad IF they are due to not enough houses being built.

Miles Shipside on Radio 5 just scored an own goal by saying that "this is how markets work" only to be told by a Priced Out spokesman that it is no longer a market.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/housing-market-recovery-hot-property-but-is-it-safe-to-get-on-the-ladder-now-8758225.html

Housing market recovery: Hot property (but is it safe to get on the ladder now?)

Mark Carney’s only been in the job a few weeks and already he seems to have fixed the housing market. But should we be celebrating a surge in lending to first-time buyers?

FFS is this really the quality of journalism we have in this country. Mark Carney after a few weeks has "fixed" the housing market!

Jeeze, it was a absolute spunkfest on Radio 4 this morning, I got completely whitewashed! It really did sound like a 10 minute promotional campaign paid for by the VI's. Except it was 'free', all courtesy of BBC Pravda!!

Sadly this will just give EAs the opportunity to ramp asking prices higher and higher... and for sellers to refuse to take any kind of offer below their deluded asking price.

Yep. I'm thinking of some vendors that we saw a couple of weeks ago who weren't willing (or able) to accept a penny less than the price they paid at the height of the boom. They're probably sitting there now having breakfast and thinking they ought to jack the price up a bit, because in 3 weeks time they could probably sell for a 25% profit.

Seriously, the more nuts this gets, the better IMO. If we're going to have to have an attempt at blowing up the bubble again, let's get it over and done with nice and quickly instead of one that builds over ten years like the last one.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/housing-market-recovery-hot-property-but-is-it-safe-to-get-on-the-ladder-now-8758225.html

FFS is this really the quality of journalism we have in this country. Mark Carney after a few weeks has "fixed" the housing market!

Just for you:

cheeznbreed ‏@cheeznbreed 9s

Is this supposed to be a serious article @BenChu_ ? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/housing-market-recovery-hot-property-but-is-it-safe-to-get-on-the-ladder-now-8758225.html … It reads and looks like a wind-up.

Yep. I'm thinking of some vendors that we saw a couple of weeks ago who weren't willing (or able) to accept a penny less than the price they paid at the height of the boom. They're probably sitting there now having breakfast and thinking they ought to jack the price up a bit, because in 3 weeks time they could probably sell for a 25% profit.

Seriously, the more nuts this gets, the better IMO. If we're going to have to have an attempt at blowing up the bubble again, let's get it over and done with nice and quickly instead of one that builds over ten years like the last one.

Problem is, all those who might have been wavering towards finally thinking HPI isn't all that and actually, things are a bit nuts and need to change, will now be back to their previous state of mind, that HPI is the greatest thing ever and they will forget all about the possibility of prices ever falling again! Their memories will have been erased in a Men In Black style. The whole sentiment shift will have to start again and it had hardly shifted that much in the first place. This is seriously bad news.

Problem is, all those who might have been wavering towards finally thinking HPI isn't all that and actually, things are a bit nuts and need to change, will now be back to their previous state of mind, that HPI is the greatest thing ever and they will forget all about the possibility of prices ever falling again! Their memories will have been erased in a Men In Black style. The whole sentiment shift will have to start again and it had hardly shifted that much in the first place. This is seriously bad news.

Anyone who has been wavering and thinking that "things are a bit nuts and need to change" is hardly going to reverse that conclusion when they see things getting even nuttier.

+1

Give it 2 months and this will be feeding through to the Land Reg figures so more ramping headlines then.

If they create another bubble now and then prices crash do they only fall back to where they are today or to around 2003 prices? I suspect the former.

This was covered as a lead news item just now on Radio 4 'Today' programme featuring Merryn Somerset-Webb and government representative. When pressed by Evan Davis, the latter was only prepared to say that house price rises are bad IF they are due to not enough houses being built.

Miles Shipside on Radio 5 just scored an own goal by saying that "this is how markets work" only to be told by a Priced Out spokesman that it is no longer a market.

A healthy market being more transactions a healthy turnover of stock.......what we have is the BTL brigade buying the FTBer stock, taking it out of the market completely to keep it long-term for rent only, that only helps to push up the few quality stock left in the better places... ;)

Anyone who has been wavering and thinking that "things are a bit nuts and need to change" is hardly going to reverse that conclusion when they see things getting even nuttier.

They will consider it a momentary lapse of reason. How on earth could I have ever doubted the joy of perpetual house price increases! All hail our lord and master HPI!!

I'll use my Dad as a bench mark. I'd just about got him round to my way of thinking. I full expect this weekend he will be questioning my wisdom once again!

They will consider it a momentary lapse of reason. How on earth could I have ever doubted the joy of perpetual house price increases! All hail our lord and master HPI!!

I'll use my Dad as a bench mark. I'd just about got him round to my way of thinking. I full expect this weekend he will be questioning my wisdom once again!

Well do be sure to let us all know on Monday, won't you?

+1

Give it 2 months and this will be feeding through to the Land Reg figures so more ramping headlines then.

If they create another bubble now and then prices crash do they only fall back to where they are today or to around 2003 prices? I suspect the former.

I'd not even thought that far ahead! It is bound to turn the indices positive and so we could have months of this propaganda being regurgitated over and over. Any waverers will soon go back to the sheeple fold.

Jeeze, it was a absolute spunkfest on Radio 4 this morning, I got completely whitewashed! It really did sound like a 10 minute promotional campaign paid for by the VI's. Except it was 'free', all courtesy of BBC Pravda!!

Agreed. Absolutely ******ing awful from BBCPravda. Shockingly bad.

bush_sheep.jpg

This way little sheep, this way :ph34r:

Most people are suckers for spin and propaganda. particularly if it's what they want to hear.

I find the best way to see what's really going on is to use the house I'm renting, of which there are a few similar always on the market or for rent, as a benchmark as to whether it's better to rent or buy. Safe to say, I'm considerably better off having rented it for the last seven years.